Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punching Bags and their Replacements
(05-03-2021, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good points all, but I believe they will start Carman at RG and have XSF and Spain compete for the LG position.  

Not going to lie, I like the idea of a rookie guard next to a veteran like Reiff. 

Some have speculated that RT might become Carman's long-term position. This might be a dumb question, but from a footwork perspective, does him playing RG instead LG make any eventual transition easier? 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 06:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We're just making up stuff now? I'm curious as to what you based this upon. He had at least 1 QB hit in 7 of his 8 games, multple in 5 of 8, and sacks in 4 of 8.

He had 2 tackles, 1 QB Hit, and 2 Pdef in the playoff game.

In 8 games with Seattle he had 5.0 sacks, 6 TFL, and 14 QB Hits. That is a Pro Bowl pace for a DE.

[Image: xHEaAqs.png]

Ok, to revisit, I said "Dunlap showed up big for a couple games and then disappeared again".  

Dunlap's first game with Seattle, he had 6 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 3 QB hits, and 3 TFLs.  They lost to Buffalo, giving up 44 points.  

His second game against the LAR, he made the stat sheet with a QB hit.  Nothing else.  One QB hit.  

His third game against the Cardinals, he had 4 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 TFLs, and 3 QB hits.  

In the remaining SIX GAMES, here are his COMBINED stats:  4 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 TFL, and 7 QB hits.  So, like I said before, those remaining six games he averaged less than a tackle per game and just over 1 QB hit per game.  In other words, compared to the first couple games, he disappeared.  

I don't make stuff up, and that is the information from which  I based that statement.  Good enough?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 12:43 AM)Benton Wrote: Just curious where that data came from. Everything I'd seen had Burrow as 2.25 - 2.5. Not to mention, I didn't think Roesthlisberger was the worst protected QB.

The fact that it excludes sacks might be skewing the numbers somewhat.  
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 09:45 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Zac & Lou.  What a great sounding comedic duo name.

The Bengals will not be competitive until these two are gone.

You looking forward to another season of Zac calling out the offensive plays... play after play? yeah? Did you enjoy Marvin's last year calling out the defensive plays... play after play? yeah?

The reality is the HC needs to be assessing both sides of the team (in real time during the game) while his subordinates the OC and DC do what the HC has been planning for the entire week (gameplan). Zac is no coaching genius and his agonizing attempt to play call the offense is just hideous to watch with hideous results.  Zac should let the OC do the play calling and change or steer it to whatever direction he sees fit to improve the game during the game (this causes Zac to call plays of what he wants to do, not what he should do). Even with the best talent in the team, if the coaching is not there, the players will get frustrated and the winning collapses. Ask the browns when Kitchens has coaching there for a season with all the talent in their team.

While I don't see ZT as a Belichek, it is pretty harsh to refer to him as a Kitchens.  To be fair, he inherited a turd and has tried to improve the roster.  I am hoping the big change in focus is a greater emphasis on the running game.  They need to have more balance.  The defense?  I won't judge them as harshly other than to say their drop off in talent when they lost injured front line starters was dramatic.  
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 09:56 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Not going to lie, I like the idea of a rookie guard next to a veteran like Reiff. 

Some have speculated that RT might become Carman's long-term position. This might be a dumb question, but from a footwork perspective, does him playing RG instead LG make any eventual transition easier? 

Not really sure how to answer that other than to say other than say Carman has fairly short arms and that is one reason they felt like he might be better suited at G vs Tackle.  That being said, the guy held up pretty damn well protecting Lawrences blind side for two plus years at Clemson.  He wasn't "helped" and he put up really good numbers until the back injury took its toll as he tried to play through it.

He has tackle experience , and a lot of it.  I think he will be our RG for many years to come and could slide over to RT if an injury created the need.  That is why I was hoping they would draft Spencer Brown instead of Ossai to be the developmental RT that could take over next year.  
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 10:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not really sure how to answer that other than to say other than say Carman has fairly short arms and that is one reason they felt like he might be better suited at G vs Tackle.  That being said, the guy held up pretty damn well protecting Lawrences blind side for two plus years at Clemson.  He wasn't "helped" and he put up really good numbers until the back injury took its toll as he tried to play through it.

He has tackle experience , and a lot of it.  I think he will be our RG for many years to come and could slide over to RT if an injury created the need.  That is why I was hoping they would draft Spencer Brown instead of Ossai to be the developmental RT that could take over next year.  

My ideal scenario is Reiff plays well enough to earn another year, and by 2 seasons from now, D’Ante Smith has put on enough weight to play at the next level (he’s already got the size and arm length to play OT). Two years in a NFL weight room and training program that should be achievable.

Carman I hope is at OG long term.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would not say "several positions" but I agree with the overall point you are making.  Good teams have decent back ups, but even they struggle when they have to start guys at the margins of the roster.  LeShaun Simms is a perfect example.  He started 10 games for us. It hurt to lose Waynes before the season even started, but we still would have had decent talent at CB if we had not lost Alexander for 3 games, Jackson for 2, and Phillips for 4.

Same at DT.  Geno is one of my all-time favorite Bengals, but when he tried to come back and play injured last year he was useless.  Billings was no big star, but he was good enough to get $4million a year from the Brows in free agency.  When we lost Reader we had scraps at DT.  If Reader and Ogunjobi can stay healthy this year we will go from some of the worst to one of the best duos in the league.  It will be by far our most improved position.  And even though DTs usually don't put up big sack numbers it is very hard for edge rushers to get sacks when the QB can just step up into the pocket.
I hope that Geno is healthy and comes back and is good enough to make the team.

Might be a pipedream. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 10:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not really sure how to answer that other than to say other than say Carman has fairly short arms and that is one reason they felt like he might be better suited at G vs Tackle.  That being said, the guy held up pretty damn well protecting Lawrences blind side for two plus years at Clemson.  He wasn't "helped" and he put up really good numbers until the back injury took its toll as he tried to play through it.

From what I recall hearing/reading since Carman was drafted:
- His originally measured arm length (32.5") was incorrect, instead actually being 33.25"
- His physical, mauling nature and size should translate well to OG
- His lack of technique and footwork are why he may not succeed at OT right away

Given the above, he should be able to work at OG while he develops his technique and footwork before potentially moving outside.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 10:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: My ideal scenario is Reiff plays well enough to earn another year, and by 2 seasons from now, D’Ante Smith has put on enough weight to play at the next level (he’s already got the size and arm length to play OT). Two years in a NFL weight room and training program that should be achievable.

Carman I hope is at OG long term.

Maybe that is how the Bengals see it.  I know Smith tests very well and has insane length, but Spencer Brown was my man-crush of this draft.  When he was there in Rd 3, I had visions of him bookending with Jonah for a decade.  He isn't one that you move to guard because of his height, but damn,  that kid will be an amazing RT.  I think he will go on to have a better career than Sewell.  

Oh, well....I kind of like the Bills, too....but not even in the same stratosphere as the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: From what I recall hearing/reading since Carman was drafted:
- His originally measured arm length (32.5") was incorrect, instead actually being 33.25"
- His physical, mauling nature and size should translate well to OG
- His lack of technique and footwork are why he may not succeed at OT right away

Given the above, he should be able to work at OG while he develops his technique and footwork before potentially moving outside.

I just like the idea of his big, mauling ass at RG.  I think RT will still be up in the air heading in to next year.  
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 11:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I just like the idea of his big, mauling ass at RG.  I think RT will still be up in the air heading in to next year.  

It could be.
Luckily, there have been quite a few rookie OTs to come in and be effective immediately, so I think a rookie could be drafted in Rd 1 or 2 next year to play RT if Carman isn't ready or able to take that spot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote