Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Confidence Index: Rating all 32 NFL quarterback situations
16. Cincinnati Bengals
Smack dab in the middle always feels like the right spot for Andy Dalton, whose current Total QBR of 42.1 would be a career low if the season ended today. He has some of those same week-to-week consistency issues we talked about with Newton, except without the running and without the potential for the razzle-dazzle. AJ McCarron remains one of the better regarded backups in the league, which pushes the Bengals' ranking up a bit, but he might not be in Cincinnati next season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21607164/quarterback-confidence-index-rating-all-32-nfl-teams-2017-depth-chart-rankings-week-12
Reply/Quote
Seems about right.

Can’t believe 2 teams have worse QB situations than the Browns... lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
You stand a better chance of hitch hiking out to the middle of an abandoned field in the middle of Nebraska and having the wind blow the winning multi billion dollar power ball ticket right into your hand which allows you to buy the Bengals from the Brown family than Andy being traded in the off season..

Get your ACME hitch hikers thumb TODAY!  
[Image: pmsOzb1hj]
Just drop your order form into any mail box and it'll be delivered in about 5 seconds. The USPS is THAT good.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
With an above average o line and a consistent running game, Andy is a top ten QB

All QBs not named Brady or Rodgers need an o line and a running game.

And Brady has the best coach and one of the best personnel departments in league.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 16. Cincinnati Bengals
Smack dab in the middle always feels like the right spot for Andy Dalton, whose current Total QBR of 42.1 would be a career low if the season ended today. He has some of those same week-to-week consistency issues we talked about with Newton, except without the running and without the potential for the razzle-dazzle. AJ McCarron remains one of the better regarded backups in the league, which pushes the Bengals' ranking up a bit, but he might not be in Cincinnati next season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21607164/quarterback-confidence-index-rating-all-32-nfl-teams-2017-depth-chart-rankings-week-12

Mid tier....that is spot on.

Now be prepared to hear how this rating means nothing. Unless it had us as a “TOP 15” (whatever in the hell that is) then it would be gospel. The metrix waffling and excuse making ability of those who are strong supporters of the starting QB here is only rivaled in the political field.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 01:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Seems about right.

Can’t believe 2 teams have worse QB situations than the Browns... lol

Bort Bortles is more than a bit maligned.  It should be interesting to see if Eli Manning ends up with Tom Coughdrop in Jacksonville for 2018.

(11-30-2017, 02:13 PM)bengals67 Wrote: With an above average o line and a consistent running game, Andy is a top ten QB

And Brady has the best coach and one of the best personnel departments in league.

Thanks to the Mike Brown way it pretty much takes a SB-caliber effort to win a single playoff game in Cincinnati.  And to think, players want to "quit" on this franchise.  
Reply/Quote
I think KC with Mahomes and Smith should be ranked higher.

I'd rank the Bengals higher than the Vikings and maybe the Redskins though.
Reply/Quote
I'm a bit confused here. So this QBR really has nothing to do with their performance on the field, but it has to do with club's confidence in their QB or is it the fan's confidence in their favorite team's QB?
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:39 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm a bit confused here. So this QBR really has nothing to do with their performance on the field, but it has to do with club's confidence in their QB or is it the fan's confidence in their favorite team's QB?

This is ESPN's QBR metric they devised a couple years ago to replace the QB rating stat that has been the gold standard for a half century....lol.  It puts much more emphasis on the complete game, i.e. running QBs.  While it does wonders in that aspect of the game, it's quite meaningless in judging passing efficiency.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is ESPN's QBR metric they devised a couple years ago to replace the QB rating stat that has been the gold standard for a half century....lol.  It puts much more emphasis on the complete game, i.e. running QBs.  While it does wonders in that aspect of the game, it's quite meaningless in judging passing efficiency.

Yeah it factors in when TD's are scored too and stuff like that.

Now...the confidence rating is how happy teams are with their QB situation. McCarron factors into our rating.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah it factors in when TD's are scored too and stuff like that.

Now...the confidence rating is how happy teams are with their QB situation. McCarron factors into our rating.

Forgot about that part of it.

