Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB #2
(04-16-2018, 08:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Lamar is a QB without doubt. He could play receiver, but he doesn't want to. Several analysts on NFL radio actually have the Bengals taking Lamar at 21, and going oline in the 2nd.

I know. I was being a facetious AHole   Tongue

I'm not a fan of Lamar, I think he's a bust. Besides, didn't Hobson or someone already shoot down the notion thst the team will take a QB early?  
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 04:00 AM)kevin Wrote: I don't want to see us draft QB, WR or CB this year.  We need O Line and I'm all for first 2 picks if we can get Wynn or Hernandez and also Price or Daniels. Our blocking is worst in NFL, but we can fix that if we address that. We also need LB's, SAfeties, D Line, and 6th and 7th round looks to have good RB's and TE's still out there to draft.  Mostly we need Blocking above all, and also more tackling.  

You may not like Barkley but Lasor does.  They are very happy to have Dalton, Barkley, Driskel.   McCarron never did jack for this team. He got his chance to play in 2015, and he didn't do much. Last preseason Driskel looked better than McCarron. Barkley and Driskel are both probably upgrades from McCarron.  

So we better get the much needed blocking and then some tackling.  I know fans get all warm and fuzzy over drafting QB's and WR's every year, but this team needs BLOCKING and TACKLING. I could see adding 2 O Linemen, 2 LB's, 2 Safeties, a DT and a DE and a TE that can block and catch and 2 RBs.  That's all our draft picks with no QB or WR, but we need help at these positions more. Plus as you look through the draft, their is good mid to late round talent at these positions I mentioned drafting, except O Line which we need Picks 1 and 2 because we have no run blocking or pass blocking.  With blocking, Dalton plays every game hopefully.  Lasor really wanted Barkley and says he fits the playbook. 
all good and well EXCEPT that ol' Mikey boy loves him some shiney new QBs to draft..  IDK, perhaps he's moved on from his love of new QBs.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 10:58 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Anyone have any idea what we are doing here? Are we really trying to just role with who we got now? I personally don't think that would be a good idea. Dalton is pretty durable but that does not mean he hasn't gotten injured or we shouldn't have a quality backup in place.

Matt Barkley?? Child please...

Is there another McCarron type in the later rounds? We definitely got a good deal/value with that pick and hopefully we can do that again in this year's draft. Otherwise we should seriously consider Fitzpatrick or some other veteran backup.

The useless today has us drafting the guy out of Virginia in like the third which I don't think has any chance of actually happening but whatever..

I don't think driskel is the answer either.. to me he is a solid qb3/developmental guy and not a good qb2...

Why don't you think Driskel is the answer at being our #2 QB? I really liked what I saw from last year. Just curious?
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 10:15 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: I know. I was being a facetious AHole   Tongue

I'm not a fan of Lamar, I think he's a bust. Besides, didn't Hobson or someone already shoot down the notion thst the team will take a QB early?  

Best case taking him round 1 is another sanu....  but then round 1 is paying way to high
Reply/Quote
Keep talking Lamar up at 21 so we can trade back and pick up some extra picks with the Pats, Jags, or Saints. We are in the perfect spot for Saints/Jags to try to get in front of Pats.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I dont think the Bengals want any controversy and/or competition at QB, so I would be little surprised the backup isnt Driskell or Barkley.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 12:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: Kind of doubt that drafting a QB2 high in the draft is a particularly good strategy unless they have some serious doubts about QB1.. I just don't see them holding any strong doubts about Dalton. They seem very confident in Dalton and their ability to keep him after his contact expires whenever that is .
With other positions of need the top few picks will go to them and not QB2..
How many times has it been noted that if your starting QB goes down the backup is only there to play mop up duty until the following season ? In the case of Foles and Keenum they were backups for a reason and few people expected them to start during the regular season much less the post season. I'm sure that had you taken a poll of the people who expected Foles to be the winning QB in the super bowl at the start of last season you might have found 1 person, but certainly not a lot..
I'm expecting them to draft a QB late, but none in the first 3 rounds.. I'm thinking maybe the 5th if that.  

That is not true for teams who want to win a SB. Too many examples of decent backups winning SBs to ignore the comment. Foles was a starter one year in Phili and he out played Dalton that year. Keenum wasn't bad to start with and the Vikings had two 1st rounder QBs on the roster to boot. The Dolphin's 17-0 season was a season where most of those games were won by the backup QB.

For Mikey Brown though, well, it probably is true.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 12:46 PM)phil413 Wrote: The McCarron draft had a lot of depth to it in the 2nd to 3rd Rd projected types.  That's why value was there when other teams didn't have the qb need or luxury as capped out teams have to fill holes elsewhere.

This isn't a similar draft imo. The top 5 will be gone by the 2nd, that means guys like White and Falk will likely go in the 3rd when the remaining teams without qbs to develop  (especially new staffs) will scoop them up. I know it happens, but I don't see a qb falling low enough to tempt them over their Driskel plan.  Barkley is just insurance.  Even McCarron wasn't drafted as QB2, but sat for a season.  I don't see the same match this year.

Yup.

How often do you get to pick a QB in the 5th round who has won back-to-back national championships, and is the career leader for his Team in passing yards, completions and touchdowns? And he ran quasi pro passing scheme in Bama.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 11:40 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Why don't you think Driskel is the answer at being our #2 QB? I really liked what I saw from last year. Just curious?

It's not really that I think he couldn't be the answer at number 2 eventually. I just think it would be prudent to bring in a proven veteran backup to let him develop more for this year.. and also compete. Didn't he get hurt last year too?

I would like to see more out of him first. He had kind of an ok college career with 1 very good season his final year.. aj McCarron had a way more impressive resume coming in.

But yes I agree he looked promising from pre season last year.
Reply/Quote
Lamar Jackson. Ninja
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 10:15 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: I know. I was being a facetious AHole   Tongue

Yeah, but it's Hobson....so...... Hilarious

I really don't think they go QB in rd. 1, but I have heard several talking heads on NFL radio predict Jackson at 21, knowing he will need a couple of years to be ready to start.  Jackson has the ability to see the field, and a good release. What he needs to fix is his footwork and his instinct to tuck the ball and run, and that is coachable. But, an offense built for Dalton and an offense built for Jackson are not the same offense. As much as I like Jackson, we need Olinemen more. 
Reply/Quote