Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Props to halftime adjustments
I still wish ZT would focus on being a head coach and not a play caller but I have been so impressed with halftime adjustments this year.

It seems that every game this year we come out with a great plan in the 2nd half and that is 100% coaching.

I remember the days of Marvin. We always had a good game plan to start the game but adjusted very poorly as the game went on. This team is totally different. They feel the game out, adjust, and then come out and attack weaknesses. How refreshing.

Kudo's to ZT and the rest of the coaching staff.

If we can just be a little more creative offensively early in games, i.e. a screen to slow the blitz or no QB's sneaks on 2nd and 1 we might be on to something.

Nitpicking aside, hard to complain about today. Who Dey!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, totally different coaching from yesteryears! I guess all Zac needed was time, see first hand what works and what doesn't. Looks like the last two years he took notes and did the homework. He is earning his way.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Not to disappoint, but it has pretty much been confirmed by every professional football coach that half time adjustments are a fallacy. As a matter of fact there was a recent thread where several current and past coaches were quoted saying exactly that half time adjustments are a fallacy as they don't have time to adjust anything.

There's the original gameplan, play calling and mid-week study and that's it.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 10:10 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: I still wish ZT would focus on being a head coach and not a play caller but I have been so impressed with halftime adjustments this year.

It seems that every game this year we come out with a great plan in the 2nd half and that is 100% coaching.  

I remember the days of Marvin.  We always had a good game plan to start the game but adjusted very poorly as the game went on.  This team is totally different.  They feel the game out, adjust, and then come out and attack weaknesses.  How refreshing.

Kudo's to ZT and the rest of the coaching staff.

If we can just be a little more creative offensively early in games, i.e. a screen to slow the blitz or no QB's sneaks on 2nd and 1 we might be on to something.

Nitpicking aside, hard to complain about today.  Who Dey!

Yes it is very refreshing to see the Bengals come out of halftime with adjustments that actually work instead of making one scratch their head.  

Thought we would use more screens today to counter all the blitzing the Ravens bring at teams as well. 

Yet with 41 points scored, I'm not complaining. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 10:16 PM)Stewy Wrote: Not to disappoint, but it has pretty much been confirmed by every professional football coach that half time adjustments are a fallacy. As a matter of fact there was a recent thread where several current and past coaches were quoted saying exactly that half time adjustments are a fallacy as they don't have time to adjust anything.

There’s some truth to that, and adjustments are made throughout the flow of the game, although the sentiment still applies in regards to this staff.
Reply/Quote
Half time adjustments, in the world that the game plans change dramatically are a myth. That said you do get to have a conversation with all stake holders and we have been told by Latham that Burrow has demanded certain changes during halftime and I think that is really the difference maker. The guy on the field tells the coaches what he see and is thinking and they adjust to what he is comfortable with.
Reply/Quote
Half time adjustments/no half time adjustments, we have come out the half on fire every game this season. It's a good feeling knowing things will heat up after the half.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor has impressed me with his ability to win the players over, his motivational capabilities and I do think his game management decisions are (Generally) much better than what we had under Marvin. Very rarely do we waste timeouts, very rarely do we waste challenges, very rarely do we make 4th down calls that are in opposition to the analytics. The one black mark on his record regarding game management was his play calling in GB when he ran on 3rd down prior to the potential game winning kick(s). They felt like give up plays and relying on the kick rather than playing for the TD and settling for the kick when needed. But that is more of a playcalling issue than a game management issue.

And that is where we get to Zac's major weakness as a head coach; his playcalling. He's not the worst in the NFL by any means, but his lack of success on third and short is actually staggering. Twice today the Bengals opened a series with a 9 yard run and both times they ended up at 4th and 1. That's ***** crazy. One they did convert, but his inability to secure short yardage scenarios is something he really needs to work on. I made a joke in the gameday chat that he should hire a coordinator whose only job is to call 3rd and short plays...but it's actually how I feel haha.

If we hire a bright, young offensive mind as our OC (or, if Callahan is that) I do think it would be a major improvement for that person to call the plays, at least on third down. That's what KC did for a few years with Bieniemy, I believe.

