Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Lawson when healthy
Last year Carl Lawson had 22 QB hits in just 12 games Projected over a full 16 games that would have given him 29 which would have been good for 6th in the league.

When you look at snaps per QB hit it gets even more impressive. Last year Lawson had a QB hit every 20.8 defensive snaps played. I don't have the time to calculate all the leaders, but that rate is better than any of the top 5 leaders in QB hits last year.

Shaq Barrett QB hit every 24.0 snaps
Darius Smith every 23.6
T.J. Watt every 26.0
Matt Judon every 23.6
Joey Bosa every 27.0

And last year was not fluke. Lawson's Career rate (22.7) is also better than any of the top five from last year.

Those numbers may be skewed a bit because Lawson plays a higher percentage of his snaps in passing situations, but it is still pretty impressive.
Reply/Quote
When healthy
Reply/Quote
Hope he stays healthy this year, cause he is a top pass rusher when on the field.

He needs to stay healthy, get better at stopping the run and get better in coverage.
Reply/Quote
Lawson was 1st Round talent coming out of College
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately injury concerns were the reason he fell in his draft class. If hes healthy he definitely has the potential to be an 8-10 sack rotational player.
Reply/Quote
He's a free agent after 2020 so what's Carl Lawson's market value?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Would love to see a full year of a healthy Lawson. Maybe he'll shake the injury bug this season.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 05:15 PM)Synric Wrote: He's a free agent after 2020 so what's Carl Lawson's market value?

Depends on if he can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 05:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Depends on if he can stay healthy.

Even then that's two healthy seasons in 4 years and a rotational player but with a very important job as a pass rusher.

10 to 12 mil?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 05:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Even then that's two healthy seasons in 4 years and a rotational player but with a very important job as a pass rusher.

10 to 12 mil?

It is really hard to say how much his health issues will follow him, but he had 8.5 sacks and 21 QB hits as a rookie playing less than half of the defensive snaps.  If he stays 100% healthy this year he could easily have 11-12 sacks and be among the league leaders in QB hits.

Edge rusher is a high dollar position.  He would have to have a really big yer, but it is possible if he is not injured.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 04:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Lawson was 1st Round talent coming out of College

And that's the crap that happens to us. Anything first round or first round talent? Injured.

Reply/Quote
The last 8 games of the year he had 20 QB hits and in the final 4 games of the year he had 14 QB hits. The guy is a menace to Offensive Lines.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I’m a big Carl Lawson fan you can never have enough good pass rushers. The only issue besides his injury history is how much do you pay a situational player ? I don’t think Hubbard is as good as a pass rusher as Lawson but he can rush and he plays the run and can play all 3 downs. With the additions on defense hopefully we can stop the run early and get into more 2nd and long third downs were Lawson can get more snaps. With Dunlap going into his 11th season at some point in the future we probably need to address DE. I think Hubbard will be here long term going forward we will see what happens with Lawson. We won’t be able to pay everybody but my preference would be that Hubbard and Bates get paid before Lawson. Plus we’ll see what happens with Jackson III then on top of that they’ll probably extend Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year Carl Lawson had 22 QB hits in just 12 games  Projected over a full 16 games that would have given him 29 which would have been good for 6th in the league.

When you look at snaps per QB hit it gets even more impressive.  Last year Lawson had a QB hit every 20.8 defensive snaps played.  I don't have the time to calculate all the leaders, but that rate is better than any of the top 5 leaders in QB hits last year.

Shaq Barrett QB hit every 24.0 snaps
Darius Smith every 23.6
T.J. Watt every 26.0
Matt Judon every 23.6
Joey Bosa every 27.0

And last year was not fluke.  Lawson's Career rate (22.7) is also better than any of the top five from last year.

Those numbers may be skewed a bit because Lawson plays a higher percentage of his snaps in passing situations, but it is still pretty impressive.

Think what he and others on this defensive line could do if opposing QBs didn't have an easy check down to a RB or TE because of awful coverage by the LB corps.  
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hope he stays healthy this year, cause he is a top pass rusher when on the field.

He needs to stay healthy, get better at stopping the run and get better in coverage.

One of the things that ADG did very successfully in college was rush the passer on occasion.  I didn't calculate his hit rates, etc, but he was impressive as he has this duck-and-lean move that he does at a very high rate of speed.  I would love to see him used as a safety blitz-type package from time to time.  That is one thing opposing teams won't see coming :) 

I know we always like to hope for pressure from the front four, but I also hope they have more blitz packages and are very aggressive, especially against the lesser-mobile QBs like Piggy.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: One of the things that ADG did very successfully in college was rush the passer on occasion.  I didn't calculate his hit rates, etc, but he was impressive as he has this duck-and-lean move that he does at a very high rate of speed.  I would love to see him used as a safety blitz-type package from time to time.  That is one thing opposing teams won't see coming :) 

I know we always like to hope for pressure from the front four, but I also hope they have more blitz packages and are very aggressive, especially against the lesser-mobile QBs like Piggy.  

Yes, ADG is a very good pass rusher and I like how he can also tackle and cover. He is versatile just needs to get his weight
up a bit without losing speed. I like all the Linebackers Tobin, Taylor have picked so far, Pratt, Wilson, ADG, Bailey, all of them.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 11:44 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I’m a big Carl Lawson fan you can never have enough good pass rushers. The only issue besides his injury history is how much do you pay a situational player ? I don’t think Hubbard is as good as a pass rusher as Lawson but he can rush and he plays the run and can play all 3 downs. With the additions on defense hopefully we can stop the run early and get into more 2nd and long third downs were Lawson can get more snaps. With Dunlap going into his 11th season at some point in the future we probably need to address DE. I think Hubbard will be here long term going forward we will see what happens with Lawson. We won’t be able to pay everybody but my preference would be that Hubbard and Bates get paid before Lawson. Plus we’ll see what happens with Jackson III then on top of that they’ll probably extend Mixon.

That is just it. Unless Lawson gets more versatile you cannot pay him big no matter how good of a pass rusher he is.

Plus we all know he hasn't been able to stay healthy which is the biggest reason you cannot pay him big.
Reply/Quote
Being healthy is half of the game

Best player of all time is expendable if he can only average 3 games a season

Can’t judge Carl until he throws some health seasons together. That’s why i love Dunlap so much. Homie is never hurt
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2020, 12:35 PM)Housh Wrote: Being healthy is half of the game

Best player of all time is expendable if he can only average 3 games a season

Can’t judge Carl until he throws some health seasons together. That’s why i love Dunlap so much. Homie is never hurt

1. Don't jinx
2. He was hurt in 2011 and 2012.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote