Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Confidence Index: Rating all 32 NFL quarterback situations
(12-04-2017, 02:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF Brady were drafted by the Bengals in 2000 as a 6th Round pick...I believe he never develops and is out of the league.

Keep in mind...in 2000 we wouldn't have gotten the finished product Brady you see right now. We would have had to develop him. We would have had to recognize talent and play him. We would have had to block for him.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Even if you want to throw the word "average" at Dalton, that would imply 16th. You want to know who else would be right there with him in that middle tier?

Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Matt Stafford
Alex Smith
Derek Carr
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Carson Palmer

That's a lot of guys you can't win a SB with, apparently. I honestly can't believe anyone could be watching the same franchise I have for the last 25 years and come to the conclusion that we're an elite QB away. It's laughable. This franchise is a joke. They don't spend to cap, they don't value linemen (particularly on the interior), they haven't been able to run the football well for over a dozen years, and our head coach has a horrific track record in big games...with 2 different franchise QB's who have played well otherwise.

But yeah, lets just hope we stumble on an Aaron Rodgers or a Tom Brady, because those are so easy to find, and I'm sure Marvin Lewis and his merry band of tenured bums will get the most out of any talented QB. We all should know better. You think we would nurture a young QB like Pittsburgh did when they helped young Ben with an elite run game and defense? You think we'd bring in some great offensive minds like the Eagles did with Wentz? Would we build up the line like Dallas did for Dak? Heck no. None of this would happen.

It's a minor miracle that Dalton is having a good season with the 32nd ranked run game, poor blocking and 1 good receiver. Changed coordinators in week 3. To me, this is his most impressive season, and we're blaming him for the mess we're in? It defies all logic. People keep talking about how an elite QB could overcome all our problems. Welp, Dalton has a 104.1 rating, 18 TDs to 4 INTs since the coordinator switch. What more is he supposed to do?

Since Andy was taken thr list of QBs that thr Bengals actually had a chance at is relatively small.

Russell Wilson
Kirk Cousins
Derek Carr
Teddy Bridgewater
Dak Prescott
Deshaun Watson (very small sample size)
Case Keenum?

Four of those guys slid to the mid rounds. I also added Keenum to try to extend the list.

But in all serious there were three Quarterbacks that were considered top picks the bengals had a chance at...two of those three were in the same draft.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 02:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Since Andy was taken thr list of QBs that thr Bengals actually had a chance at is relatively small.

Russell Wilson
Kirk Cousins
Derek Carr
Teddy Bridgewater
Dak Prescott
Case Keenum?

Four of those guys slid to the mid rounds. I also added Keenum to try to extend the list.

But in all serious there were three Quarterbacks that were considered top picks the bengals had a chance at...two of those three were in the same draft.

I think that's a very good way to look at it too. Then there are guys like Kizer, Mallet, etc...that haven't been good Pro's. Free agents like Geno Smith.

It's easy to look through a list of good QB's and be like we should have drafted him...but there are a lot of bad QB's drafted too.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 02:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Since Andy was taken thr list of QBs that thr Bengals actually had a chance at is relatively small.

Russell Wilson
Kirk Cousins
Derek Carr
Teddy Bridgewater
Dak Prescott
Case Keenum?

Good point, and all things considered, I'm not sure any of those would be significant upgrades. 

Wilson I would pull the swap for, but does anyone think he'd be as good under Marv as he is for Pete Carroll? 

Cousins basically is Andy Dalton. Does anyone think Andy wouldn't throw more (and post more stats) under Jay Gruden without Marv's conservative influence around?

Watson had a small sample size, but I'm not going to lie. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd at least think about drafting him. That said, he put up a ton of yards and TDs on some the weakest pass defenses in the league. The Patriots, Titans and Chiefs are all 25th or worse in pass defense. His other big games were against the Browns and Seahawks...but he also threw 3 INTs against Seattle. The Jags and Bengals have good pass D and shut him down. I think Watson has a bright future, but I think he'll wind up being closer to a Winston/Mariota type than another Aaron Rodgers.

The rest I'm good on. Dalton is having a better season than Derek Carr or Dak Preskott, and he's doing it with less. Keenum is 30 years old and having his first good season. Bridgewater isn't even worth mentioning IMO. Can't stay healthy, and vastly overrated when he is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 04:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point, and all things considered, I'm not sure any of those would be significant upgrades. 

Wilson I would pull the swap for, but does anyone think he'd be as good under Marv as he is for Pete Carroll? 

Cousins basically is Andy Dalton. Does anyone think Andy wouldn't throw more (and post more stats) under Jay Gruden without Marv's conservative influence around?

Watson had a small sample size, but I'm not going to lie. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd at least think about drafting him. That said, he put up a ton of yards and TDs on some the weakest pass defenses in the league. The Patriots, Titans and Chiefs are all 25th or worse in pass defense. His other big games were against the Browns and Seahawks...but he also threw 3 INTs against Seattle. The Jags and Bengals have good pass D and shut him down. I think Watson has a bright future, but I think he'll wind up being closer to a Winston/Mariota type than another Aaron Rodgers.

The rest I'm good on. Dalton is having a better season than Derek Carr or Dak Preskott, and he's doing it with less. Keenum is 30 years old and having his first good season. Bridgewater isn't even worth mentioning IMO. Can't stay healthy, and vastly overrated when he is.
well said!
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 04:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point, and all things considered, I'm not sure any of those would be significant upgrades. 

Wilson is really hard for me to rate high. Kid is good no question probably escapes pressure better than any QB in football, but for how long can he do that before age gets to him. His height also does factor onto his pocket passing it's mention often by the announcers that he has trouble seeing the middle of the field.

Of all of them I wouldn't mind Derek Carr. The one thing I think he has over Dalton is that he's a closer. He's damn good at closing out a football game. 

As you said about Twatson is hard to judge st thr moment because of sample size. How will he fare after DCs get some tape on him?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 09:12 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Sure lesser QBs have won the SB (extremely rare) but the most likely scenario and one that is sustainable is for us to get a top 10 QB. We cannot be content with Dalton.

Whatever you say, Mike Brown.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 05:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Wilson is really hard for me to rate high. Kid is good no question probably escapes pressure better than any QB in football, but for how long can he do that before age gets to him. His height also does factor onto his pocket passing it's mention often by the announcers that he has trouble seeing the middle of the field.

Of all of them I wouldn't mind Derek Carr. The one thing I think he has over Dalton is that he's a closer. He's damn good at closing out a football game. 

As you said about Twatson is hard to judge st thr moment because of sample size. How will he fare after DCs get some tape on him?

I gotta admit, the numbers do back you up on that. Carr has almost as many 4th quarter comebacks as Dalton in half the amount of games. A 92.3 rating while trailing with under 4 minutes to go. Dalton has a 71.7 rating in such scenarios. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 06:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I gotta admit, the numbers do back you up on that. Carr has almost as many 4th quarter comebacks as Dalton in half the amount of games. A 92.3 rating while trailing with under 4 minutes to go. Dalton has a 71.7 rating in such scenarios. 

I'm happy he's not in Cleveland..... Go Johnny Football lol.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 06:49 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm happy he's not in Cleveland..... Go Johnny Football lol.

Who are we kidding. Cleveland would've ruined him. They can't do anything right. 
Reply/Quote

Russell Wilson
Kirk Cousins
Derek Carr
Teddy Bridgewater
Dak Prescott
Case Keenum?

All would be a upgrade for the Bengals.

Reply/Quote