Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
QB candidates for 2020 Draft
(08-15-2019, 01:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I think James Morgan (FIU) is undervalued at the moment.
Blake Barnett (SF) as well.

(08-15-2019, 03:35 PM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.footballcouchscout.com/qbs

Desmond Ridder of UC ranks 12th here

Don't you think they will go after Franchise QB if they draft a QB in round one next year?  

Goalpost, I don't know why they have Burrow rated so low on the list.  I thought he looked decent last year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Justin Herbert intrigues me, but I'd definitely want to see how he does this year.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 05:18 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Don't you think they will go after Franchise QB if they draft a QB in round one next year?  

Goalpost, I don't know why they have Burrow rated so low on the list.  I thought he looked decent last year.  

Burrow has room to ascend, but he only had 16 TD passes last year and a sub-60% completion percentage.
He needs to elevate his game and become the focal point of that offense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
In the Bengals never ending quest to draft some injured player in the first round.... Whoever gets injured will be our guy.. ThumbsUp Preferably a life threatening variety just to quash any doubts.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I started this thread because I felt Dalton's replacement will be drafted in round 1 2020. I wonder if his replacement is already on the team in Dolegala and Finley?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
dont draft fromm. hes another dalton maybe an inch taller thats it... grab either Herbert or Tua. Maybe eason pending his year at washington although im hearing hes transfering.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 12:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I started this thread because I felt Dalton's replacement will be drafted in round 1 2020.  I wonder if his replacement is already on the team in Dolegala and Finley?

I'm inclined to say no.
Reply/Quote
I’d like to see them give the three behind Dalton a thorough shot. Each have done well with the opportunities they’ve gotten. I think they deserve a look. Excited specifically for Jake and Ryan.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 05:13 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: dont draft fromm.  hes another dalton maybe an inch taller thats it... grab either Herbert or Tua.  Maybe eason pending his year at washington although im hearing hes transfering.

I think you're spot on with the Fromm-Dalton comparison. Fromm would do best in a WCO that focuses on short-to-intermediate passes, getting the ball out quickly and accurately, and taking advantage of play-action. If that ends up as the Bengals' offensive scheme though, Fromm would be a good option if they want to go with a rookie contract rather than pay a veteran $15+ mill a year.

Bengals I think will really have to tank for Tua because I think there's a very good chance Tua goes in the Top 3, probably 1st overall.

Herbert has a great skill set but a lot will ride on how he performs this season. The Oregon offense has never been an overly-complex one where the QB is asked to go through progressions, stand tall in the pocket, and make the throw. His accuracy dropped a lot last year as he tried to push more down the field. I still see him as a legitimate candidate for a franchise QB but there might be some growing pains he has to go through.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Urban Meyers walked this back some but insinuated that Lawrence may be the Best QB ever to come out of college.
Maybe the Bengals should tank next year's season... Hmm
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 12:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I started this thread because I felt Dalton's replacement will be drafted in round 1 2020.  I wonder if his replacement is already on the team in Dolegala and Finley?

after this season they will possibly extend Dalton..  
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 01:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: after this season they will possibly extend Dalton..  
 I think they will let Dalton finish his contract then move on.  I guess it depends on what he accomplishes this year.  It would shock me if they "bench" Dalton in favor of one of the young QB.  But who knows.  This coaching staff seem bent on winning, and do not care what toes are stepped on.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Dolegala is the wave of the future, none of these college hotshots!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
while not a QB a 1st round prospect LB Mosley I believe just blew his ACL and is likely to slide in the draft next year if he enters. something to keep an eye on.

(for QB it kinda depends on how this season goes if we even are in a position to look at the top QBs)
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2019, 03:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: while not a QB  a 1st round prospect  LB Mosley I believe just blew his ACL  and is likely to slide in the draft next year if he enters.  something to keep an eye on.

(for QB it kinda depends on how this season goes if we even are in a position to look at the top QBs)

If we end up in the 5-7 wins this year and the team decides to move on from Andy Dalton, I'd be fine with letting Finley and Dolegala battle it out in 2020.  Worst case scenario, we're picking high in 2021 and perhaps in the running for the Trevor Lawrence Sweepstakes.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2019, 02:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think you're spot on with the Fromm-Dalton comparison. Fromm would do best in a WCO that focuses on short-to-intermediate passes, getting the ball out quickly and accurately, and taking advantage of play-action. If that ends up as the Bengals' offensive scheme though, Fromm would be a good option if they want to go with a rookie contract rather than pay a veteran $15+ mill a year.

Bengals I think will really have to tank for Tua because I think there's a very good chance Tua goes in the Top 3, probably 1st overall.

Herbert has a great skill set but a lot will ride on how he performs this season. The Oregon offense has never been an overly-complex one where the QB is asked to go through progressions, stand tall in the pocket, and make the throw. His accuracy dropped a lot last year as he tried to push more down the field. I still see him as a legitimate candidate for a franchise QB but there might be some growing pains he has to go through.

And that is how Akili Smith fooled everyone into thinking he was a first round talent. I'd just assume stay away from QBs that don't have pro-style offense.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 12:42 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And that is how Akili Smith fooled everyone into thinking he was a first round talent. I'd just assume stay away from QBs that don't have pro-style offense.

Unfortunately, too many colleges are going away from pro-style offense so sometimes there may not be a choice.
The key for evaluating any college player is to first look at the tape and see what they did well and what they either struggled with or they just didn't do because of scheme.
Then, if you like enough about the player still, put them through a private workout where you specifically go into the areas that you didn't get to see enough of on tape to determine if they have that potential or not.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If we are looking at QBs that come from pro-style systems:

Tua Tagovailoa - Alabama
K.J. Costello - Stanford
Nate Stanley - Iowa
Shea Patterson - Michigan
Jake Fromm - Georgia
Joe Burrow - LSU (?)
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 09:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Unfortunately, too many colleges are going away from pro-style offense so sometimes there may not be a choice.
The key for evaluating any college player is to first look at the tape and see what they did well and what they either struggled with or they just didn't do because of scheme.
Then, if you like enough about the player still, put them through a private workout where you specifically go into the areas that you didn't get to see enough of on tape to determine if they have that potential or not.

Fair enough, I just haven't seen much in the way of successful QBs from Oregon into the pros. Between Akili Smith and Joey Harrington, it just seems like they flame out. And the Bengals have wasted too many first rounders recently.

(08-29-2019, 09:58 AM)Big Boss Wrote: If we are looking at QBs that come from pro-style systems:

Tua Tagovailoa - Alabama
K.J. Costello - Stanford
Nate Stanley - Iowa
Shea Patterson - Michigan
Jake Fromm - Georgia
Joe Burrow - LSU (?)

Tua would be a really nice player to get I think but have to let the season play out and see if he continues.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2019, 01:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Fair enough, I just haven't seen much in the way of successful QBs from Oregon into the pros. Between Akili Smith and Joey Harrington, it just seems like they flame out. And the Bengals have wasted too many first rounders recently.

Tua would be a really nice player to get I think but have to let the season play out and see if he continues.

I understand the skepticism.

Chris Trapasso of CBS Sports just posted this article of comparing Tua vs Herbert.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/justin-herbert-vs-tua-tagovailoa-who-has-better-accuracy-arm-strength-and-scrambling-ability/
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote