Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Put Number 55 and the Name Burfict and ...
(01-10-2017, 12:28 PM)jason Wrote: Shazier wasn't at OSU either... If I take my fan goggles off, I can see how shit like that happens though. I do agree that Vontaze would miss half the season if he layed that very same hit on Moore though.

Yep, agree wholeheartedly.

(01-10-2017, 12:31 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I'm not saying the hit was dirty or a penalty, what would have happened to Burfict if he had made the same hit on Moore, or, God forbid, Pig Pen???

By rule, the hit was a penalty.  I'm not sure if it's dirty or not, I don't know Bud's intention.  That being said, he led with the helmet to the upper part of the torso, that's not a form tackle.  You're taught to follow the numbers (that way you don't get juked by the legs or helmet) and put your helmet as close to the middle of the numbers as possible.  Dupree speared him.  I see A LOT of this by the Stoolers....it makes me wonder if it's coached.  

I agree, Burfict gets the boot, but he HAS brought some of that on himself.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 12:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: I was taught in frickin Pee Wee league on a play like that, helmet across the chest, shoulder pads in the ribs, hit, lift the legs, and drive the QB (ball carrier) into the turf.  

How long ago was that? The game is changing, even all the way back to Pee Wee level.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 12:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: How long ago was that? The game is changing, even all the way back to Pee Wee level.

Ha ha ha ha.....quite a while ago.  That said, spearing hasn't been legal for a very long time, and people going for "kill shots" leads to a lot of missed tackles.  I realize the game is changing....the last time I was on a sideline was coaching line/defense (and that was very remedial level) about 15 years ago. That said, if you noticed last night, Boulware had a tackle like I'm talking on Damion Harris.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 12:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ha ha ha ha.....quite a while ago.  That said, spearing hasn't been legal for a very long time, and people going for "kill shots" leads to a lot of missed tackles.  I realize the game is changing....the last time I was on a sideline was coaching line/defense (and that was very remedial level) about 15 years ago.  That said, if you noticed last night, Boulware had a tackle like I'm talking on Damion Harris.

Is Boulware a senior?  Going into draft?  That guy is a beast!!!
Reply/Quote
Listening to the TV announcers covering Bengals games on the networks this year, they often complained Burfict wasn't being flagged for cheap hits enough. Many times I heard the announcers say, " I can't believe Bufict wasn't flagged. How can that not be a penalty. ". ....I will agree that when the Bengals make a hit, the TV announcers say what dirty players the Bengals are, but when Steelers make same hit the TV announcers, even Collinsworth, say the Steelers just play hard hitting football and praise them for it. Yes, it does seem like the TV announcers have a man love for the Steelers. .....I will add that my brother on phone whined about a hit a Steeler made on a WR going up the sideline because he used his helmet. I told him it was not helmet to helmet, but helmet into chest. My brother still whined about it. They way I look at it, going fast, your head and helmet have to end up somewhere. They are a part of your body. What I saw was a defensive player going fast hitting an offensive player going up the sidelines fast. He got hit and knocked out of bounds in the chest area. I saw nothing wrong with the hit. If you can't even tackle these guys anymore, then they should just wear dresses and play touch football. That said, would the TV announcers including Collinsworth whined about the hit if it was Burfict, probably so. Never ever was there a helmet to helmet on this play, and if you can't make this tackle, then it is touch football. If they ever make it NFL touch football, I will just stop watching. Watching these big guys running around like cream puffs playing touch football would be pretty gay, boring and not good football. I have seen these NFL players put on exhibition touch games, and it is pretty bad. I would not pay them millions for it or ask cities to build expensive stadiums for it.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 01:12 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Is Boulware a senior?  Going into draft?  That guy is a beast!!!

He's got a motor doesn't he?  Very football intelligent too.  He's a senior. Cool

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 01:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: He's got a motor doesn't he?  Very football intelligent too.  He's a senior. Cool

He's also the guy that defended Clemson's D going fondling the other guy's packages after the play..... Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 06:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's also the guy that defended Clemson's D going fondling the other guy's packages after the play..... Cool

Not sure what this is about, but dude can play.

Reply/Quote
Lol that hit was as dirty as it gets. He sped up and missiled the crown of his helmet into Moore's chin. The Steelers are the only ones I see tackling like that on a regular basis. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, yet they continually get it anyway.

Yes, Burfict would be suspended/fined for the same hit, and deservedly so. It's the double standard that bothers me the most. I may be in the minority, but I don't get my jollies from watching dudes get maimed. I'm all for keeping the players as safe as possible, but the NFL doesn't seem to hold the Steelers to that standard.

Btw, the double standard also carries over to the announcers apparently. Nantz wouldn't shut up about how dirty the (tame by comparison) Burfict hit was on Brown. Yet he's carefully avoided saying anything bad about Dupree's hit. Disgusting.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol that hit was as dirty as it gets. He sped up and missiled the crown of his helmet into Moore's chin. The Steelers are the only ones I see tackling like that on a regular basis. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, yet they continually get it anyway.

