Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Put the word out: McCarron for a 1st round pick.
(03-09-2016, 11:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't know about that. The Bengals scored more against the 49ers defense at their house than any other team did last year. He also played better against Denver's defense than Cam Newton did.

AJM held his own for those being his first starts. You aren't going to get a #2 for him and we do need a backup QB. We have decent depth at every position, except WR. We can handle that in the draft and bring in a bargain vet for the slot.

The team had a chance last year to draft a WR in that deep WR draft, but chose not to.

McCarron played against the Brocking Broncos. Newton played against the Manning Broncos. Manning might not have been all there physically, but his brain and leadership puts him somewhere between 71 and 83 times better than Brock.

Newton also had Olsen and that's pretty much it.
McCarron had Green, Eifert, Jones, Bernard.

Bengals need to rebuild their depth in a couple spots. Some of those you can probably get by on, but they need a better C, better LBs other than Burfict, a DT to go next to Atkins, and 2-3 WR. Also a new Kicker, and someone who can make Tate vanish.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: McCarron played against the Brocking Broncos. Newton played against the Manning Broncos. Manning might not have been all there physically, but his brain and leadership puts him somewhere between 71 and 83 times better than Brock.

Newton also had Olsen and that's pretty much it.
McCarron had Green, Eifert, Jones, Bernard.

Bengals need to rebuild their depth in a couple spots. Some of those you can probably get by on, but they need a better C, better LBs other than Burfict, a DT to go next to Atkins, and 2-3 WR.

I'm not sure what Brock or Payton have to do with Denver's defense.

Please don't make excuses for Newton's play, he had 50+ TDs last year and laid an egg against Denver's defense.

Yes, there are other positions that do need more depth. But why deplete the depth at QB to add one player somewhere else. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm not sure what Brock or Payton have to do with Denver's defense.

Please don't make excuses for Newton's play, he had 50+ TDs last year and laid an egg against Denver's defense.

Yes, there are other positions that do need more depth. But why deplete the depth at QB to add one player somewhere else. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

All factors of a team improves when a Hall of Famer is helping study/prepare/adjust/command/coach/lead.

Not excusing Newton's play, he sucked. He also didn't have 50+ TDs. Not sure where you pulled that number from. He had 35 passing TDs, 15 of which came in 3 games against WAS, NO, and NYG, which were the 28th, 31st, and 32nd total defenses, respectively.

Because a backup QB simply isn't worth a high 2nd round pick for a team who is already set with their starter? Wouldn't you trade a backup for a starter? I sure as heck would.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:27 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: We kinda need a starting #2 WR. Look at last year and 2014 when Green and Jones were out.

Yeah and last I checked the draft is in April
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't know about that. The Bengals scored more against the 49ers defense at their house than any other team did last year. He also played better against Denver's defense than Cam Newton did.

AJM held his own for those being his first starts. You aren't going to get a #2 for him and we do need a backup QB. We have decent depth at every position, except WR. We can handle that in the draft and bring in a bargain vet for the slot.

The team had a chance last year to draft a WR in that deep WR draft, but chose not to.

Bengals defense won them those games. 3 INTs and a fumble recovery in the 49ers game.
Here are the Bengals starting positions for that game when they scored their touchdowns:
49ers 11 yard line due to a fumble recover.
49ers 36 yard line because of a terrible punt and only gaining -2 yards.
49ers 20 yard line after an interception.

And don't compare McCarron to Newton. That's just dumb. Broncos got healthier on defense and actually had tape on Newton. McCarron hadn't played much and did well in the beginning. Then Denver learned how he played and shut him down. But don't act like McCarron is better than Newton in any sense. You look at how Denver played the Super Bowl with defense and look how they played the Bengals and tell me you don't see a difference in that defense.

McCarron did decent. I completely agree with that. He is a backup QB. What I'm saying is McCarron really didn't help us. He just managed the ship.

If a team offers you a high draft pick like a 2nd rounder for your backup QB, how don't you take it?

The team has a chance to get a very good DT in this draft as well. So if you can get two very good young players in this draft, you take it. There's other QBs in this class that can be good backups as well.

Heck, some I liked more coming out of college than McCarron.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
There are harder things in the world than finding a qb in this class that can do what McCarron can do and more.

We should not hesitate if we get at least high 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because who else besides McCarron could possibly do nothing but miss open passes, throw an INT, fumble three times, have a completion percentage under 60%, get happy feet and scramble 9 yards on 5 rushes while taking wayyy too many sacks, and an average of 5.2 yards per attempt, against the 31st ranked pass defense in the NFL... only to get saved by the defense ? Ninja

Considering McCarron had a 97 passer rating last year I would say less than a third of NFL QBs could match his production.

Was this really a serious question?  Sometimes it is hard to tell with the silly stuff you post.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 02:43 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: If a team offers you a high draft pick like a 2nd rounder for your backup QB, how don't you take it?

You don't take it if you don't have another legit #2 QB.
Reply/Quote
The solution is simple. Plant a QB tree because they obviously now grow on trees. Maybe on bushes, but let's not squabble over horticultural issues.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Listen, if Andy Dalton gets hurt, the team is in trouble regardless. To win it all, you need to maximize your assets and minimize your risk. Often times that means you operate on a very thin tightrope. IMO, if you can ever get a 1st or even 2nd round pick for your BACKUP QB, you do it. Especially when your starter is signed for 4 more years and is still under 30 years old. It would be different if Dalton was 35 and declining, but it's the opposite.

In 2 years when McCarron is a FA, he doesn't start another game for Cincy between now and then and he signs a massive deal elsewhere as a starter and the Bengals get a comp. 5th rounder for him, people will wish they had traded him.

Heck, trade him, sign a guy like Mark Sanchez or Brian Hoyer and roll with the extra pick at an impact position.
Reply/Quote
I doubt anyone is banging down the door, but I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about someone being interested in him. Especially the browns. If the broncos were to offer their pick in the end of the 2nd round it may be something viable to free up money to sign some more of their guys and recoup some talent lost.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:51 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: Seriously. Let the league know AJ is yours for a first round pick.

Even I'd say I was crazy, but not after seeing Osweiler, and Sam Branford get 18 mil a year.

It isn't crazy, but Denver's pick is #32.  Is that even worth it?

It is extremely rare to do player trades in the NFL, but considering the value of McCarron at his low salary for two more years, could the Bengals take a player from Denver that could help this team right away?  Emmanuel Sanders?  Not sure what his salary is, but I would rather get a proven player that is affordable over the #32 pick in the draft.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because who else besides McCarron could possibly do nothing but miss open passes, throw an INT, fumble three times, have a completion percentage under 60%, get happy feet and scramble 9 yards on 5 rushes while taking wayyy too many sacks, and an average of 5.2 yards per attempt, against the 31st ranked pass defense in the NFL... only to get saved by the defense ? Ninja

Dalton got a freak injury. He has missed 3 games in 5 years. Lets not pretend Dalton is Sam Bradford or Tony Romo, out there getting hurt a lot. Dalton will be fine, and if he isn't, then they are probably doomed with McCarron under center anyway.

It all matters how you play and who you play against.  How did McCarron fare against Denver's own defense?  On the road?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 10:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't take it if you don't have another legit #2 QB.

So you're telling me there is no other QB in the draft that can be a backup QB? Or even in free agency?

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 10:12 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Hobson said on the radio that the Bengals might be willing to trade McCarron for a 2nd rounder.

Bengals are going to get calls, it's all about who gives the most.

A second rounder isn't enough.  Having a QB with game experience that has shown leadership and poise is worth much more than a second round selection.  Ask the Texans and, now apparently, Philly. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 04:13 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: So you're telling me there is no other QB in the draft that can be a backup QB? Or even in free agency?

Not with Jesus tats.
Reply/Quote
Another way to look at this: Why on earth help Denver? Without a QB, they are a non-factor for the AFC title.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 04:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Another way to look at this:  Why on earth help Denver?  Without a QB, they are a non-factor for the AFC title.

Help Denver? You're missing this, big time.

We need to let them think A.J. for a first or whatever is a good idea, it's not, but don't tell them that.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 04:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: A second rounder isn't enough.  Having a QB with game experience that has shown leadership and poise is worth much more than a second round selection.  Ask the Texans and, now apparently, Philly. 

We have a QB with leadership, game experience, leadership, and poise. His name is Dalton.

Who was the Texans QBs? Hoyer and Mallet? Philly you have Bradford and Sanchez. Our team is better than theirs either way.

I'd take a 2nd rounder for McCarron in a heartbeat.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 10:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Considering McCarron had a 97 passer rating last year I would say less than a third of NFL QBs could match his production.

Was this really a serious question?  Sometimes it is hard to tell with the silly stuff you post.

McCarron also has a 6.94 yards per attempt when starting and including the Steelers games. Ranking him 28th in the league, behind Blaine Gabbert.
Also, he averaged 208.8 yards per game. Ranking him 32nd in the NFl, behind Matt Hasselbeck.

You can twist stats to say whatever you want.

Fact is, Dalton is our starter. McCarron is a backup. Hobson said they'd listen to offers if there was a 2nd round pick involved.

Reply/Quote