Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
November Mock - 4 Rounds
1) Broderick Jones, OT Georgia (6'4", 315 lb) - Unless Jonah starts turning things around, next year could be his last as a Bengal. So I decided to pick a stout LT who is good against both the run and pass. Given how the Bengals have been shifting the run blocking this year, I think Jones will fit in well now. Alternatively, if Jonah does return back to 2021 form, Jones could still be a good add with a plan to eventually replace Collins.

2) Will McDonald IV, EDGE Iowa St (6'3", 245 lb) - McDonald has elite athleticism and explosiveness, and it shows on the field. McDonald is in his 5th and final year, but he's proven he can be productive, putting up 27.0 sacks in 35 games the past 3 seasons. McDonald did not have football experience before college, so he started out very raw. Him staying for a 5th year is probably very good for development. I think McDonald could be a great addition to boost the pass rush as a rookie while he continues to develop into a full-time DE.

3) Darnell Washington, TE Georgia (6'7", 270 lb) - Big TE who many think would be even better if he wasn't playing behind Brock Bowers in the passing game. Washington is a very good blocker, helped by his size. He has shown improved ability this season as a pass catcher. Washington is exactly the kind of TE Taylor would target - a bigger guy who is a good blocker and shows potential as a pass catcher.

4) Blake Corum, RB Michigan (5'8", 200 lb) - Mighty Mouse of a RB. Currently doing very well this season, 8th in the nation in rushing. He would have been higher in the rankings, but he wasn't able to really play in the Ohio St game due to a lingering injury from the previous game. Corum can catch as well as pass block. Why I think he's available this late is primarily due to his size - he's small. He reminds me somewhat of Giovani Bernard for how he runs and can block despite his size. However, there will be times he will get beat in pass protection because of his size.

Some things along with this mock:
- I didn't take a DB because the Bengals just drafted two DBs with the first two picks this year. Both deserve to have an opportunity to see if they can blossom into a good starter before drafting yet another DB early. If the Bengals do take a DB, I see it being after middle or late in the draft for depth purposes.
- I would expect (or hope) Bell and Pratt are retained and be starters again.
- I was torn between McDonald and Tuipulotu (DL USC) in Rd 2. I think both could be great pass rushers, but one will play outside vs the other inside. If you want to debate the Bengals need a pass rushing DT instead of a DE, pretend Tuipulotu is listed in Rd 2 instead of McDonald. Bottom line is the Bengals need more pass rush.
- Typically, Rounds 5-7 are just for depth or ST anyway, so I didn't bother looking into guys for those rounds. Bengals have, I believe, their long-term starting K, P, and LS now in McPherson, Chrisman, and Adomitis.
- I'd have liked to get a WR early to groom for a year before the likely (inevitable?) departure of Higgins and/or Boyd since both will be entering the final year of their contracts, but I felt I had to address the trenches and TE due to more of a need. Bengals can always get a WR in 2024 once we see what happens with Higgins and/or Boyd.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm a fan of all 4 players. As I have mentioned though I think Broderick Jones will be the very first tackle off the board and he goes to whatever pick the Steelers end up with...

Darnell Washington is such a great blocker and has shown some great body control and hands in the passing game. If funny you mention Bowers because alot of the screens and trick plays you see from Bowers its Washington out there creating the space for him to RAC.

Blake Corum reminds me of Austin Ekeler. Quick and shifty but plays alot bigger than he is.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Ocho just spoiled the first three picks for us.
Reply/Quote
It's definitely a good mock. I still have to be convinced that TE is a priority. Hurst has performed well, and shouldn't be too expensive to sign. And he likes it here. I'd like a DT in this also, and right now I'd put a WR ahead of a TE. RB, I'm on the fence, but there will be some hard money decisions to sort thru and Mixon is one of them. This is a good year for RB also.
Reply/Quote
Tiger

Were you able to make it to the Tennessee game? I'm hearing that the Bengal fans showed up in full force.
Nice mock as well. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 06:21 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Were you able to make it to the Tennessee game? I'm hearing that the Bengal fans showed up in full force.
Nice mock as well. Rock On

I did not go to the game. Had family in town and it would have been too pricey to bring everyone. Tickets were like $150+ each for any decent seat.
Would have paid that for a playoff game, not for a regular season though. But I'm also cheap AF, so... Hilarious
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 09:49 PM)Goalpost Wrote: It's definitely a good mock.  I still have to be convinced that TE is a priority.  Hurst has performed well, and shouldn't be too expensive to sign.  And he likes it here.  I'd like a DT in this also, and right now I'd put a WR ahead of a TE.  RB, I'm on the fence, but there will be some hard money decisions to sort thru and Mixon is one of them.  This is a good year for RB also.

Even if Hurst is re-signed, a 3rd round pick for a TE2 who could blossom into a TE1 isn't crazy to do.
If you wanted to take a WR in Rd 3 and a TE later, that could be ok too, although I haven't looked too much at the late-round prospects.
Usually it's harder to find a TE with potential worth a damn in the late rounds compared to a WR. Either a blocking TE with no pass catching ability or a big receiver who can't block at all. Bengals need someone who could be both.
Maybe a guy like Rashee Rice out of SMU could fall to Rd 5? I've seen him mentioned in the 3-5 range, and he's pretty athletic and enough size. He might have enough potential as a WR4 on the team who could actually contribute some in the offense compared to the other backend guys the team has right now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 06:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Even if Hurst is re-signed, a 3rd round pick for a TE2 who could blossom into a TE1 isn't crazy to do.
If you wanted to take a WR in Rd 3 and a TE later, that could be ok too, although I haven't looked too much at the late-round prospects.
Usually it's harder to find a TE with potential worth a damn in the late rounds compared to a WR. Either a blocking TE with no pass catching ability or a big receiver who can't block at all. Bengals need someone who could be both.
Maybe a guy like Rashee Rice out of SMU could fall to Rd 5? I've seen him mentioned in the 3-5 range, and he's pretty athletic and enough size. He might have enough potential as a WR4 on the team who could actually contribute some in the offense compared to the other backend guys the team has right now.

Rashee Rice is getting top 50 love from Dane Brugler and TDN.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 07:24 PM)Synric Wrote: Rashee Rice is getting top 50 love from Dane Brugler and TDN.

Tiger

What are you hearing about Trey Palmer ( Nebraska)
I've just started on him and he seems so Bengal to me.
https://youtu.be/op684QQ3VSo
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 08:28 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

What are you hearing about Trey Palmer ( Nebraska)
I've just started on him and he seems so Bengal to me.
https://youtu.be/op684QQ3VSo

I've only watched one Nebraska game and that was against Michigan. DJ Turner shut Trey Palmer down... He had like 5 catches for 12 yards. 

I haven't done a ton of film reviews yet (just started this week actually) so I don't know much about him personally besides that one game.

Reply/Quote