Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Pushed Around by Bullies AGAIN
(09-11-2022, 08:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Why?

Why, more often than not, do the Cincinnati Bengals turn into milquetoast wimps and allow the Steelers’ defense to beat them up on the playground for lunch money?

I’ve been watching the same scenario for decades and I’m sick of it.  Why does the Bengals’ offense just take it?  More important, why can’t the Bengals’ defense do that too?

I know the NFL desires a high scoring television-friendly game.  With that said there’s a lot to be said for a shutdown defense; the Bengals’ defense played technically well today — props to Lou Anarumo — but Pittsburgh is going to win a lot of games playing their punishing style of defense.  Every hit they make is jarring, they throw players around, and they intimidate.

The Steelers’ defense scared Joe Burrow today.  They made Ja’Marr Chase look tentative.  I haven’t seen that since the 2021 preseason.  

Maybe Zac Taylor should have played the first team offense in preseason.  It shows poor judgment to put the first team out there in Week One with minimal contact and especially against the Steelers.

The final score was 23-20 but we all know the game was an absolute blowout.

On to Dallas!
Not a smart take. I think that the Bengal's defense, for the most part, pushed Pitt around most of the day. The offense? Most of their issues were self-inflicted. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 09:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Idk about all that, FiK. I know why it would seem that way, but without all those Burrow turnovers, how different does this game look?

The Steelers had no offense without those turnovers. Trubisky is terrible. They tried to hide him. Mixon ran fine. Chase was eating.

The problem was Burrow and his rust. That's literally it. Volson was awful, too.

Without those turnovers, this was an ugly blowout.

This.

Hell, if Burrow had been even semi-sharp and the o-line had played better...this game would have been completely one-sided.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 09:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s a LOT wrong with your OP, but this is just absolute nonsense. Chase played a hell of a game. He continues to be the bully when it comes to YAC, and outmuscling DB’s.

Yeah, Chase was easily the best player out there in that side of the ball today.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 08:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Usually I’m among the most optimistic of posters — but not today. I didn’t like what I saw. Poor execution is one thing but lack of preparation infuriates me.

The OL is what infuriates me.After all these years,it’s still broken.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 09:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Joe Burrow today - that's all

[Image: burnt-out-rusted-old-car-near-the-road-a...FLHfJTXyI=]

Joe was looking like Bad Andy today. I wonder how many times Andy had 5 turnovers?

*this was just a lighthearted jab, Joe superfans please don't take offense. Joe is still a great QB. Just not today.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Give it time. We need to look at the offensive line performance week 8. Hopefully it improves every week. This is the first time these guys have played together. Sounds like the FA acquisitions played well mostly. Just the 4th round rookie and Jonah struggling
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 08:52 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I never saw Chase taunt when we're losing last year, something happened this game. He got unsportsmanlike after the redzone INT and he was taunting them when we were down in the 1st half also, a couple times.

A ton of weird shit happened this game that Coach Taylor from friday night lights would have objection to, how does our Coach Taylor handle it- no idea. Taunting when you're losing is not a good thing as a leader of the team. Be cocky after a superbowl ring, at least in that case you were unstoppable 1 year.

As one of the best players on the team they're always going to bait you, just a lesson to learn for our young HOFer that hopefully he uses to his advantage later on. Kobe used to say if the ref can't see it, it's not a foul, for sure the Steelers teach those types of rules - Bengals may not have learned yet.

**** all that, Chase was fine with what he did. **** that scumbag team..
Reply/Quote
Our offense ran up and down the field on them (432 ads, 32 first downs). Our defense shut them down (269 yds, only 13 first downs).

Anyone who saw this game as the Bengals getting pushed around by bullies has some insecurity issues.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure we got bullied. I just don't think refs call penalties against the Steelers when necessary.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Our offense ran up and down the field on them (432 ads, 32 first downs). Our defense shut them down (269 yds, only 13 first downs).

Anyone who saw this game as the Bengals getting pushed around by bullies has some insecurity issues.

Well they had 5 takeaways to our 0.  Bullies take stuff, don't they?  Call it robbery, then.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Our offense ran up and down the field on them (432 ads, 32 first downs). Our defense shut them down (269 yds, only 13 first downs).

Giving up 7 sacks and committing 5 turnovers give it that perception...

There was a play where Watt threw Collins to the ground and almost took the handoff from Burrow to Mixon. And Volson was getting thrown around all day.

There was another play where Mike Thomas missed a TD because he saw a hit coming from Minkah.

Our defense played well. And we did generally move the ball well, just didn't score a lot.
Reply/Quote
We couldn't execute a friggin extra point and a friggin chip shot FG. Plus, Taylor exhibited again that situational football is not his cup o' tea.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:27 AM)Science Friction Wrote: We couldn't execute a friggin extra point and a friggin chip shot FG.  Plus, Taylor exhibited again that situational football is not his cup o' tea.

Traditionally Taylor has been pretty solid in situational football so not sure about that take. He didn't do well today but it's not like he hasn't generally been good at that in the past. 

Having your long snapper of like 15 years get hurt has nothing to do with the Steelers and was the sole reason for missing those. That and Sample continuing to blow the one job he has on the team. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:15 AM)TheFan Wrote: Traditionally Taylor has been pretty solid in situational football so not sure about that take. He didn't do well today but it's not like he hasn't generally been good at that in the past. 

Having your long snapper of like 15 years get hurt has nothing to do with the Steelers and was the sole reason for missing those. That and Sample continuing to blow the one job he has on the team. 

Taylor is 1-26 when trailing going into the 4th quarter. A solid situational football coach...wins more than that.

And even with the snapper hurt, NO ONE blocked Fitzpatrick. This loss is largely on Simmons.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Taylor is 1-26 when trailing going into the 4th quarter. A solid situational football coach...wins more than that.

And even with the snapper hurt, NO ONE blocked Fitzpatrick. This loss is largely on Simmons.

I think we have different definitions of what situational football is. I agree though that it's pathetic you fail 2 kicks just because your long snapper is out. Obviously it's an important position but you shouldn't be so inept that it makes your kicking game undoable. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Taylor is 1-26 when trailing going into the 4th quarter. A solid situational football coach...wins more than that.

Wowza, could you imagine if we had Baker as our QB instead of Burrow?  The entire country could tune out as soon as the 3rd quarter ends. 
Reply/Quote