Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punt Returner for 2021
Curious to hear who some of you guys think will be the punt returner this year.

Looking at the roster no one really jumps out at me other than Brandon Wilson, who obviously is a great kick returner (I have no idea how he would do with punts).

I also don't know enough about guys like Darius Phillips, Eli Apple, Michael Thomas, or Stanley Wilson to know if they have experience or if they'd be good choices.

Anyone got any guesses? Do you think it will end up being someone who is not on the roster yet? Could it be someone cool I haven't even heard of?

PS I'm not sure I'll ever get over not giving Gio Bernard an opportunity to return punts his last few years here. He was criminally underused by both Marvin and Zac, and he was such a unqiue talent. Not to mention he was a great PR guy in college. I just thought it made way too much sense to try to find him more ways to get the ball in his hands, and the PR duties seems like it may have been a nice way to do that.
Reply/Quote
I would give Brandon Wilson a chance as well as Phillips.

Not to bring the draft up around you Wes... but I really like Powell from Clemson on day 3 for exactly this reason, he played special teams.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I really like Marquez Stevenson in the draft but he's projected in the 4th and I'll be curious if he sneaks into the 3rd. But depending how the draft starts that may not be an option. I guess phillips if were just going with who is on the roster. I hate using a starter as a returner because of the risk of injury or we go waddle in 1.
Reply/Quote
Phillips is the 4th CB currently so he would fit the bill, he had 30 punt returns in college but was more a kick returner. I am assuming a guy drafted on day 3 will also have return capability.
Reply/Quote
There is a high risk of injury playing special teams, but I think it is mainly the blockers and gunners who collide at full speed. I don't think many return men actually get injured, at least not any more often than playing offense or defense.

But I don't have any numbers to back this up.
Reply/Quote
It'll be interesting to see who ultimately ends up winning the job after having Erickson for so long. I think they should draft Avery Williams, CB, Boise State. But with all the needs they have that certainly looks like a luxury pick at this point.
Reply/Quote
I remember seeing that Germaine Pratt had a punt return TD in college. I assumed he had been smaller earlier in his career and maybe started out as a safety. But when I tried to find his complete return stats from college it turns out that his td happened when he returned a blocked punt for a TD.

Quick Trivia question. What Hall-of-Fame MLB played some WR and returned punts and kicks in college? This is not some old time guy. He just retired in the last decade.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 07:03 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I would give Brandon Wilson a chance as well as Phillips.

Not to bring the draft up around you Wes... but I really like Powell from Clemson on day 3 for exactly this reason, he played special teams.

I second this.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Looking through college stats Tyler Boyd is just a damn football player.

In college he not only had 254 receptions but he also ran the ball 63 times, returned 46 KO and 26 punts, and threw the ball 4 times
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 08:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Looking through college stats Tyler Boyd is just a damn football player.

In college he not only had 254 receptions but he also ran the ball 63 times, returned 46 KO and 26 punts, and threw the ball 4 times

I forgot all about Boyd and his return skills. Too much to risk getting hurt I suppose. 
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote