Erickson
Ross
Wilson
Phillips
Gio
Other on team
FA
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punt Return Game
(08-05-2020, 11:57 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Returning punts in preseason for TDs is makes for a feel good story to discuss that night 
But the truth is most of those guys are out of the league now that were on coverage teams 

Erickson has yet to take a kick all the way back for a TD when it really matters 
I mean really how chances are you going to give Erickson. ?

Erickson has decent speed. But he has no 2nd gear. And he tends to run out of bounds instead 
Of trying to maybe plant redirect and explode 

There's a reason why his average is average 
Cause he's average. 

He is durable he does not get injured doing it so an average guy that does not get hurt works for me. Rather have Phillips playing CB since we only have 4 solids guys now there.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 10:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Wilson has never returned a punt. Being good at one doesn't mean you'll be good at the other. Cordarelle Patterson is probably the best KR in the game and doesn't do punts.

Ironically one of the better at both PR and KR is Pharoh Cooper. 

I agree that there is a big difference between returning KO and punts, but I thought for sure Wilson had been a punt return guy in college.  Checked and you are correct.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 11:57 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Returning punts in preseason for TDs is makes for a feel good story to discuss that night 
But the truth is most of those guys are out of the league now that were on coverage teams 

Erickson has yet to take a kick all the way back for a TD when it really matters 
I mean really how chances are you going to give Erickson. ?

Erickson has decent speed. But he has no 2nd gear. And he tends to run out of bounds instead 
Of trying to maybe plant redirect and explode 

There's a reason why his average is average 
Cause he's average. 

(08-06-2020, 09:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Still better than guys on college cover teams.

Fred basically nailed it.

When has Phillips ever taken it to the house in the NFL? once in the PS as well.

So Erickson has done it double the amount of times, in the same situation.

If you can argue for your stance, you have to acknowledge the argument against and, you still haven't come to the table with anything to beef up Phillips.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Erickson is the guy, until someone proves they are better. When that happens, great. Simple as that....
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 12:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Erickson is the guy, until someone proves they are better. When that happens, great. Simple as that....

How does someone "prove" they're better without being given the chance to actually prove it?

Basically, what you just said is "Erickson is the guy until he's not the guy".
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 12:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How does someone "prove" they're better without being given the chance to actually prove it?

Basically, what you just said is "Erickson is the guy until he's not the guy".

Simple really, you prove to the coaches in camp or at practice that you deserve a shot, and when you get that shot, you make the most of it and perform well enough to unseat the incumbent. I am not someone who is tied to any one player, whoever performs the best is who should get to play. But I'm also not for change just for change sake. Yes, Erickson is the guy, until someone better comes along and shows he's the guy.... I thought that was a given.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 09:32 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If Phillips isn’t starting, try Phillips. If he cracks the starting lineup, use Wilson.

This is the way I feel, I really think if Phillips doesn't get a starting spot at CB he could be a great Punt Returner for us.

Just kind of scared of Phillips getting injured as he is our first backup at Corner and could even take Waynes spot or even WJ3's
if they cannot cover or get interceptions. Phillips is a ballhawk man and a playmaker. WJ3 needs to play Man is all I can say.
Reply/Quote
Erickson has your primary returner and Phillips when you need a big play or in a big game.

I remember one time when John Madden was talking about how Darrell Green would return Kicks when it was a playoff game. Same with Marshall Faulk!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 09:14 PM)J24 Wrote: Erickson has your primary returner and Phillips when you need a big play or in a big game.

I remember one time when John Madden was talking about how Darrell Green would return Kicks when it was a playoff game. Same with Marshall Faulk!

When do you not need a big play?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote