Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punching Bags and their Replacements
Last year, there were several "punching bags" on the team that either had injuries, poor play, bad attitudes, etc. They rightfully became our "punching bags".

Here are some highlights followed by their heir apparent:

AJ Green: Rated with one of the worst separation scores, according to PFF, and had 104 targets with 43 receptions. Replaced by #5 overall pick, Ja'Marr Chase.

Bobby Hart: Actually wasn't the biggest issue on the offensive line, but had his share of highlight whiffs or missed assignments. Replaced by Riley Reiff.

Revolving door at RG after XSF went down injured (Johnson, Redmond). They looked awful early, and then Redmond had a few solid outings but there always seemed to be the stupid penalty. They tried to get by with UDFA and it simply didn't work. Replaced by Jackson Carman.

Fat Randy. That time of the month caused cramps in both (!) calves at the same time (!) and cost the Bengals a week 1 win. Replaced by 5th round pick, Evan McPherson

Mike Jordan.
Not entirely his fault, but was pressed in to duty as a rookie and developed some bad habits. Struggled mightily under the coaching (or lack therof) of Turner. Replaced by XSF/Spain competition winner.

Geno Atkins. I would say most were more respectful than using Geno as a "punching bag", but his injury clearly affected him and although he was trying to gut it out, he was a major non-factor for being one of the highest payroll players. Replaced by Larry Ogenjobi

[b]Carlos Dunlap
. A lot of folks here still defended him as he had a lot more skins on the wall than Anarumo, but he became a malcontent that was horribly ineffective. Replaced by Trey Hendrickson

LeShawn Sims[/b] Admittedly not expected to start, but a symptom of a drastic drop off in talent in the CB room when Phillips or WJIII were injured. Replaced by a lot of better options.

Factor in healthy versions of Reader, Hubbard, and Waynes and this roster has been massively upgraded from punching bags to real talent. I honestly believe that had Burrow not gone down, the Bengals would have won at least 6 games. Factor in the above (massive) upgrades at key positions and I think it is not out of the realm of possibilities to think playoffs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lou is probably the biggest punching bag on this board, and maybe he deserves to be, but the guys on NFL Sirius radio were talking about his situation one day and their general consensus was that after all the injuries on defense last year, they didn't believe any DC in the league could have been successful. They were saying the drop off between 1st and 2nd string should not be that much, but that anytime you go deeper into the depth chart than that at any position, it's a disaster, and we did that at several positions... getting as deep as 5th and 6th string.
Reply/Quote
Zac mentioned it in his presser, there were times last year that we were signing guys off the street to start during the week. When your depth is that bad it’s gonna be hard for any coach to get a unit to be competent.

I still think Lou is a below average coordinator but hopefully he proves us all wrong.
Reply/Quote
Zac must still believe in Lou because His head coaching job is forsure on a leash thats getting shorter...
That being said Zac hasnt thrown any of his staff under the bus an chosen a fall guy for the lack of success over the last 2 seasons..
Players and coaches see that and respect it..
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 12:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They were saying the drop off between 1st and 2nd string should not be that much, but that anytime you go deeper into the depth chart than that at any position, it's a disaster, and we did that at several positions... getting as deep as 5th and 6th string.

I would not say "several positions" but I agree with the overall point you are making.  Good teams have decent back ups, but even they struggle when they have to start guys at the margins of the roster.  LeShaun Simms is a perfect example.  He started 10 games for us. It hurt to lose Waynes before the season even started, but we still would have had decent talent at CB if we had not lost Alexander for 3 games, Jackson for 2, and Phillips for 4.

Same at DT.  Geno is one of my all-time favorite Bengals, but when he tried to come back and play injured last year he was useless.  Billings was no big star, but he was good enough to get $4million a year from the Brows in free agency.  When we lost Reader we had scraps at DT.  If Reader and Ogunjobi can stay healthy this year we will go from some of the worst to one of the best duos in the league.  It will be by far our most improved position.  And even though DTs usually don't put up big sack numbers it is very hard for edge rushers to get sacks when the QB can just step up into the pocket.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 12:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Lou is probably the biggest punching bag on this board, and maybe he deserves to be, but the guys on NFL Sirius radio were talking about his situation one day and their general consensus was that after all the injuries on defense last year, they didn't believe any DC in the league could have been successful. They were saying the drop off between 1st and 2nd string should not be that much, but that anytime you go deeper into the depth chart than that at any position, it's a disaster, and we did that at several positions... getting as deep as 5th and 6th string.

Luckily for Capt Lou Albano he works for the least demanding bosses in any industry.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:08 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Luckily for Capt Lou Albano he works for the least demanding bosses in any industry.

Not so much with coordinators.

Just ask Teryl Austin and Ken Zampese.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would not say "several positions" but I agree with the overall point you are making.  Good teams have decent back ups, but even they struggle when they have to start guys at the margins of the roster.  LeShaun Simms is a perfect example.  He started 10 games for us. It hurt to lose Waynes before the season even started, but we still would have had decent talent at CB if we had not lost Alexander for 3 games, Jackson for 2, and Phillips for 4.

Same at DT.  Geno is one of my all-time favorite Bengals, but when he tried to come back and play injured last year he was useless.  Billings was no big star, but he was good enough to get $4million a year from the Brows in free agency.  When we lost Reader we had scraps at DT.  If Reader and Ogunjobi can stay healthy this year we will go from some of the worst to one of the best duos in the league.  It will be by far our most improved position.  And even though DTs usually don't put up big sack numbers it is very hard for edge rushers to get sacks when the QB can just step up into the pocket.

I could of swore i read a post in another thread earlier this morning which you claimed or defensive line is in huge trouble and that we did not upgrade it or acknowledge its weakness..??
I dunno i could be wrong but......im not to sure i am..
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:14 PM)Spider Wrote: I could of swore i read a post in another thread earlier this morning which you claimed or defensive line is in huge trouble and that we did not upgrade it or acknowledge its weakness..??
I dunno i could be wrong but......im not to sure i am..

I pointed out that we finished last in sacks last year and had to address that.

Nothing I said here is any different from that.
Reply/Quote
Amazing how Dunlap balled out as soon as he got away from Lou.

I have zero faith in that guy at this point.

We did upgrade a lot of spots though. Not too sure how great the o-line will be.

On paper it looks like the ceiling is "serviceable"...so long as Jonah stays healthy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Damned!  If they had just kept Whatsisface! You know..the guy nobody remembers? He wore number something or another..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: Damned!  If they had just kept Whatsisface! You know..the guy nobody remembers? He wore number something or another..

You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

That guy SUCKED!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I pointed out that we finished last in sacks last year and had to address that.

Nothing I said here is any different from that.

I went back and read your post..
Your right and a kind apology is Due..

MOre importantly even with Serviceable players in certain spots on this roster
Theres a positive atmosphere Burrow is creating in Cincy and that is infectious where a Mediocre talent can feed off that swagger Joe has and make plays when they need too..
This team has potential again.. Im Excite for the next 5 years
Reply/Quote
Good thread, Racer. We definitely upgraded a lot of the biggest problem areas. And one you didn’t even mention was not a punching bag, but a SCUM BAG. And that’s replacing Jim Turner (terrible human being & terrible OL coach) with a well respected guy like Pollack who at times has been a top 5 OL coach in the league. Between Carman at RG, teams having to respect Chase, and Pollack becoming the run game coordinator...I expect big things from Mixon this season (if he can stay healthy).

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 12:29 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Bobby Hart:  Actually wasn't the biggest issue on the offensive line, but had his share of highlight whiffs or missed assignments.  Replaced by Riley Reiff.

Last off season I defended Hart a lot because he actually played pretty well in 2019.

His sack numbers did not look bad in 2020 either, but someone posted his hurries/pressures from last year and they were ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Amazing how Dunlap balled out as soon as he got away from Lou.

I have zero faith in that guy at this point.

We did upgrade a lot of spots though. Not too sure how great the o-line will be.

On paper it looks like the ceiling is "serviceable"...so long as Jonah stays healthy.

That's an indictment of Dunlap. Nobody ever doubted he could "ball out" when he wants to. He'd be invisible at times times then turn it on when he felt motivated. Nobody questioned that he'd be motivated after forcing his way out of Cincy. Those are the type of guys we're trying to weed out though. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:44 PM)Mobster Wrote: That's an indictment of Dunlap. Nobody ever doubted he could "ball out" when he wants to. He'd be invisible at times times then turn it on when he felt motivated. Nobody questioned that he'd be motivated after forcing his way out of Cincy. Those are the type of guys we're trying to weed out though. 

Los was fine for 9 years under Marv. When a player suddenly loses it like that, I tend to look to the coaches.

I don't think this would've happened under Marv.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:44 PM)Mobster Wrote: That's an indictment of Dunlap. Nobody ever doubted he could "ball out" when he wants to. He'd be invisible at times times then turn it on when he felt motivated. Nobody questioned that he'd be motivated after forcing his way out of Cincy. Those are the type of guys we're trying to weed out though. 

He Loved Marvin though..
Marvin did have a way with HIS players..
Chad at times was a trouble and hard to handle but Marvin kept him in check for the most part
Marvin almost was a father figure to players that needed that approach..
Kinda miss the Lew alil bit
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:52 PM)Spider Wrote: He Loved Marvin though..
Marvin did have a way with HIS players..
Chad at times was a trouble and hard to handle but Marvin kept him in check for the most part
Marvin almost was a father figure to players that needed that approach..
Kinda miss the Lew alil bit

Yeah, but now we're actually bringing in actual mature men,  and getting rid of these grown toddlers like Dunlap who need a "baby sitter" like Marvin Lewis. I say good riddance.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Los was fine for 9 years under Marv. When a player suddenly loses it like that, I tend to look to the coaches.

I don't think this would've happened under Marv.

He wasn't fine. He needed babysitter like Marvin to stay on him constantly. He's a toddler.
Reply/Quote