Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
QB candidates for 2020 Draft
Ochocincos listed some potential QB candidates for the Bengals in the upcoming 2020 draft.
Please post impressions and candidates stats in this thread so that Bengal fans can follow these players in the upcoming college season.

I think the Bengals will draft the QB of the future in 2020. They have no chance on getting Lawrence in 2021.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Here is one list by Draft Scout of rankings for 2020 QB.  Note they do not include Fromm and Tua.

1 Justin Herbert     Oregon             6-6 233 4.58 - 4.77
2 Nate Stanley       Iowa                6-4 243 4.91 - 5.09
3 Jalen Hurts         Oklahoma         6-1 219 4.50 - 4.67
4 Steven Montez    Colorado           6-4 230 4.73 - 4.94
5 Shea Patterson    Michigan          6-2 205 4.56 - 4.78
6 Brian Lewerke    Michigan State   6-3 214 4.72 - 4.90
7 James Morgan    Florida Int.        6-4 225 4.87 - 5.04
8 Riley Neal          Vanderbilt          6-5 224 4.76 - 4.98
9 Kelly Bryant       Missouri             6-3 225 4.62 - 4.82
10 Joe Burrow        LSU                 6-3 216 4.70 - 4.90
11 Mason Fine        North Texas     5-10 190 4.67 - 4.86
12 Jake Bentley    South Carolina    6-4 220 4.76 - 4.95
13 Blake Barnett    South Florida     6-4 217 4.76 - 4.95
14 Tom Flacco    Towson               6-0 208 4.56 - 4.78
15 Tommy Stevens    Miss. State    6-5 230 4.52 - 4.72
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
There are a few soon to be 3 year guys too. Jake Fromm, Tua Tagovailoa, KJ Costello, Sam Ehlinger, and Jacob Eason.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I really like Eason Herbert and Patterson but Ehlinger is a guy that is very versatile and was much improved as a passer in 2018 tied with Trevor Lawrence in clean pocket Passer Rating according to PFF and dangerous as a runner in the redzone. Hoping to see a great QB class in 2019.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I am going to keep an on on Hurts this year. Easton out in Washington and of course Herbert. Ever since A. Smith fiasco, I have an aversion against QB from Oregon.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Copied from the WR thread since someone brought up QB...

Justin Herbert, QB Oregon - Ideal measurables who will have 4 years of production but needs to display a better sense of pressure and avoid it.

Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama - Was in contention for the Heisman and is extremely accurate, but he plays for Alabama (who hasn't produced good NFL QBs) and is shorter than preferred.

Jake Fromm, QB Georgia - Has good pocket presence, overall passing ability, and slightly taller than Tua, but he still isn't the preferred 6'3"+ and isn't great at driving the ball downfield. He'd fit into more of a short-to-intermediate passing attack that has a good run game.

KJ Costello, QB Stanford - Has the height teams would prefer, a big arm, played in a pro style offense, and will have played 2+ seasons. He probably needs a little more bulk, as he's 6'5" but only 215 lbs. He also isn't the most mobile guy. People view him as more of the prototypical pocket passer.

Jacob Eason, QB Washington - There's a lot of hype around this guy because he has good size and was the starting QB for Georgia before he got hurt and the team chose to then stick with Fromm once Eason was healthy again. Eason hasn't really played since 2016 and he only had a 55% completion percentage, but people seem to love his skill set. His biggest question mark is what will he do now that he's at Washington and fully healthy?

Another to add to the list could be Sam Ehlinger, QB Texas.
Ehlinger is currently measured at 6'3", 235 lbs but could always end up at 6'2" like what often happens going from college to the NFL. From what I've read, he's had an injury every season going back to his freshman year of high school, but he's been a good QB who can throw and run while also having good pocket presence. If he can stay healthy all this season, he could enter the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 10:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Copied from the WR thread since someone brought up QB...

Justin Herbert, QB Oregon - Ideal measurables who will have 4 years of production but needs to display a better sense of pressure and avoid it.

Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama - Was in contention for the Heisman and is extremely accurate, but he plays for Alabama (who hasn't produced good NFL QBs) and is shorter than preferred.

Jake Fromm, QB Georgia - Has good pocket presence, overall passing ability, and slightly taller than Tua, but he still isn't the preferred 6'3"+ and isn't great at driving the ball downfield. He'd fit into more of a short-to-intermediate passing attack that has a good run game.

KJ Costello, QB Stanford - Has the height teams would prefer, a big arm, played in a pro style offense, and will have played 2+ seasons. He probably needs a little more bulk, as he's 6'5" but only 215 lbs. He also isn't the most mobile guy. People view him as more of the prototypical pocket passer.

Jacob Eason, QB Washington - There's a lot of hype around this guy because he has good size and was the starting QB for Georgia before he got hurt and the team chose to then stick with Fromm once Eason was healthy again. Eason hasn't really played since 2016 and he only had a 55% completion percentage, but people seem to love his skill set. His biggest question mark is what will he do now that he's at Washington and fully healthy?

Another to add to the list could be Sam Ehlinger, QB Texas.
Ehlinger is currently measured at 6'3", 235 lbs but could always end up at 6'2" like what often happens going from college to the NFL. From what I've read, he's had an injury every season going back to his freshman year of high school, but he's been a good QB who can throw and run while also having good pocket presence. If he can stay healthy all this season, he could enter the draft.

Is Tua and Fromm expected to enter the draft this year instead of next year because of Lawrence?  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Jalen Hurt. Seemed Michigan was always trying to find a way to bench Brady and Bama has done the same with Hurt.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 04:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Is Tua and Fromm expected to enter the draft this year instead of next year because of Lawrence?  

I don't know if the reason would be because of Lawrence, but I have read that it's expected both would enter the draft early.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 06:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't know if the reason would be because of Lawrence, but I have read that it's expected both would enter the draft early.

I'd say that the reason they would come out early is more because of that's what's "expected" of a future NFL franchise QB, these days.  It's almost to the point where after Matt Leinart stayed for his Senior Season, that some talent evaluators feel like if a QB "needs" to stay for his final year, there must be something wrong with him, and thus not franchise QB material.

On another note, don't discount Joe Burrow.  He was a first year starter, with a new team last season, he did incredible given the situation.  Now, after a year to be settled, I think he lights it up this year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd say that the reason they would come out early is more because of that's what's "expected" of a future NFL franchise QB, these days.  It's almost to the point where after Matt Leinart stayed for his Senior Season, that some talent evaluators feel like if a QB "needs" to stay for his final year, there must be something wrong with him, and thus not franchise QB material.

On another note, don't discount Joe Burrow.  He was a first year starter, with a new team last season, he did incredible given the situation.  Now, after a year to be settled, I think he lights it up this year.

I was impressed with Burrow.  Wish OSU kept him.  He seems like a prototype NFL QB. 
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 07:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I was impressed with Burrow.  Wish OSU kept him.  He seems like a prototype NFL QB. 

I think that you're right about Joe.  He showed incredible poise and character by changing programs, winning the starting job, and acting like he'd been there before.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 07:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that you're right about Joe.  He showed incredible poise and character by changing programs, winning the starting job, and acting like he'd been there before.  

I just like his pocket presences.  He stands tall and has a decent short to intermediate arm.  Sort of like Palmer and Dalton combined but better than Dalton I think.  Hard to tell at this point. I will be following Burrow this season though.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd say that the reason they would come out early is more because of that's what's "expected" of a future NFL franchise QB, these days.  It's almost to the point where after Matt Leinart stayed for his Senior Season, that some talent evaluators feel like if a QB "needs" to stay for his final year, there must be something wrong with him, and thus not franchise QB material.

Burrow needs to get his completion percentage up. And how do you mean first-year starter? He's going into his senior season with only one year of starting. I know he transferred schools but I don't consider that a "first-year starter."
I'm not discounting him but you can't really expect him to be in conversation with these other guys unless/until he shows more on the field.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 09:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Burrow needs to get his completion percentage up. And how do you mean first-year starter? He's going into his senior season with only one year of starting. I know he transferred schools but I don't consider that a "first-year starter."
I'm not discounting him but you can't really expect him to be in conversation with these other guys unless/until he shows more on the field.

Yeah, excuse my faulty terminology.  I mean his first year as a starter, and left a couple of words out.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I’d keep an eye on Nate Stanley. Hes built like Big Ben. We all know how that worked out for Pissburgh.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I am not a huge Walter Football draft board fan but here is a link listing current rankings.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2020QB.php
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 10:28 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I’d keep an eye on Nate Stanley.  Hes built like Big Ben.  We all know how that worked out for Pissburgh.

My Problem with Stanley is his accuracy.  But he is big, stands tall in pocket.  Seems like he has a decent arm.   
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
I think James Morgan (FIU) is undervalued at the moment.
Blake Barnett (SF) as well.
Reply/Quote
https://www.footballcouchscout.com/qbs

Desmond Ridder of UC ranks 12th here
Reply/Quote