Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Proud of this team
OP's take is well received. Naturally, I want a Super Bowl appearance and win but I'm also proud of this team. the Zac/Burrow era is hopefully a fun team to watch for years to come.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 01:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just wanted to say, I'm proud of this team.

We started off 0-2 as you well know and looked pretty damn bad. Since then we're 11-2 including reeling off 7 in a row including 4 road wins. We're in a great position to challenge for the #1 or 2 seed and of course already a lock for the playoffs. It hasn't always been pretty, it hasn't always been flawless. But we've found ways to win. And if you look around it's pretty much that way with everybody.

If you would have told me after the Cleveland game we'd be here I would have said uh huh, with a large dose of sarcasm. But they've ironed out most of their problems (looking at you Oline) won through injured top players missing games, overcame bad plays, turnovers, mishaps, and gotten it done. The mark of winners.

No matter how this season ends I take my hat off to you guys and apologize for doubting early on. Big thanks to everybody from F.O. to the waterboy for a job well done. There's no doubt we're one of the top teams in the NFL.

Who Dey  Tiger  Who Dey

No doubt, and very well said. I will add a couple things beyond the play on the field that also makes me very proud of this team:

Unity.  Did you see the fight break out on the Broncos sideline? Have you seen a team completely give up on it's starting QB (wearing Mike F'n White T-shirts?).  Every team loses guys to injury and every team will say the old "next man up", but look at how the team responds to Trenton Irwin getting his first TD pass and game ball.  Look how excited the team is when CTB makes a play.  I have no doubts they will be supporting Adeniji (if it ends up being him) at RT. 

Class.  I know.  Pretty odd thing to mention about a football team, but look at how many guys do things for their communities.  You also haven't heard of any Bengals getting DUIs at 2AM the night before a game.  Nor have any of them been in fights at local bars or strip clubs.  They play rough on the field, but you would never see a late hit on a pile trying to injure someone.  Nor would you see a cheap shot that could injure a guy away from a play.  There is a professionalism with this team.  A standard.  

Unselfishness.  Logan Wilson said that was the one unique characteristic of a championship club.  Guys have to just do their job 100% all the time and be ready at any time.  You don't hear guys saying they aren't getting enough targets, carries, etc.  That might not seem significant until you realize their next contracts will be largely based on their numbers, not wins.  I know Pratt made a tweet recently about wanting to be in on more third downs, and it is about his next contract.  Do I think it will escalate and become a problem?  No.  Because there is a standard of Unselfishness.  

Coachability.  As a coach of nearly 30 years experience (sure, it was youth amateur level), I can tell you that if an individual simply takes to coaching, and applies the effort requested and really works at their craft, they will almost always be successful.  Being the biggest and the strongest rarely factors in.  If they believe they are above accepting feedback and sometimes criticism, they will not be as successful as they could be if they responded to coaching.   If you all remember, there were a lot of people down on Lou Anarumo early on.  Players, too.  Many were vocal in their disagreements.  Many of us sided with the players.  They had, after all, shown ability on the field and who is this guy?  Well, those players are gone.  The ones that are coachable have taken the defense to the next level.  There are no real stars on this defense, aside from maybe Reader, but they are a top 10 defense in the league.  Why?  Their coach has a plan each week and his guys have bought in to the plan and they execute it.  

Leadership.  The article I just posted on Captain "Uncle" Michael Thomas.  So many former captains drafted.  The captains on the Bengals:  Burrow, Mixon, Karras, Reader, Bell, Hubbard, and the aforementioned Thomas.  Aside from Burrow, almost none of them get National attention for their play on the field.  Hubbard doesn't get double-digit sacks, but he is one of the best run-defensing DEs in the league and hardly ever came off the field.  Bell became a captain after Bates was removed as a captain.  That could have been a huge issue.  It wasn't, because every person on that team knows Bell is the first one in the building every day.  He is the epitome of a team player.  Reader.  Not a sack artist, and almost no National attention, but the heart and soul of the defense.  All effort, all the time, always doing the dirty work so someone else can make the play.  Mixon didn't piss and moan when everyone was falling in love with Perine.  He didn't go public and say he wanted to be traded to a team that appreciated him.  He got over his injury and had the biggest game of his career. I don't have that many stories about Karras (other than how he left the field in Nashville) but it is clear the team loves his energy and enthusiasm.  It's infectious.  And, of course, Joe F'n Burrow.  The man that has an organ rupture, need IV antibiotics for weeks, loses 20 lbs, etc.  The guy starts the year in awful fashion (but hey, as a team, they were all awful!  Unity!  Ninja ).  He wasn't good week 2, either.  Did he start calling out his line?  Did he start to piss and moan about how his team was costing him money in his next contract.  Nope, he stayed the coarse and went on to go 11-2 since that start, including the current seven straight wins.  Leadership is everywhere on this team.   

All those things might get dismissed as "they wouldn't mean crap if the team was losing".  Maybe so.  However, I think it is one reason they find ways to win and will continue to fight week in and week out until they win it all.  
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 10:11 AM)M.W. Wrote: I will add another element that really should not happen.
The play before that was 2nd and 2,  you are up by 22 in the mid 3rd quarter.  Why the heck not run the ball (and the clock)?  Had they done that, even if they didn't get it a QB sneak on 3rd would, assuming they simply run between the tackles. would pick it up.. Had they simply played smart football it would have saved many of us a couple grey hairs and those mistakes will costs us the game against playoff caliber teams. 

Getting too pass happy led to the meltdown, logically it made no sense.

That being said, I am still very proud of the franchise.
I believe we throw 16 passes in 2nd half, that does not reflect pass happy
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 01:46 PM)M.W. Wrote: This could be the best Bengals team I have ever watched live.  I have been a fan since 1993.  They find ways to win rather than ways to lose.

Ultimately the playoffs will determine that, but I agree that to this point, it's probably been the best I can recall.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 03:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: There are so many ingredients to turn around such a lousy franchise. Duke Tobin has been around a long time. He’s very experienced. He’s been here awhile. So what happened? The roster sucked when Zac took over.  But Taylor had a vision and a plan. Duke has really bought in. Zac and Duke together are knocking it out of the park in the draft and FA. Taylor changed the culture with guys that work and team leaders. Tyler Boyd this week raved about it. D J Reader raved about how hard this team works. That just doesn’t happen by osmosis.

But I always here that Joe is carrying Zac. Okay well I saw a stat last night that Belicheck’s all time record is like 75-85 w/o Tom Brady. The team has not reached its peak. The first half yesterday showed its capability and last weeks second half. The Bills and the Chiefs have weak areas ( Philly I’m not so sure). Health will be a factor. If we can get healthy this team can run the table.

A lot of truth to the fact that some of the all-time great coaches had great QBs.
Reply/Quote
Zac needs to get on the loud speaker and announce, "THANK GOD YOU STILL DON'T LIVE IN CLEVELAND!"   Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:55 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: OP's take is well received. Naturally, I want a Super Bowl appearance and win but I'm also proud of this team. the Zac/Burrow era is hopefully a fun team to watch for years to come.

For sure we want the grand prize. And I think we'll get it sooner or later. 

It's hard to sum up in just a few words. So I'll just use the old cliche, this team just has "IT". 
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 01:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just wanted to say, I'm proud of this team.

We started off 0-2 as you well know and looked pretty damn bad. Since then we're 11-2 including reeling off 7 in a row including 4 road wins. We're in a great position to challenge for the #1 or 2 seed and of course already a lock for the playoffs. It hasn't always been pretty, it hasn't always been flawless. But we've found ways to win. And if you look around it's pretty much that way with everybody.

If you would have told me after the Cleveland game we'd be here I would have said uh huh, with a large dose of sarcasm. But they've ironed out most of their problems (looking at you Oline) won through injured top players missing games, overcame bad plays, turnovers, mishaps, and gotten it done. The mark of winners.

No matter how this season ends I take my hat off to you guys and apologize for doubting early on. Big thanks to everybody from F.O. to the waterboy for a job well done. There's no doubt we're one of the top teams in the NFL.

Who Dey  Tiger  Who Dey

Nice thread brother. Couldn't agree more. Proud to be a Bengals fan more than ever right now. Go out of my way to say that I am a
Bengals fan now more than ever. Just a complete team that fights for each other and it is a family from the FO down to the coaches,
to the players, to the coaches, to everyone who helps the team, to the fans. Been a fun ride that I hope doesn't end anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 11:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread brother. Couldn't agree more. Proud to be a Bengals fan more than ever right now. Go out of my way to say that I am a
Bengals fan now more than ever. Just a complete team that fights for each other and it is a family from the FO down to the coaches,
to the players, to the coaches, to everyone who helps the team, to the fans. Been a fun ride that I hope doesn't end anytime soon.

I can remember being a fan back in the 90's early 00's being out somewhere with a Bengals T-shirt on. You notice somebody giving you that look. I'd look back and say "yes go ahead and laugh it up". 

I don't say that anymore  Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 02:44 PM)TheCincinnatiKi. Wrote: Let's be real, the 2nd half yesterday was an absolute meltdown. Our MVP-calibre QB threw a terrible pick which led the a clusterf**k of errors and bad luck. Very typical of the Bengals over time.

I hate to play the "take away certain plays" game but... take away their fluke TD and add the barely missed TD to Irwin and the game isn't even close.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 12:54 AM)Tomkat Wrote: I hate to play the "take away certain plays" game but... take away their fluke TD and add the barely missed TD to Irwin and the game isn't even close.

Or the correct call on Jones' fumble. 

But we left a lot of points on the table. Holding penalty on Asiasi turned a TD into a FG. The Burrow pick on the Boyd play cost us at least 3. That's 7. McPherson missed 2 PAT's and a FG. That's 12. Burrow missed Irwin wide open for a TD. 19. 

2nd half. We failed on a QB sneak 3rd & 1 for a punt. Had a penalty take away a 1st down & threw a pick6 the next play. Chase's 3rd down fumble on a nice play by Judon. 

Not often you leave 19 9n the board + a pick six + a fumble and still win in this league. .
Reply/Quote