Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Put me in the “shocked” camp
I am shocked that this organization actually made a move by trading for Glenn. Looks like we were actually holding true to bring aggressive in free agency after all so guess I can eat some crow happily
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:23 PM)Trademark Wrote: I am shocked that this organization actually made a move by trading for Glenn. Looks like we were actually holding true to bring aggressive in free agency after all so guess I can eat some crow happily

Right there with ya.

Never in my wildest dreams did I see this coming. To say that I was shocked would be an understatement. I actually checked about 8 different websites making sure this was indeed a reality.  
Reply/Quote
Is this Free Agency though?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:23 PM)Trademark Wrote: I am shocked that this organization actually made a move by trading for Glenn. Looks like we were actually holding true to bring aggressive in free agency after all so guess I can eat some crow happily

This is what teams do if they want to win a Superbowl. I thought this would be the best move we could make besides signing
Nate Solder in FA. Have to admit that i didn't expect it either. I was shocked last night when i heard myself.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Is this Free Agency though?

Nope, not even Free Agency yet which is even sweeter. From here on out everything is gravy.

All i wanted was a top tier OL in FA to free up the Draft. Got him before.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nope, not even Free Agency yet which is even sweeter. From here on out everything is gravy.

All i wanted was a top tier OL in FA to free up the Draft. Got him before.

"It's all gravy here on out"!!! Luv ya Nate, but we are the Bengals!! Lol  Seriously though, I like the effort and picking up a proven LT.
"It's the most wonderful time of the year"!!
Reply/Quote
Flabbergasted is more like it......I haven't been this surprised since they shitcanned Mikey's favorite toadie.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Flabbergasted is more like it......I haven't been this surprised since they shitcanned Mikey's favorite toadie.

could not say it better than this.
Reply/Quote
So, if all this new stuff pans out and changes our fortunes, if all this stuff we've been screaming for for awhile now is the answer, the inevitable conclusion to draw is that the fans were right all along and at least as smart as, if not smarter than, the people in the FO who took way too long to come around. This could result in a lot of vindication for a lot of dumbasses who thought they could run the team better.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 05:23 PM)McC Wrote: So, if all this new stuff pans out and changes our fortunes, if all this stuff we've been screaming for for awhile now is the answer, the inevitable conclusion to draw is that the fans were right all along and at least as smart as, if not smarter than, the people in the FO who took way too long to come around.  This could result in a lot of vindication for a lot of dumbasses who thought they could run the team better.

:giggle:
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 05:23 PM)McC Wrote: So, if all this new stuff pans out and changes our fortunes, if all this stuff we've been screaming for for awhile now is the answer, the inevitable conclusion to draw is that the fans were right all along and at least as smart as, if not smarter than, the people in the FO who took way too long to come around.  This could result in a lot of vindication for a lot of dumbasses who thought they could run the team better.

Oh those pesky "dumbasses"  :giggle:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Was pretty shocked myself ! And like Wyche I'd be totally flabbergasted if they keep it going and make more moves that make sense:

Let Bodine walk, cut MJ, take a center in the first round and so on.
Reply/Quote
Cut LaFell and Johnson and sign the best free agent center

Do not bring back Bodine.

Get a great linebacker, pass catching tight end and safety and corner in the draft.
Reply/Quote
First it was PA, then Pacman, and now Glenn.

Yes my system has been shocked.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Actually it proves nothing unless you are willing to say that if the Bengals fail this year it proves that making an aggressive move is a bad way to run a team.  I don't think any armchair GMs here would be willing to say this.

If aggressive free agency was the only move that made teams successful then the Bengals would have finished dead last most recent years.

It takes more than just "making moves" to win.  They have to be the right moves.
Reply/Quote
All the people saying "cut LaFell", who are you planning on replacing him with???
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 01:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it proves nothing unless you are willing to say that if the Bengals fail this year it proves that making an aggressive move is a bad way to run a team.  I don't think any armchair GMs here would be willing to say this.

If aggressive free agency was the only move that made teams successful then the Bengals would have finished dead last most recent years.

It takes more than just "making moves" to win.  They have to be the right moves.

I wouldn't call what the Bengals have done all that aggressive.  They haven't spent a bunch of money.  The trade was a good move because it was absolutely necessary. 

They've just done things that needed to be done and that's not a thing they always do.  That's all most fans want, just do the things any blind moron knows need to be done.  Nobody screams go crazy and spend a bundle.   Just spend a little more and spend it well on some real help.  We're so damned unreasonable, aren't we?

Vindication on the way.  Bengal fans--three years ahead of Bengal management.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Is this Free Agency though?

Not truly free agency, but you might call it "gaming" the free agency system.

Well played Bengals, well played.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
..........crickets........ kind of what I thought....... easy to say "cut a guy"..... not so easy when you have to find his replacement that is better......
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 06:55 PM)McC Wrote: I wouldn't call what the Bengals have done all that aggressive.  They haven't spent a bunch of money.  The trade was a good move because it was absolutely necessary. 

They've just done things that needed to be done and that's not a thing they always do.  That's all most fans want, just do the things any blind moron knows need to be done.  Nobody screams go crazy and spend a bundle.   Just spend a little more and spend it well on some real help.  We're so damned unreasonable, aren't we?

By the standards that we have grown accustomed to seeing from the Bengals, trading for Cordy Glenn was pretty aggressive.  They took the risk, and went on the hook for 11.5M this year.  That is pretty bold, for typical Bengals operating procedure.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote