Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protests At Hospitals Near You?
Saint Elizabeth is under a mile from my place and there's a bunch of people on the street to the hospital protesting required vaccination for hospital employees.

Are hospitals near you requiring vaccinations?

Are people protesting it?

How do you feel about it?

I'm torn because there's an uptick in unvaccinated people getting Covid and people in the hospital can't afford to be put at risk.
Reply/Quote
If you interact with immunocompromised individuals on a regular basis then you should have to get the vaccine, full stop. The bar can't really get any lower than that, yet there are still people protesting it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I cannot understand hopsital workers not getting vaccinated.

1.) The amount of people you come into close contact with, many of whom are sick, leaves you, probably more than almost anyone else, more susceptible to catching it.

2.) I would assume most of them have actually seen, or have heard firsthand some horror stories of those who have been hospitilized.

3.) I can't think of any other job where you'd be judged for not getting vaccinated more. Appearances, peer pressure, and social standing might not matter to everyone but I think they certainly matter to a lot of people. By not getting vaccinated, to the point of fighing with your employer, these people are exposing themselves to all sorts of judgement in the workplace.

Fwiw, I've heard people claim that because there are people in healthcare who aren't getting vaccinated that shows the vaccine isn't safe, or people having doubts is more justifed. ("Hey, if the professionals don't trust it why should I?") Except this isn't telling the whole story. If you look at the vaccine rates for people in healthcare it almost follows education levels to a t. Doctors are the highest, followed by high level nurses, then lower level nurses, then by people like admininstrative, custodians, security guards, etc.

I'll never really understand people who are that opposed to the vaccine. I would assume most people have received them in their lives. And for people to believe that are government would put out something unsafe, and that countries all around the world would do the same, is like the meme of crazy dude on Ancient Aliens levels of conspiracy.
Reply/Quote
There are idiots in every profession who can't be ****** to listen to people smarter than them.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 08:46 PM)treee Wrote: If you interact with immunocompromised individuals on a regular basis then you should have to get the vaccine, full stop. The bar can't really get any lower than that, yet there are still people protesting it.
Yeah, especially since the nurses have built-up immune systems, so they could be deep into it and not likely not showing any symptoms.

Then again, I think they're all in protective gear, so not sure how I feel about it.
(08-10-2021, 08:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I cannot understand hopsital workers not getting vaccinated.  

1.) The amount of people you come into close contact with, many of whom are sick, leaves you, probably more than almost anyone else, more susceptible to catching it.

2.) I would assume most of them have actually seen, or have heard firsthand some horror stories of those who have been hospitilized.

3.) I can't think of any other job where you'd be judged for not getting vaccinated more.  Appearances, peer pressure, and social standing might not matter to everyone but I think they certainly matter to a lot of people.  By not getting vaccinated, to the point of fighing with your employer, these people are exposing themselves to all sorts of judgement in the workplace.

Fwiw, I've heard people claim that because there are people in healthcare who aren't getting vaccinated that shows the vaccine isn't safe, or people having doubts is more justifed.  ("Hey, if the professionals don't trust it why should I?")  Except this isn't telling the whole story.  If you look at the vaccine rates for people in healthcare it almost follows education levels to a t.  Doctors are the highest, followed by high level nurses, then lower level nurses, then by people like admininstrative, custodians, security guards, etc.

I'll never really understand people who are that opposed to the vaccine.  I would assume most people have received them in their lives.  And for people to believe that are government would put out something unsafe, and that countries all around the world would do the same, is like the meme of crazy dude on Ancient Aliens levels of conspiracy.
There were protestors in the video I saw holding signs that say "my body, my choice," which, like you said, is ignoring the point, which is that it keeps at-risk people from getting it.  

They can wear all that protective equipment but there's still the risk, especially if it's more than just nurses that are protesting it and some of the people protesting don't have to wear the protective equipment.    
(08-10-2021, 09:02 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: There are idiots in every profession who can't be ****** to listen to people smarter than them.

I don't get it, either.

How the hell else are we going to get out of this pandemic?
Reply/Quote
So there was an article on CNN a day or so ago about the Phizer vaccine proceeding toward full FDA approval, which made me curious, because I was thinking "What have they been giving everyone if not a fully approved vaccine?".  And the answer that all the current vaccines are currently being used under emergency protocols, and NONE of them have been fully approved by the FDA.  And I was like "Huh....I learned something today."

So the article goes on to speculate whether the vaccine being fully approved would change peoples minds about getting, and a full 2/3 of those polled were like me and didn't know.  A smaller percentage who did know said it would make a difference to them.  So the vaccines getting fully approved will have little affect on the unvaccinated, who I suppose are NOT getting vaccinated for other reasons.

Anyway, no ground breaking conclusions to draw.  Just sharing info.

