Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punt returner
(12-13-2021, 12:21 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: So underappreciated by some in his time here because he wasn't a flashy 'home run hitter.'  

I defended Erickson over and over, but he wore stripes so many here did not like him. Tiger
Reply/Quote
Boyd is a elite talent he would be a number 1 on 25 percent of the league a number 2 on 90 percent of the league. Tee and Chase are both arguably top 15 receivers right now. being top 50 its hard to get volume here.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:29 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Boyd is a elite talent he would be a number 1 on 25 percent of the league a number 2 on 90 percent of the league. Tee and Chase are both arguably top 15 receivers right now. being top 50 its hard to get volume here.

One of the constants on this board is there will always be posters wanting to get rid of our best players.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:29 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Boyd is a elite talent he would be a number 1 on 25 percent of the league a number 2 on 90 percent of the league. Tee and Chase are both arguably top 15 receivers right now. being top 50 its hard to get volume here.

Boyd is not a true #1 on any team that’s actually good.

EDIT: Well, maybe the Patriots…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Boyd is not a true #1 on any team that’s actually good.

EDIT: Well, maybe the Patriots…

Maybe being a bit of a homer I'd take Boyd of over Deebo of the 49ers. 
Reply/Quote
Will Darius Phillips even be on the team next weekend is a legitimate question at this point?

Trae Waynes should be coming off IR this week which means someone will have to be waived. If he loses his returning jobs to Evans and Irwin and Waynes returning pushes him down the CB depth chart, is he the most dispensible player currently on the roster? It would be doubtful that he would be signed elsewhere so he could be signed to the PS for the rest of the season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:41 PM)pally Wrote: Will Darius Phillips even be on the team next weekend is a legitimate question at this point?

Trae Waynes should be coming off IR this week which means someone will have to be waived.  If he loses his returning jobs to Evans and Irwin and Waynes returning pushes him down the CB depth chart,  is he the most dispensible player currently on the roster?  It would be doubtful that he would be signed elsewhere so he could be signed to the PS for the rest of the season

He needs demoted period. We have both Apple and Hargraeves, both 1st round picks. Bring up Irwin.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He needs demoted period. We have both Apple and Hargraeves, both 1st round picks. Bring up Irwin.

Irwin is on the roster, he was simply inactive yesterday because of injuries they needed to have depth in other position groups, including CB

Reply/Quote
Catching the ball is pretty much job 1 if you are a punt returner. But I thought Phillips was also making mistakes fair catching punts inside the 10 yard line. Some were even close to the five. He was doing this throughout the year. I never saw much gain effect doing this.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:21 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: So underappreciated by some in his time here because he wasn't a flashy 'home run hitter.'  

You can’t have a guy with no wiggle returning punts. I’ll die on that hill. I’ll take maybe 2-3 fumbles a year but my guy has the ability to take one to the crib over no fumbles but my returner is never going to score.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:02 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Honestly, I can't believe we haven't called Trent Taylor up from the practice squad yet.

Agreed. 
I can't see how Irwin is more valuable than Taylor right now.
Irwin has only played 15 ST snaps this season.
And he only has 1 reception this season, so it's not like he's contributing much on offense either.

Remove Irwin, bring in Taylor.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed. 
I can't see how Irwin is more valuable than Taylor right now.
Irwin has only played 15 ST snaps this season.
And he only has 1 reception this season, so it's not like he's contributing much on offense either.

Remove Irwin, bring in Taylor.

that is 15 more snaps than Taylor has at all this season

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:15 PM)pally Wrote: that is 15 more snaps than Taylor has at all this season

Well yes, because Taylor hasn't been on the roster.
My point is that having a more reliable, better PR is more valuable than someone who hardly contributes on either offense or ST.

I probably should have included this, but I thought it was already understood, but Taylor has been a successful PR in the NFL with SF prior.
49 PRs with an average of 9.6 YPR.

Compare that to Phillips, who even aside from the fumbles, just 30 PRs for 7.0 average.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well yes, because Taylor hasn't been on the roster.
My point is that having a more reliable, better PR is more valuable than someone who hardly contributes on either offense or ST.

I probably should have included this, but I thought it was already understood, but Taylor has been a successful PR in the NFL with SF prior.
49 PRs with an average of 9.6 YPR.

Compare that to Phillips, who even aside from the fumbles, just 30 PRs for 7.0 average.

I can remember a time when so many on this board were clamoring to see Darius Phillips get the PR job and everything that is now happening is why others were so concerned with him taking over that job.

Trent Taylor didn't show enough WR and special teams ability to make the team over Trent Irwin.  They had the option to keep Taylor on the 53 over Irwin all season and they didn't. They have had the option to elevate Trent Taylor from the PS  to the gameday roster all season and they haven't.  Even last week when they had the option to let Taylor PR over Irwin they chose not to.

Have you ever thought that Taylor isn't getting a shot because Irwin has out practiced and outplayed him?

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I defended Erickson over and over, but he wore stripes so many here did not like him. Tiger

TBF, his first 2yrs as punt returner was rocky and he made bad decisions.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:38 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Maybe being a bit of a homer I'd take Boyd of over Deebo of the 49ers. 

That's probably homer level, yeah. He is 4th in total scrimmage yards and 2nd in yards per touch. Deebo is a monster this season. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:52 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That's probably homer level, yeah. He is 4th in total scrimmage yards and 2nd in yards per touch. Deebo is a monster this season. 

Shanahan uses him as running back quite a bit. As a pure receiver I like Boyd better
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:42 PM)pally Wrote: I can remember a time when so many on this board were clamoring to see Darius Phillips get the PR job and everything that is now happening is why others were so concerned with him taking over that job.

Trent Taylor didn't show enough WR and special teams ability to make the team over Trent Irwin.  They had the option to keep Taylor on the 53 over Irwin all season and they didn't. They have had the option to elevate Trent Taylor from the PS  to the gameday roster all season and they haven't.  Even last week when they had the option to let Taylor PR over Irwin they chose not to.

Have you ever thought that Taylor isn't getting a shot because Irwin has out practiced and outplayed him?

Well, to me, they play two different roles.
Irwin is a bigger WR who can play outside and does a bit of ST but not really as a returner (although apparently he has done 3 PRs this season, of which I was not aware).
Taylor is a smaller WR who is relegated to the slot and is primarily a punt returner on ST.
So in my mind, one really wouldn't outpractice/outplay the other since they don't fill the same role.

Going into the season, it was planned for Wilson to do KRs and Phillips to do PRs.
With Wilson going down, Phillips was put into an expanded role to do both.
As such, what I suspect is that the team saw that they still had their primary PR healthy, so have Trenton Irwin on the roster for outside WR depth and a bit of ST duties other than returning.

Now, I think the PR needs to be re-evaluated. Maybe Irwin should get the shot, I dunno.
I just lean Taylor because Taylor's been more productive as both a WR and PR in the NFL compared to Irwin.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Now, I think the PR needs to be re-evaluated. Maybe Irwin should get the shot, I dunno.
I just lean Taylor because Taylor's been more productive as both a WR and PR in the NFL compared to Irwin.

here does this make you feel better?

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:31 PM)pally Wrote: here does this make you feel better?

T Taylor almost fumbled a Kickoff return as well
Reply/Quote