So.....without McCarron, the Bengals are not happy with the QB situation?  Or is ESPN not happy with it?  I ask this because I think the Bengals (right or wrong) are quite happy with the situation.  Most likely higher than this list would suggest.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
There's a reason why ESPN is a laughing stock, and having to fire a bunch of employees.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is ESPN's QBR metric they devised a couple years ago to replace the QB rating stat that has been the gold standard for a half century....lol.  It puts much more emphasis on the complete game, i.e. running QBs.  While it does wonders in that aspect of the game, it's quite meaningless in judging passing efficiency.

Yeah, the QBR metric is a horrible way to measure QBs. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
So now we're expected to base our fandom on some confidence index? I hate to bring it up, but confidence indexes aren't exactly confidence inspiring. 
We have seen the future and it's a kitten hanging from some letters that spell out the phrase "Hang in there baby!" 
Well, I for one am utterly inspired and my confidence level couldn't be higher if I tried. Unfortunately I stopped trying to have confidence in the Bengals way..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:13 PM)bengals67 Wrote: With an above average o line and a consistent running game, Andy is a top ten QB

You said what i was going to say.

Andy is handcuffed here, has been the last couple years and still has hung in there pretty well.

Mid tier is about right right now and he has been our MVP this season lmao
Reply/Quote
QBR? Really? The system that said Terrelle Pryor is a better QB than Drew Brees?
Reply/Quote
Quote:He has some of those same week-to-week consistency issues we talked about with Newton, except without the running and without the potential for the razzle-dazzle.

Um...no.

Dalton: 92.5 passer rating, 18 TDs, 8 INTs
Newton: 81.1 passer rating, 14 TDs, 11 INTs

By game (arranged by passer rating):

Andy:
146.0 (4 TDs - 0 INTs)
124.1 (2 TDs - 0 INTs)
117.3 (3 TDs - 0 INTs)
111.3 (2 TDs - 0 INTs)
108.8 (2 TDs - 0 INTs)
100.3 (2 TDs - 0 INTs)
79.9 (0 TDs - 0 INTs)
77.1 (1 TDs - 2 INTs) - 328 yards and 2 INTs off of AJ's hands)
76.4 (0 TDs - 0 INTs)
63.2 (2 TDs - 2 INTs)
28.4 (0 TDs - 4 INTs)

Cam:
141.8 (3 TDs - 0 INTs)
130.8 (3 TDs - 1 INTs)
120.4 (4 TDs - 0 INTs)
87.2 (2 TDs - 1 INT)
83.9 (0 TDs - 0 INTs)
71.0 (0 TDs - 0 INTs)
66.4 (1 TD - 1 INT)
59.8 (0 TD - 0 INT)
54.9 (0 TD - 2 INT)
48.5 (1 TD - 3 INTs)
43.7 (0 TD - 3 INTs)

I mean, it's not even close.

- Cam has 6 games with a 71.0 rating or worse. Dalton has 2.
- Cam has 5 games without a passing TD. Dalton has 3.
- Cam has 6 games with an INT. Dalton has 3.
- Dalton has 6 games with a 100+ rating. Cam has 3.
- Dalton has 7 games with multiple TD passes. Cam has 4.

Yes, Cam brings the rushing ability to the table, but suggesting Cam and Andy have been the same this year as far as passing or inconsistency is total BS.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

You left out: and elite receivers that can get separation. 

But yeah, if Andy can get all three of those he can crack the top 10. 

As to the OP: They seem to go against themselves time and again. They talk about confidence in current QB situation; yet dismiss injury. For instance our QB situation is currently much better than GB's
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 10:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You left out: and elite receivers that can get separation. 

But yeah, if Andy can get all three of those he can crack the top 10. 

As to the OP: They seem to go against themselves time and again. They talk about confidence in current QB situation; yet dismiss injury. For instance our QB situation is currently much better than GB's

He didn't even have all 3 and he was a MVP candidate in 2015. To say he would crack the top 10 if he had all 3 is a severe understatement.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 11:07 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: He didn't even have all 3 and he was a MVP candidate in 2015. To say he would crack the top 10 if he had all 3 is a severe understatement.

Which one was he missing? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote