Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
QB candidates for 2020 Draft
(11-20-2019, 01:37 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: either way will not fix the team in its entirety.  Reason to go Burrow is the Bengals may not have chance for another QB for a while unless they lose next year more than expected.  If they are picking 12-17 in draft they could get a good QB but probably not a great QB given the Bengals history.  Remember, this franchise is not like another NFL franchise that can find a QB later in the draft.  They did ok with Dalton, just ok.  This front office especially Mike Brown cannot pick QB early or later, but at least picked Palmer with the overall #1 pick.  Need low hanging fruit for them not to miss, and yet they still could miss.  

Agreed. If they feel like Burrow is that guy, then by all means go grab him. Get your guy and then upgrade around him, focus on the defense afterwards. Regardless of going QB or not, I want that offensive line FIXED. 
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 01:24 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This is my worry as well. If they go Chase Young, I would want them to commit to OL/LB changes. Go Young with #1, grab a lineman (Kindley?) or a LB (Troy Dye/Kenneth Murray?) and then continue with offensive line adjustments. An intriguing possibility is grabbing Kindley in the second, and grabbing someone like Calvin Throckmorton and/or Shane Lemieux. 

The first three rounds could look like.....

#1 - Chase Young
#2 - Solomon Kindley
#3 - Calvin Throckmorton/Shane Lemieux (both are projected to likely play G in the NFL but Throckmorton is currently a tackle. He has some flexibility.)

I would feel comfortable with this setup. The team would still be a pretty bad team, don't make any mistake. The concern would be that they would HAVE to be bad enough to get someone like Trevor Lawrence or Fields. If they aren't bad enough to grab one of the top QB prospects then that really pushes the window back for this team.

Another possibility is....(this could be done with #1 overall or by trading back).

#1 - Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert
#2 - Solomon Kindley
#3 - Calvin Throckmorton/Shane Lemieux

Same idea in round two and three, but the Bengals grab their guy at QB and focus heavily on the offensive line. I lean more towards this approach. Talent wise, the offense is close. Boyd and Green (if he becomes healthy) provide enough firepower at wide receiver and Mixon is a fantastic running back. The offensive line being improved would give this offense a much needed face lift. The defense would still be pitiful but this could be addressed in 2021 as I still wouldn't expect this team to be very good.

If you don't get QB in 2020 draft, would you roll with Dalton and Finley again? Or get a different starter in FA?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 01:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Agreed. If they feel like Burrow is that guy, then by all means go grab him. Get your guy and then upgrade around him, focus on the defense afterwards. Regardless of going QB or not, I want that offensive line FIXED. 

If the Bengals go Burrow then they could focus on offense this year and defense next year.  They could go 
Burrow
Austin Jackson (If he is there and declares as a JR.) 
Kindley or another guard.  

They could get a talented WR to help out Burrow and maybe a starter in LB.  Still a lot of holes but it is a start.  Burrow is being compared to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.  Neither had rocket arms but make good decisions, are gritty players and cerebral.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 01:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you don't get QB in 2020 draft, would you roll with Dalton and Finley again? Or get a different starter in FA?

I genuinely believe Dalton wants to, and will, leave this off-season. With that being my belief, it would be Finley or Dolegala (I don't have faith that Cinci would utilize FA to grab their next starter.) If Dalton stays, I would put him back out there as he is the best QB on the roster.
Reply/Quote
Has anyone taken a close look at Anthony Gordon?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 02:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Has anyone taken a close look at Anthony  Gordon?

Saw him play against UCLA was up and down that game with Turnovers.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 02:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Has anyone taken a close look at Anthony  Gordon?

I watched him play against Oregon and was very impressed. Moves and throws like Aaron Rodgers. Oh wouldn't that be nice...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
As a Georgia Bulldogs fan (yes I'm named Carolina, but that's the state I live in), if we don't go Burrow in the first (only guy I'd take in the first) I wouldn't mind Fromm in the third or at another spot that's not the top of the 2nd. I'm just not completely sold on him so much as to spend a high pick on him. He seems like a safe QB that would benefit playing on a team with a strong defense and running game. Pretty much like he does in college now. He's never really shown me he can just completely take over a game and win it on his own so to speak.
Reply/Quote
The latest PFF rankings are out (after 12 wks) for QBs. I'll throw out a few and what they say.

22. JACOB EASON, WASHINGTON

Eason has diced up defenses from a clean pocket in 2019, throwing 17 touchdowns and 2,152 yards with an 81.3% adjusted completion percentage when no pressure is allowed to register. Unfortunately, when pressure does get home, that's when it gets a bit messy for the Washington QB. Eason ranks just 110th in the country with a 53.2 passer rating when pressures, completing just 35.2% of his passes and throwing multiple interceptions. Good thing is, he's pressured on just 25.1% of his dropbacks this year, the 31st-lowest percentage. All of this has led to 19 big-time throws and the country's 18th-highest overall grade and 25th-ranked passing grade. He has a pretty deep pass and can put some muster behind some throws away from coverage and will have an interesting decision ahead of him as to whether or not declare for the 2020 NFL Draft.

13. ANTHONY GORDON, WASHINGTON STATE

It hasn't been pretty at times for the whole Cougars team this season but one thing is for sure, Gordon has been lights out and scored at least 31 points in all but two games this year. He's the nation's leader in yards (4,299) and touchdowns (39) while ranking fifth with 24 big-time throws. Despite a large number of throws, Gordon still ranks ninth in the country in terms of adjusted completion percentage, tossing a catchable passes on 79.5% of his attempts. Gordon has been terrific from a clean pocket, throwing 36 touchdowns and 3,700 of his yards, fielding the nation's 11th-best passer rating on clean-pocket throws. Needing one more win to secure a bowl game, Gordon has the potential to light up the field and the scoreboard against Oregon State's poor defense.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
7. JAKE FROMM, GEORGIA

Fromm can't shake the game-manager label unfortunately but that's worked to his benefit following the South Carolina mishap. The Bulldogs have clinched the SEC title game and Fromm certainly has had a lot to do with that. He's connected on 52 passes for 1,175 yards on throws targeted at least 10 yards downfield, throwing 16 big-time throws and just three turnover-worthy passes. When given a clean pocket by his offensive line, something that is more frequent for him than most (77.9%, seventh-highest), Fromm has thrown 15 touchdowns against just two interceptions and his adjusted completion percentage of 74.0% tells a bigger picture. He's a sharp quarterback with his reads and every bit of a top-10 quarterback on a top-10 team.

5. TREVOR LAWRENCE, CLEMSON

The nation's highest-graded quarterback over the past three games is none other than Lawrence as he's completed 75.7% of his passes for 766 yards and 10 touchdowns against zero interceptions in his last three outings. He's shaken off every bit of rust or preseason hype that he bought into to start the season and looks every bit like the first overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. Still, he has now led the Clemson Tigers to commanding victories in every game since their close-victory over North Carolina as they're the odds-on, heavy favorite to win the National Championship. He would be in serious Heisman Trophy consideration had he not had the slip up in the beginning of the season where he surpassed his previous season totals of turnover-worthy passes in just three games but you can bet he's the favorite to win it in 2020.

Reply/Quote
4. JUSTIN HERBERT, OREGON

Kept clean on 76.4% of his dropback attempts, Herbert has the benefit of playing behind the best offensive line in college football and all he's done in respone is field the country's 10th-highest passer rating on clean-pocket attempts. He's completed 188-of-256 clean-pocket attempts for 2,160 yards and 24 touchdowns compared to just two interceptions as he's been an absolute terror to defenses when kept clean. The scary part for opposing defenses as well is the fact that Herbert also ranks 18th in passer rating when pressured. He's thrown 18 big-time throws this year and even though his receivers have dropped 23 of his passes, still is averaging a healthy 8.3 yards per attempt. Through 10 games, Herbert is the nation's highest-graded passer to the intermediate (10-19 yards downfield) range. The potential matchup between Oregon-Herbert and Utah-Huntely gets more and more exciting as the days move on.

3. JALEN HURTS, OKLAHOMA

Hurts got himself into a hole against Baylor but was able to dig himself out in the largest come-from-behind victory in Oklahoma history as he's still atop the majority of leaderboards in a vast majority of PFF signature statistics. Hurts has the country's second-highest passer rating from a clean pocket, dissecting defenses to the tune of an 80.4% completion percentage as well as 19 touchdowns against just three interceptions. Even if he is pressured, he's still able to read the defense and get the ball out with terrific ability, ranking fourth in under pressure passer rating at 115.1. When throwing downfield, he's shown an ability that he hadn't shown prior, completing the nation's second-highest percentage of passes (69.1%) on throws at least 10 yards downfield, currently completing 81-of-117 attempts for 1,969 yards and 17 scores. Add to his impressive resume his incredibly efficient ground game that has seen him gain 669 yards on designed carries and 1,050 total rushing yards this year as he's set to break even his previous career-best 1,072 he set back in 2016. He's also owner of the highest game grade we've given to a quarterback in a single game this year, Hurts is absolutely playing himself to New York for the Heisman Trophy ceremony in the third straight season a Lincoln Riley led transfer QB will be at the ceremony.

Reply/Quote
2. JUSTIN FIELDS, OHIO STATE

If his elite grades on his 173 snaps during his freshman season at Georgia didn't tell us enough, Fields has surpassed what even the loftiest expectations could have been for him this season as he's rattled off seven game grades of 80.0 or higher and elite passing grades in seven as well. Shedding the potential label of dual-threat that he may have been slapped with coming out of high school, Fields is a legit downfield passer and currently the third-highest-graded passer on throws to the intermediate range of the field and third-highest on all throws at least 10 yards downfield. He's completed 69-of-113 attempts on throws 10 or more yards downfield for 1,423 yards and 24 touchdowns compared to just one interception. His passer rating of 140.9 is by far the highest among all quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts downfield. Combine that with the fact that he's gained 494 yards on the ground and 10 more scores and Fields possesses the most legit chance to take down Burrow for the Heisman if he were to falter down the stretch.

Reply/Quote
1. JOE BURROW, LSU

In a meteoric rise to the top, no quarterback can top the level of play that Burrow has been able to put forth to every level of the field and on any situation. When ‘any quarterback not named Joe Burrow' leads a PFF signature stat category becomes an accomplishment, you know how much of an impact you've made on the landscape of college football. Burrow is the nation's highest-graded passer throws targeted 10 or more yards downfield and on all throws as he also leads the country with 28 big-time throws. He's limited mistakes and thrown just nine turnover-worthy passes all season long despite playing some top-notch defenses in Alabama and Auburn to name a few. Burrow is all but a lock to win the Heisman Trophy this season as he's second in adjusted completion percentage at 83.8% meaning he's testing the defense downfield with great ability while also taking enough care of the football to ensure just his receivers have the ability to bring in the ball and not the defenders. He's the highest-graded passer under pressure and is setting LSU and PFF College records in the process of a historic season, the likes of which we haven't seen.

Reply/Quote
Burrow could be a franchise saver, or he could be one of the biggest QB busts in recent memory given his historic performance this season.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Justin Herbert will be up against Utah's top 5 defense in a few weeks. If Utah wins they have a chance although slim to get into CFB Playoffs.

If LSU beats Arkansas this Saturday we will get to see Joe Burrow up against Georgia's top 10 defense on a big stage in the SEC Championship...If LSU wins we will likely see Burrow up against at least one maybe two of the top 2 defenses in CFB in Ohio State and Clemson.

If Burrow comes through that looking as good as he has...I want him in stripes.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 01:29 PM)Synric Wrote: Justin Herbert will be up against Utah's top 5 defense in a few weeks. If Utah wins they have a chance although slim to get into CFB Playoffs.

If LSU beats Arkansas this Saturday we will get to see Joe Burrow up against Georgia's top 10 defense on a big stage in the SEC Championship...If LSU wins we will likely see Burrow up against at least one maybe two of the top 2 defenses in CFB in Ohio State and Clemson.

If Burrow comes through that looking as good as he has...I want him in stripes.

Everyone should have the Oregon/Utah game circled on their calendar. It will be a huge game for Herbert to see what he is capable of against an elite defense. He has been on fire recently and if he can go in and light up a Utah defense, that will be huge.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 07:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I watched him play against Oregon and was very impressed. Moves and throws like Aaron Rodgers. Oh wouldn't that be nice...

This is the problem when people say "Watch the tape."
A majority of people are not going to watch every single game. They are going to watch select clips, select games, etc.
Depending on the clips/games you watch, you're going to walk away with a different opinion than others.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 02:02 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Everyone should have the Oregon/Utah game circled on their calendar. It will be a huge game for Herbert to see what he is capable of against an elite defense. He has been on fire recently and if he can go in and light up a Utah defense, that will be huge.

It's not a lock that Utah plays in that game. 
They are only 0.5 game ahead of USC, and USC beat them so I believe USC has the tiebreaker.
But luckily for Utah, they play the two worst teams in their division to finish the regular season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is the problem when people say "Watch the tape."
A majority of people are not going to watch every single game. They are going to watch select clips, select games, etc.
Depending on the clips/games you watch, you're going to walk away with a different opinion than others.

Yep. I'd prefer whole games so you can see the good and bad but sometimes they're just not available. I did watch that entire game and he was really good. 

Reply/Quote

(11-20-2019, 07:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I watched him play against Oregon and was very impressed. Moves and throws like Aaron Rodgers. Oh wouldn't that be nice...

Issue with Gordon is Mike Leach Air Raid Offense. Air raid QBs always put up huge numbers but it rarely translates to the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote