Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protesters topple Confederate statue in NC
I found this a good read, about the Confederate monuments and why there are no Nazi statues in Germany.

The author brought up a point of how the statues were in part to re-write the history of the slavery and treason, and replace it with a romanticized version of their 'heros' and honor instead. Which is interesting because I have read, even in the p&r section, how the winners re-write history. But in this case he is suggesting the losers were re-writing history. They certainly lost the war, but they won the post-war for almost 100 years by making sure blacks would never be equals to whites. And it was in the post-war that they won they were writing down their own version of history.

Now I will say in the grand scheme of history, the Nazis were the worst of the worst of white supremacists. In just a few years they went from hateful speech, to segregation, deportation to some extent, and then on to the final solution of eliminating all non-aryans and other people like those with down syndrome. I dont want folks to assume I place Nazis and the South here as equals, as they werent.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/20/why-there-are-no-nazi-statues-in-germany-215510

Quote:In Germany, you won’t see neo-Nazis converging on a monument to Reinhard Heydrich or Adolf Hitler, because no such statues exist. The country long ago came to grips with the full weight of its history. But you’ll find Nazis and Klansmen in Virginia, circling a statue of Robert E. Lee, a traitor who raised arms against his own country in the defense of white supremacy.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-20-2017, 07:48 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I found this a good read, about the Confederate monuments and why there are no Nazi statues in Germany.

The author brought up a point of how the statues were in part to re-write the history of the slavery and treason, and replace it with a romanticized version of their 'heros' and honor instead. Which is interesting because I have read, even in the p&r section, how the winners re-write history. But in this case he is suggesting the losers were re-writing history. They certainly lost the war, but they won the post-war for almost 100 years by making sure blacks would never be equals to whites. And it was in the post-war that they won they were writing down their own version of history,

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/20/why-there-are-no-nazi-statues-in-germany-215510

It's very true. Also, it's not almost 100 years, it's well over that. Still ongoing in some ways.

Sometimes I think that we romanticize our history so much, here, because we don't have a ton of it. We have 410 years on this continent as a European settlement, less than 250 as our own country, compared to much more than that when you look at Europe.