Yes, Burfict would be suspended/fined for the same hit, and deservedly so. It's the double standard that bothers me the most. I may be in the minority, but I don't get my jollies from watching dudes get maimed. I'm all for keeping the players as safe as possible, but the NFL doesn't seem to hold the Steelers to that standard.

Btw, the double standard also carries over to the announcers apparently. Nantz wouldn't shut up about how dirty the (tame by comparison) Burfict hit was on Brown. Yet he's carefully avoided saying anything bad about Dupree's hit. Disgusting.

The 'double standard' was the whole point of the thread.  
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol that hit was as dirty as it gets. He sped up and missiled the crown of his helmet into Moore's chin. The Steelers are the only ones I see tackling like that on a regular basis. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, yet they continually get it anyway.

Well, it's like the Shazier hit on Gio... Nantz or Sims or whoever called that "unfortunate". For some convoluted reason, that kind of helmet to helmet hit was legal at the time... It makes no sense.

I also understand that these are big, fast dudes playing a rough game. Matt Moore is a big ol' boy. It does take some effort to put him down. It's been pointed out that you didn't see this kind of thing with Dupree and Shazier in college. We all know Mike Mitchell is reckless as can be too. That Garver or Garvin or whoever blasted Huber...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:56 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Again, back to the OP, you say that Burfict would have gotten away with it?

If you read what i posted you would understand I was saying Burfict wouldnt have gotten away with it because hes the only one on the Bengals D that is a hard nasty hitter. When we had Reggie Nelson he used to light people up all the time hardly ever got called for anything.

The more nasty hitters on a D, the more the refs allow I.E. Pittsburgh. They all hit like that. We have one guy and thats Burfict, Shawn Williams gets his fair share in but has gotten called for some. Most of our D is soft bend dont break. 

Our D isnt that scary and definitely wasnt this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 11:31 PM)jason Wrote: Well, it's like the Shazier hit on Gio... Nantz or Sims or whoever called that "unfortunate". For some convoluted reason, that kind of helmet to helmet hit was legal at the time... It makes no sense.

I also understand that these are big, fast dudes playing a rough game. Matt Moore is a big ol' boy. It does take some effort to put him down. It's been pointed out that you didn't see this kind of thing with Dupree and Shazier in college. We all know Mike Mitchell is reckless as can be too. That Garver or Garvin or whoever blasted Huber...

Dupree would have no issue taking down Moore without launching and leading with the crown of his helmet though.

I do believe it's the Steelers' culture and they are taught to bully and physically beat down opponents through any means necessary.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 12:39 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It's funny how people excuse the Steelers.

I saw commenters on NFL.com and Facebook using the Burfict argument to explain this hit.

"Well you see the defender tried to hit him in the chest but he dipped down and that's why it was helmet to chin."

That is EXACTLY what happened with Burfict when he hit Brown, but you know how it goes.

The double standard is what bothers me, not the hit itself as much.

That being said, I think Duprees hit was even dirtier. He sped up so that he could destroy Moore. His intentions were clear if you were watching it live.

Burfict used his shoulder on AB though which is what lots of coaches are trying to teach now instead of using your head.

Dupree led with his helmet right into Moore's jaw helmet to helmet trying to take Moore out of the game.

Much dirtier, even if Burfict is built which i think is why Burfict is hated so much. He is extremely strong and just by touching
a player like AB could damn near kill him. He just scares the shit out of the Steelers and the NFL as a whole that are for the
pop culture teams.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 02:28 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I do believe it's the Steelers' culture and they are taught to bully and physically beat down opponents through any means necessary.

....and that is why they win.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 11:46 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: If you read what i posted you would understand I was saying Burfict wouldnt have gotten away with it because hes the only one on the Bengals D that is a hard nasty hitter. When we had Reggie Nelson he used to light people up all the time hardly ever got called for anything.

The more nasty hitters on a D, the more the refs allow I.E. Pittsburgh. They all hit like that. We have one guy and thats Burfict, Shawn Williams gets his fair share in but has gotten called for some. Most of our D is soft bend dont break. 

Our D isnt that scary and definitely wasnt this year.

Marvin Lewis hasn't been the same since Justin Smith got flagged in Tampa Bay in 2006.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 01:12 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Is Boulware a senior?  Going into draft?  That guy is a beast!!!
He's too slow for NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 12:35 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Read the post for crying out loud!!  It isn't about the hit being this, that, or the other!!

If Burfict makes the same hit on Moore, or, worse yet, Pig Pen, what happens to Burfict?????

If Burfict makes that hit on the rapist, his career is over.

He'd be suspended for the season, and if he was allowed to return, he'd be flagged and fined for every tackle he made going forward. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 10:52 PM)Derrick Wrote: He's too slow for NFL.

That's what they said about Burfict. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 10:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's what they said about Burfict. Mellow

On the field speed is what matters no question.
Reply/Quote