Oh as to local protests.  Most hospitals are privately run.  Private business owners can dictate things like vaccinations as conditions of employment, so the protesters have no leg to stand on.  They're likely going to lose their jobs or suck it up.  My wife works at the VA here in Houston, and though most were vaccinated before, Biden mandating all federal employees need to be vaccinated pretty much locks in everyone at the VA being vaccinated.  Most were/are already according to me wife except for a few with special circumstances.  She has a friend at work who hasn't gotten it for very specific (which I forget) health reasons. 
Reply/Quote
paid actors.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 10:11 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: paid actors.

Paid by who?
Reply/Quote
NO ONE on this thread defending our freedoms. Rant

Can't even count on Bfritz anymore.

One day the CDC says "no need for masks anymore" and the next they
say "masks required." Do they even know what they are doing?

Stop and think, sheeple--

"If the vaccine is really so effective, then why doesn't it sell itself"?

.       Tucker Carlson. Fox News host and patriot.
Reply/Quote
I'm just surprised the right is suddenly Pro-choice XD.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 12:50 PM)Dill Wrote: NO ONE on this thread defending our freedoms. Rant

Can't even count on Bfritz anymore.

One day the CDC says "no need for masks anymore" and the next they
say "masks required." Do they even know what they are doing?

Stop and think, sheeple--

"If the vaccine is really so effective, then why doesn't it sell itself"?

.       Tucker Carlson. Fox News host and patriot.

It's difficult to look at this from a sales and marketing perspective because sales is usually about promoting your alternative.  We are used to stuff like "Coke is for old people, drink Pepsi and be a badass cool kid" or "Cola sucks, drink 7up" or "my political opponent is going to ruin this country, vote for me" or "Genesis does what NintenDon't."  

The vaccine is hard to look at in that manner because it's basically, don't take it because it won't work or it'll harm you.  It'd be like seeing a commercial that says "If you drink Pepsi you will ingest a tracking chip and you might die because of drinking Pepsi and Pepsi won't even make you less thirsty and it takes like crap."  Ok, well what should I drink?  "Oh....um..nothing I guess, I mean we aren't trying to sell an alternative, here."

So shouldn't vaccines sell themselves?  Yes, you'd think so but tell that to the ultra-libs who think they can fight smallpox and polio with tofu and healing crystals.

On topic, people can protest because the sky is blue for all I care, but lordy you think people would just get new jobs if their current ones are out to control and/or kill them.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 08:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I cannot understand hopsital workers not getting vaccinated.  

3.) I can't think of any other job where you'd be judged for not getting vaccinated more.  Appearances, peer pressure, and social standing might not matter to everyone but I think they certainly matter to a lot of people.  By not getting vaccinated, to the point of fighing with your employer, these people are exposing themselves to all sorts of judgement in the workplace.

Fwiw, I've heard people claim that because there are people in healthcare who aren't getting vaccinated that shows the vaccine isn't safe, or people having doubts is more justifed.  ("Hey, if the professionals don't trust it why should I?")  Except this isn't telling the whole story.  If you look at the vaccine rates for people in healthcare it almost follows education levels to a t.  Doctors are the highest, followed by high level nurses, then lower level nurses, then by people like admininstrative, custodians, security guards, etc.

I'll never really understand people who are that opposed to the vaccine.  I would assume most people have received them in their lives.  And for people to believe that are government would put out something unsafe, and that countries all around the world would do the same, is like the meme of crazy dude on Ancient Aliens levels of conspiracy.

My sister is a nurse at the hospital in Great Falls, MT. She doesn't know anyone personally on the staff who isn't vaccinated, but there are many who are not, even in the geriatric section where patients are most at risk. Some had protest signs out on 10th Ave South, 15 or so people. The administration wanted to require vaccinations for employment, but the state won't allow it, at present. 

As to the bolded--remember what Stewy said in the previous post. ALL the healthcare workers know the vaccines have not gone through the full approval process. Some think (says my sister) that the vaccine is not safe enough.  Also, it seems to be mostly nurses, not doctors. Monday evening, at a baseball game, I sat next to a physical therapist who also works at the hospital. He won't get the vaccine because he says it has not been sufficiently researched.

Personally, I don't think they are evaluating the choice very well, balancing the consequences of not taking it vs consequences of not taking it--for others as well as themselves.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 01:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So shouldn't vaccines sell themselves?  Yes, you'd think so but tell that to the ultra-libs who think they can fight smallpox and polio with tofu and healing crystals.

How many tofu eaters do you know who have gotten small pox?

'nuff said!  Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 01:20 PM)Dill Wrote: How many tofu eaters do you know who have gotten small pox?

'nuff said!  Wink

I eat tofu and I still have a burning case of Disco Fever.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 11:30 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Paid by who?

WHERE ARE THE EMAILS!
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 05:19 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: WHERE ARE THE EMAILS!

On Hunter's laptop?

Maybe an immigrant with covid got them?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 01:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I eat tofu and I still have a burning case of Disco Fever.

Yes well, even eating that way, it is clear you're Staying Alive, ive ive ive ive
Reply/Quote