But, I digress. Zac has shown he knows how to build and manage a team and while I wish he'd hand off playcalling duties, he isn't horrific at it, so they'll probably keep that going as well. Unless we have a monumental collapse in the 2nd half of the season, I think Zac will be here for at least 2 to 3 more years (and potentially much longer).
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 10:16 PM)Stewy Wrote: Not to disappoint, but it has pretty much been confirmed by every professional football coach that half time adjustments are a fallacy. As a matter of fact there was a recent thread where several current and past coaches were quoted saying exactly that half time adjustments are a fallacy as they don't have time to adjust anything.

Yeah, I was going to mention this. I know a guy who coached at the NCAA level and also confirmed this - halftime adjustments aren’t really a thing.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Zac Taylor has impressed me with his ability to win the players over, his motivational capabilities and I do think his game management decisions are (Generally) much better than what we had under Marvin. Very rarely do we waste timeouts, very rarely do we waste challenges, very rarely do we make 4th down calls that are in opposition to the analytics. The one black mark on his record regarding game management was his play calling in GB when he ran on 3rd down prior to the potential game winning kick(s). They felt like give up plays and relying on the kick rather than playing for the TD and settling for the kick when needed. But that is more of a playcalling issue than a game management issue.

And that is where we get to Zac's major weakness as a head coach; his playcalling. He's not the worst in the NFL by any means, but his lack of success on third and short is actually staggering. Twice today the Bengals opened a series with a 9 yard run and both times they ended up at 4th and 1. That's ***** crazy. One they did convert, but his inability to secure short yardage scenarios is something he really needs to work on. I made a joke in the gameday chat that he should hire a coordinator whose only job is to call 3rd and short plays...but it's actually how I feel haha.

If we hire a bright, young offensive mind as our OC (or, if Callahan is that) I do think it would be a major improvement for that person to call the plays, at least on third down. That's what KC did for a few years with Bieniemy, I believe.

But, I digress. Zac has shown he knows how to build and manage a team and while I wish he'd hand off playcalling duties, he isn't horrific at it, so they'll probably keep that going as well. Unless we have a monumental collapse in the 2nd half of the season, I think Zac will be here for at least 2 to 3 more years (and potentially much longer).

Play-calling looked damn-fine to me.

As I said in the other thread, one can only comment from hindsight.

If the sneak/other plays are executed and not blown up, you wouldn't comment on getting to 4th down, 'cause we wouldn't have.

It's one thing if you run a drag at 7 yards (that's caught), when you need 9 for the FD, it's another to call a play that should get you a yard, but you don't execute and it doesn't work. The first is actual bad play-calling (and Zac hasn't called anything close to that, this year). The other is poor execution and really, has nothing to do with the playcall.

EDIT* we had a back and forth about this in the offseason; that kind of criticism is nitpicking/complaining, just to complain/nitpick.

Until Zac calls numerous plays that even if executed correctly, don't end up with a positive result, the person criticising is only playing armchair OC and from a position of hindsight, which isn't, "fair."
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 10:15 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Yes, totally different coaching from yesteryears! I guess all Zac needed was time, see first hand what works and what doesn't. Looks like the last two years he took notes and did the homework. He is earning his way.

He also needed the personnel.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Play-calling looked damn-fine to me.

As I said in the other thread, one can only comment from hindsight.

If the sneak/other plays are executed and not blown up, you wouldn't comment on getting to 4th down, 'cause we wouldn't have.

It's one thing if you run a drag at 7 yards (that's caught), when you need 9 for the FD, it's another to call a play that should get you a yard, but you don't execute and it doesn't work. The first is actual bad play-calling (and Zac hasn't called anything close to that, this year). The other is poor execution and really, has nothing to do with the playcall.

EDIT* we had a back and forth about this in the offseason; that kind of criticism is nitpicking/complaining, just to complain/nitpick.

Until Zac calls numerous plays that even if executed correctly, don't end up with a positive result, the person criticising is only playing armchair OC and from a position of hindsight, which isn't, "fair."

Then the team is really bad at executing on third and short. The coaching should work on that.

Edit: But to expound on that, the announcers mentioned after that failed QB sneak that it looked like Bynes called something out that was probably either some tell from us running QB sneaks in the past or maybe just his knowledge of the team having played with us last year. Either way, the defense predicted the playcall and had the exact way to stop it.

A sneak when you need 1 yard is...fine playcalling. But if you are doing something so obvious that it can be picked out pre-play, you're becoming a predictable playcaller. Not to mention an uncreative playcaller.

I really liked the playcall of the mixon touchdown last week on 4th and 1. I'd love to see them go play action or pass out of a heavy set more often on 2nd or 3rd and short plays. When the entire defense is on the LOS on your 2nd or 3rd and 1 play, I think a good playcaller (whether that be ZT or Burrow) should check out of that run and try something over the top. And I think that has, in general, taken a toll on their 3rd and short success rate. It just feels very "by the book."

"It's 3rd and short. That means we run because (insert reasons)." I don't like that style of playcalling. The best playcallers in the NFL are daring, creative and adaptive. And these 3rd and short play calls have not been any of those things.

Again, Zac seems to be good at playcalling in normal scenarios and may even have a better conversion rate on 3rd and long than he does on 3rd and short. I just think it's a mental block at this point.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Then the team is really bad at executing on third and short. The coaching should work on that.

I don't disagree and I don't know why sneaks/RB dives aren't working more, especially with the larger skill players we have.

Personally, I think Hopkins just doesn't have the brute force that is necessary for getting push, but that's just me; I may be completely off.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't disagree and I don't know why sneaks/RB dives aren't working more, especially with the larger skill players we have.

Personally, I think Hopkins just doesn't have the brute force that is necessary for getting push, but that's just me; I may be completely off.

I agree. I think our short running game needs a lot of work on the execution side. It should be a safe play to call a run on 3rd and short but, for this offensive line, it's anything but. It may be Hopkins. It may be something else, I'm not sure.

I edited my above response to you, btw, if you wanted to reply to that section.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:26 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I agree. I think our short running game needs a lot of work on the execution side. It should be a safe play to call a run on 3rd and short but, for this offensive, it's anything but. It may be Hopkins. It may be something else, I'm not sure.

Something is definitely tipping our QB sneaks.  Bynes was all over the one we tried early.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:26 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I agree. I think our short running game needs a lot of work on the execution side. It should be a safe play to call a run on 3rd and short but, for this offensive, it's anything but. It may be Hopkins. It may be something else, I'm not sure.

Can't disagree with your edited response; I just don't know if it's a call or execution (Bynes being tipped, notwithstanding), 9/10 times.

Again, if we converted on that sneak, then we aren't discussing it. It's like 2009; the whole world knew we were running with an extra lineman, but we executed superbly all year (on the whole), even if the opposing Ds knew what we were doing.

It's why execution trumps all :)
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: Something is definitely tipping our QB sneaks.  Bynes was all over the one we tried early.

Good ole Bynes lol

He knows whats up. Saw him hug ole Mixon on the sideline a bit lmao!

Agree with both CJD and Truck, we just need to execute better and I still think Zac is just feeling out the Offense.

You usually don't do a QB sneak on 2nd and 1. That is a 3rd down call that the D cannot stop like they call for Brady.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 11:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: Something is definitely tipping our QB sneaks.  Bynes was all over the one we tried early.

Burrow is hardly ever under center.  There's your tip off.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:35 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Burrow is hardly ever under center.  There's your tip off.

Yep, need less Shotgun and empty sets. More of Burrow under Center.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 10:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: Half time adjustments, in the world that the game plans change dramatically are a myth. That said you do get to have a conversation with all stake holders and we have been told by Latham that Burrow has demanded certain changes during halftime and I think that is really the difference maker. The guy on the field tells the coaches what he see and is thinking and they adjust to what he is comfortable with.

Whatever the circumstances the adjustments are noticeable.  The protections up front were much better as the game wore on and it made a huge difference.
Reply/Quote