Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Put on your GM Hat
If..and a big if, I were to be a GM it certainly wouldn't be for Mike Brown. Talk about a 1 and done job.. Who would possibly hire anyone who was the GM for Mikey boy? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 02:26 PM)Coach513 Wrote: I know most dont want to hear this but jonah he's not that talented at LT. Maybe he'll be Best suited for Guard. Best Thing that can Happen to this Team is We Lock down A Top 3 pick for Sewell. I want you guys to head over to "The Draft Network" and do a mock simulator.
Post your results below

Jonah can play anywhere on the line and so could Sewell, but Sewell athletically is a step above and offers a unique chance to lock up a guy who could be a franchise player for the next 15 years.  Keep in mind Sewell is just turning 20 years old and Offensive linemen typically have some of the longest NFL careers.  So regardless of how good Jonah could be, you must draft a blue-chip player when you get a chance to.  Just like with the pick last year under no circumstance can you trade this pick.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Just another quick point on this subject. I think Jonah could be an all pro center in the NFL. The way the guy likes to study opponents and his work ethic could make him one of the best.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 11:12 AM)grampahol Wrote: If..and a big if, I were to be a GM it certainly wouldn't be for Mike Brown. Talk about a 1 and done job.. Who would possibly hire anyone who was the GM for Mikey boy? 

But the good new is; You'd never get fired.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 02:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: The kid is playing his first season at the hardest position on the oline in football (unless your QB is a lefty)
He's been graded consistently as one of our best pass protectors. His run blocking could use some work, but he's far from "not talented".

This.  I am not ready to give up Jonah on year 1 with the worst guard in the NFL on his side.  I would only consider moving Jonah to RT if they drafted Sewell.  
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In today's NFL, it doesn't matter whether you play LT or RT.
RT goes against just as good of pass rushers at LT now.

Jonah is the Bengals' best offensive lineman and is playing just fine. He's only given up 3 sacks and committed just 2 penalties this year.

With that said, Sewell is expected to be a generational talent, so he's worth taking.
And if the team is set on sticking with Bobby Hart at RT, it may make sense to move Jonah to LG.

But in the order of things I would do...
1) Keep Jonah at LT and put Sewell at RT
2) Shift Jonah to RT and put Sewell at LT
3) Shift Jonah to LG

With this 100%.  I know you meant for Jonah to only play LG if Sewell is drafted and put at LT as  well.  
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:48 PM)Okeana Wrote: Jonah can play anywhere on the line and so could Sewell, but Sewell athletically is a step above and offers a unique chance to lock up a guy who could be a franchise player for the next 15 years.  Keep in mind Sewell is just turning 20 years old and Offensive linemen typically have some of the longest NFL careers.  So regardless of how good Jonah could be, you must draft a blue-chip player when you get a chance to.  Just like with the pick last year under no circumstance can you trade this pick.
We should have traded it last year and we should have traded it this year. If Sewell dosent turn out to be the best tackle in the nfl, then we should have traded the pick. Alex leatherwood is gonna be a damn good tackle. Wyatt Davis is gonna be a damn good guard. Asante Samuel is gonna be a damn good cb. Give me all 3 of those over Sewell.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 04:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: With this 100%.  I know you meant for Jonah to only play LG if Sewell is drafted and put at LT as  well.  

Yes sorry, shift Jonah to LG only if Sewell is drafted and put at LT and Hart is kept at RT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In today's NFL, it doesn't matter whether you play LT or RT.
RT goes against just as good of pass rushers at LT now.

Jonah is the Bengals' best offensive lineman and is playing just fine. He's only given up 3 sacks and committed just 2 penalties this year.

With that said, Sewell is expected to be a generational talent, so he's worth taking.
And if the team is set on sticking with Bobby Hart at RT, it may make sense to move Jonah to LG.

But in the order of things I would do...
1) Keep Jonah at LT and put Sewell at RT
2) Shift Jonah to RT and put Sewell at LT
3) Shift Jonah to LG

True about the pass rushers, I was just thinking about protecting the blind side of a quarterback. When the QB can see the rush, it's easier vs him having to "feel" the rush. In other words, he can help you some by moving away when he physically sees it coming.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 02:26 PM)Coach513 Wrote: I know most dont want to hear this but jonah he's not that talented at LT. Maybe he'll be Best suited for Guard. Best Thing that can Happen to this Team is We Lock down A Top 3 pick for Sewell. I want you guys to head over to "The Draft Network" and do a mock simulator.
Post your results below

Ok, you have been criticized enough about your comment about Jonah, so here is my draft.  I couldn't get the draft network to function properly (ad was blocking the way) so I used first-pick.com.

In my GM hat, I would have signed three very important FAs:  WJIII, Mackenzie Alexander, and Joe Thuney.  I would let go of AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Shawn Williams, and Alex Erickson.  That is important to note as I did not take a Guard early.  Spain is my starting LG and Thuney is my starting RG.  

Your Picks: (NOTE:  I traded back since Sewell was gone just two spots and gained a 2nd rounder and 4th rounder.  

Round 1 Pick 5 (WASH): JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU (A)

Before you all kill me for not taking Sewell, he was taken by Miami in a suprise trade with the Jags.  Chase, Higgins, and Boyd give the Bengals an amazing trio and he offers a unique skill set that not only takes the top off opposing defenses but gets open QUICKLY because of the cushion afforded to him by DBs.  He is a better (faster) prospect coming out of college than AJ Green and that worked out very well for the Bengals.  This is a scoring league and you will need to be able to put up 30 against KC, pitt, and Baltimore to move on in the playoffs.  Think of what Tyreek Hill does for the Chiefs.  Chase is the missing weapon for Burrow, and he opens up so much for the slot WR and TE.  

Round 2 Pick 3: Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh (A)

I know, I know...just because he is a DT from pitt doesn't mean he is the next Aaron Donald, but he is a beast of a pass rusher that doesn't get moved in the run game.  Think a young Geno.  

Round 2 Pick 5 (WASH): Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama (A)

I wasn't looking to go back to back DTs, but he was the highest rated player still on the board.  Look at what Washington has done on their defense with those beasts up front.  No really elite pure pass rushing DEs here but Barmore is a freak that can penetrate and take on double teams. 

Round 3 Pick 3: Chris Rumph, DE/OLB, Duke (A)

This is one of those picks that we never get.  The guy that just makes plays all over the field.  The book says he is too small to play DE but he is SO QUICK at the point of attack that no one ever gets set to block him.  A terror of a pure pass rusher than can even line up inside at just 240 lbs.  I LOVE this kid.  Watch his highlights.  In these SIMs, he might be available later, but I know damn well a team like pitt or New England will snap him up early.  Not this time.  He's a Bengal. 

Round 4 Pick 3: Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn (A)

People will throw up when they read "fastest man in football".  They will assume John Ross 2.0.  They would be wrong, and this is Rd 4.  This guy has blazing speed but also good hands.  He is used on more gadget plays in Gus's lame-ass high school offense, but he could be a real threat coming off the bench.  Jet sweeps, short crossers, etc.  Speed kills and when Joe goes 5 wide, this guy gets a cushion, no matter what. 

Round 4 Pick 5 (WASH): Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State (A+)

Underrated tackle with great foot skills and agility.  Thinking how Lapham always talks about the feet (fetish?).  He is a developmental guy that will need a year in the weight room but could pay huge dividends down the road.  

Round 5 Pick 3: Tyreke Smith, DE/OLB, Ohio State (A+)

There always seems to be a lot of criticism for Ohio State guys that aren't off-the-charts freaks like Chase Young.  Smith is relentless and has an excellent blend of speed and power.  A steal in Rd 5.  

Round 6 Pick 3: Chase Lucas, CB, Arizona State (A-)

Thanks to COVID, I find myself watching those late games on the west coast more than ever and they are usually fun because they are all offense.  Not this guy.  Think Jessie Bates but at CB.  Great instincts and a fluid mover.  Could push to start in the long term.  Great team guy to learn behind WJIII, Waynes, and Alexander.

Round 7 Pick 3: James Wiggins, FS/SS, Cincinnati (A+)

No way is he still there, but I love this kid to develop behind Vonn Bell.  Tough as nails and fast as well.  Great prospect.

Round 7 Pick 11: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (A+)

Ditto Ritter.  Taking him here is cheating because some team will get him much earlier.  

So. with my FA expenditures on my big 3 CBs, the best Guard in the league, and letting go of some expensive vets, I am counting on big things from Reader, Wren, Tupou, and this draft class to solidify the front 7.  It is really hard to evaluate our LBs while the front four are playing with street guys in the middle, but I see our nickel as being Wilson and Pratt.  With more talent up front, I have faith in these two.

Signing Thuney won't be cheap, but he is in his prime and is an immediate, sure-thing, massive upgrade in the middle of the line (RG).  I like Spain as my LG, and Adeniji can push Hart to determine the best choice at RT. 

This would address several key issues:  the lack of quick separation by receivers, the porous middle of the defensive line, the lack of depth at CB, and an All-Pro to help protect Burrow/open up holes for Gio and Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 05:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: True about the pass rushers, I was just thinking about protecting the blind side of a quarterback. When the QB can see the rush, it's easier vs him having to "feel" the rush. In other words, he can help you some by moving away when he physically sees it coming.

Yes, but Jonah has been fine from the left side. He's only allowed 3 sacks all season, which is good for his first season on the field.
And having a better LG option than Jordan should make Jonah's job at LT even easier.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 05:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes, but Jonah has been fine from the left side. He's only allowed 3 sacks all season, which is good for his first season on the field.
And having a better LG option than Jordan should make Jonah's job at LT even easier.

Yes sir.... I'm fine with the way he's played in his first season. As you note, a better guard makes him look even better. I'm interested to see how it goes moving forward if Spain can stay at LG the rest of the way. Like you, if they take Sewell, play the best option at LT, and play the other at RT. We'd be looking a lot better. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 05:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes sir.... I'm fine with the way he's played in his first season. As you note, a better guard makes him look even better. I'm interested to see how it goes moving forward if Spain can stay at LG the rest of the way. Like you, if they take Sewell, play the best option at LT, and play the other at RT. We'd be looking a lot better. 

I really want to see at least a couple games with both Spain and XSF as the starting guards so we can know how either how badly the Bengals need to go after an upgrade for IOL either in FA or with a high draft pick.

The Bengals need to make sure they can pass protect with their guards, not just their tackles. Especially with all of the Steelers, Ravens, and Browns having a quality interior pass rush on top of good edge rushers.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 05:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Please coach share your credentials? Which NFL team did you coach the OL? 

Based on facts, your statement looks like your credentials are of the couch potato variety. But, please share your facts so we don't think you are just some fan who thinks he knows more than PFF or others 
Lol funny, But I can see your one of those football nerds who's all about the numbers. I my friend use the eyeball test. And from what i see jonah isn't that good on the outside. If I'm correct he was beat on the last play Sunday. He's a smart guy, i feel he bring better value in the inside.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 02:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think Williams is a good LT. I think he could be a great LT with time but his physical limitations make me wonder how likely it is that he reaches that point.

I could see him being a great LG right now, however. He reminds me a lot of Zack Martin.

I hope we get Sewell and put out an Oline of Sewell - Williams - Hopkins - Spain - Free agent RT.

Alternatively, Williams at RT wouldn't be bad either, but I like him at LG more.

Agree completely 
Reply/Quote
https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator

Round: 1
Penei Sewell OT | Oregon
Round: 2
Quincy Roche EDGE | Miami (FL)
Round: 3
Brevin Jordan TE | Miami (FL)
Round: 4
Tyler Linderbaum IOL | Iowa
Round: 5
Deommodore Lenoir CB |Oregon
Round: 6
Elijah Moore WR | Mississippi
Round: 7
Trey Sermon RB | Ohio State
Round: 7
LaBryan Ray DL | Alabama
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
3 Round: 1
Penei Sewell OT | Oregon
35 Round: 2
Joseph Ossai EDGE | Texas
67 Round: 3
Liam Eichenberg OT | Notre Dame
99 Round: 4
Deonte Brown IOL | Alabama
131 Round: 5
Anthony Schwartz WR | Auburn
163 Round: 6
Noah Daniels CB | TCU
195 Round: 7
J.T. Daniels QB | Georgia
200 Round: 7
Daelin Hayes DL | Notre Dame
Reply/Quote
Just ran an automatic sim from the Draft Network:

Penei Sewell
OT,

Asante Samuel Jr.
CB,

Quincy Roche
EDGE,

Nick Eubanks
TE,

Palaie Gaoteote IV
LB,

Ronnie Bell
WR,

Greg Eisworth II
S,

Jimmy Morrissey
IOL,

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 05:51 PM)kalibengal Wrote: add to that ..Whit used to have alot of trouble with and get burned by Elvis Dumerville due to the size differential (5-11" VS 6-7") 
But Whit IMO goes in the "Mt Rushmore" of great Cincy lineman along with Munoz, Montoya, Braham and Anderson

Bullshit and fallacy; proved it wrong years ago.

And Suggs almost NEVER beat Whitworth... wish I still had the mothership threads with my PFF stats.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 04:31 PM)Jpoore Wrote: We should have traded it last year and we should have traded it this year. If Sewell dosent turn out to be the best tackle in the nfl, then we should have traded the pick. Alex leatherwood is gonna be a damn good tackle. Wyatt Davis is gonna be a damn good guard. Asante Samuel is gonna be a damn good cb. Give me all 3 of those over Sewell.

nah

Reply/Quote