Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB coach Van Pelt making Dalton practise throwing under pressure
Van Pelt has brought some new drills emphasizing passes under duress. After getting sacked 19 times in 11 starts as a backup for nine NFL seasons, Van Pelt knows getting a clean look for a passer isn't always easy.

Under Alex Van Pelt the Bengals QBs are working on making throws under the gun.

"For a guy like Andy, he should be able to drop five steps, take a hitch, have a clean pocket and complete a pass. That's what's expected of us, right?" Van Pelt said. "You have to train the stuff that's the hardest. The hard plays are the ones I'm trying to train these guys to make."

So maybe Rodgers' behind-the-back-dipsy-doodle-look-the-other-way-Harlem-Globetrotters flings aren't all spur of the moment.  

"Awkward throwing mechanics. Off-platform throws. Moving through the pocket," Van Pelt said of his points of emphasis. "Things you have to disconnect your upper body from your lower body. Unless you work it, it's tough. You try to get used to making the hard plays."

http://m.bengals.com/s/30838/360?itemUri=1341131871/1512111013111041121101169659

I'm all for him trying to improve on this, although it does beg the question of how much he has actually worked on this before.   
Reply/Quote
Mike Tyson is often given credit for saying "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth". And as a parallel situation; Every time a QB calls a play, he has a plan, until the protection breaks down. Just as a fighter must learn to quickly recover, and come up with a new plan on the fly, so must QBs when the protection breaks down.

While I'm sure that Andy must have had to work on what to do when protections break down, over the course of his playing days, it's also nice to read that the new QB coach is making it a point of emphasis.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 10:52 AM)dnkw Wrote: Van Pelt has brought some new drills emphasizing passes under duress. After getting sacked 19 times in 11 starts as a backup for nine NFL seasons, Van Pelt knows getting a clean look for a passer isn't always easy.

I'm all for him trying to improve on this, although it does beg the question of how much he has actually worked on this before.   

And the sense I get is, not enough - nor stressing the specific mechanics with which to deal with it.

So we'll have to see.  Everything is all so easy to talk about.  They love Paul Alexander in Dallas.

Sometimes it's just starting out with new guys.  But I'd unrealistically like to think there is some new coaching techniques being applied.  And if anyone is the model for dealing with unscripted situations and out of pocket experiences it's Rogers.  And if nothing else Van Pelt was around to know the inside story on how Rogers dealt with that situation.   If there was truly intentional techniques that made Rogers better at dealing with that type of thing I'm at least modestly hopeful.

Dalton has been abysmal at that type of thing.    Here's a thing I like:   Van Pelt saying that Dalton is a very underrated QB.   And I have to say, when Dalton looks good, he looks really good.  He has good zip on the ball, can be extremely accurate, throwing the receiver open, and has a totally underrated intermediate to long ball.

I was very excited by the article.   Here's hoping there is true substance to what Pollack and Van Pelt appear to be bringing to this team.
Reply/Quote
Maybe this will lead to less scrambling and throwing out of bounds and possibly lead to extending the play or waiting for something to develop. I hope it DOES NOT make him force throw where they don't belong because that outcome would be devastating.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 10:52 AM)dnkw Wrote: Van Pelt has brought some new drills emphasizing passes under duress. After getting sacked 19 times in 11 starts as a backup for nine NFL seasons, Van Pelt knows getting a clean look for a passer isn't always easy.

"For a guy like Andy, he should be able to drop five steps, take a hitch, have a clean pocket and complete a pass. That's what's expected of us, right?" Van Pelt said. "You have to train the stuff that's the hardest. The hard plays are the ones I'm trying to train these guys to make."

So maybe Rodgers' behind-the-back-dipsy-doodle-look-the-other-way-Harlem-Globetrotters flings aren't all spur of the moment.  

"Awkward throwing mechanics. Off-platform throws. Moving through the pocket," Van Pelt said of his points of emphasis. "Things you have to disconnect your upper body from your lower body. Unless you work it, it's tough. You try to get used to making the hard plays."

http://m.bengals.com/s/30838/360?itemUri=1341131871/1512111013111041121101169659

Not related to this thread at all, but every time I see you post, I read your name as DKNY. I then proceed to sing, "DKNY all up in my eye".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I find it hard to believe Dalton didn't get enough practice throwing whilst under pressure during these past few seasons.
Reply/Quote

Smart, i like it. I have always said my biggest complaint with Dalton is he panics too much. Van Pelt should really
help him out getting him used to when it gets rough and plays break down. Rodgers never panics it seems.

Good question if Zampese ever did this. Does beg that question you are correct Dnkw. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 01:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not related to this thread at all, but every time I see you post, I read your name as DKNY. I then proceed to sing, "DKNY all up in my eye".

Hah! Love it.   Wink

(06-08-2018, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Smart, i like it. I have always said my biggest complaint with Dalton is he panics too much. Van Pelt should really
help him out getting him used to when it gets rough and plays break down. Rodgers never panics it seems.

Good question if Zampese ever did this. Does beg that question you are correct Dnkw. :andy:

Cheers, Nate. He certainly never looks a natural when having to 'dance', if you will.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 01:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not related to this thread at all, but every time I see you post, I read your name as DKNY. I then proceed to sing, "DKNY all up in my eye".

It just reminds me of the purses I had to buy my wife for $300 or more, yet I get the look spending $50 on a dozen golf balls....... Cry
Reply/Quote
couple years back Dalton was one of the best in the league throwing against the pressure (I believe).... Of course that extra half second can go a long way.
Reply/Quote
Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs in the history of the game. Van Pelt does not deserve all the credit for what he accomplishes.

But anything to help a QB perform better under pressure is good. To me it seems like the most important part of dealing with pressure is mental. Knowing when to stay in the pocket and when to give up and scramble. Being able to concentrate on the receivers and defenders downfield instead of the guys in your face. Knowing when to force a pass and when to throw it away. But Van Pelt seems to be talking also about mechanics and techniques for throwing on the run.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 05:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs in the history of the game.  Van Pelt does not deserve all the credit for what he accomplishes.

But anything to help a QB perform better under pressure is good.  To me it seems like the most important part of dealing with pressure is mental.  Knowing when to stay in the pocket and when to give up and scramble.  Being able to concentrate on the receivers and defenders downfield instead of the guys in your face.  Knowing when to force a pass and when to throw it away.  But Van Pelt seems to be talking also about mechanics and techniques for throwing on the run.

We all know Rodgers is great, maybe the greatest.

I agree that Van Pelt shouldn't get as much credit for him. But he has coached Josh Freeman in his only good year
and another guy who i cannot remember in his best year. Good coaches coach up poor players, Dalton as you and I
know is not a poor player. I think Van Pelt will do a much better job here than your guy Zampese did with Dalton.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 02:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I find it hard to believe Dalton didn't get enough practice throwing whilst under pressure during these past few seasons.

True enough. But the practice didn't help him throw under pressure any better. LOL 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

Hue did.  Hue had a lot of "when things break down" moments for Dalton, but I think Andy became reliant on rolling to his right and teams attacked and defended him accordingly.  To be fair to Dalton, Bodine was so often back in his lap that he couldn't "climb the pocket" very well, which is a key maneuver for any QB.  When you step up you see the entire field, and with the threat of rushing the ball the opposing LB has to make a decision to prevent the QB from rushing for a first down or stay with his assignment. 

Dalton has pretty good legs, and I think the dude is fearless.  I hope to see Dalton climb the pocket and Price tossing aside a would-be tackler.  

It is a nice article, though, and good to see they are making a priority out of it.  
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 03:04 AM)Shady Wrote: True enough. But the practice didn't help him throw under pressure any better. LOL 

I put as much of the fault at our OC and WR coach.  The so-called scrambling drill is something piggy and the steelers execute to perfection.  If anything, they ramp up their efforts, while a lot of our guys just stop.  You could really notice this at games.  Even Chad Johnson, who I love, would do this and it would piss me off.  Piggy would have specific spots he knew his guys would break for in a scramble drill and he would have options.  He hit two TDs against Jax in the playoffs on plays that would have been Dalton throwing it out of bounds for the Bengals.  

It is a point that needs to be emphasized.  The steelers look at it as an opportunity for a big play, the Bengals look at it as a loss of down and, hopefully, not a turnover. 
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 04:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It just reminds me of the purses I had to buy my wife for $300 or more, yet I get the look spending $50 on a dozen golf balls....... Cry

And then have to put your balls in her purse. Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 05:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs in the history of the game.  Van Pelt does not deserve all the credit for what he accomplishes.

But anything to help a QB perform better under pressure is good.  To me it seems like the most important part of dealing with pressure is mental.  Knowing when to stay in the pocket and when to give up and scramble.  Being able to concentrate on the receivers and defenders downfield instead of the guys in your face.  Knowing when to force a pass and when to throw it away.  But Van Pelt seems to be talking also about mechanics and techniques for throwing on the run.

I agree 100% fred.....as to the bolded.....Bodine was a huge problem, in my humble opinion.  At least when the rest of the line was good, Dalton had options to his left or right....once that went away, he regressed to old habits he seemed to have broken while Hue was here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 11:15 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I agree 100% fred.....as to the bolded.....Bodine was a huge problem, in my humble opinion.  At least when the rest of the line was good, Dalton had options to his left or right....once that went away, he regressed to old habits he seemed to have broken while Hue was here.

Not to mention the OL went to shit fast. Losing both Whit and Zeitler the same season did not give AD any time to adjust to a declining line. It went from Decent to “WTF” over night.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 11:21 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not to mention the OL went to shit fast. Losing both Whit and Zeitler the same season did not give AD any time to adjust to a declining line. It went from Decent to “WTF” over night.

Absolutely.....it's like someone flipped a switch......to "off". Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I forget who that other bad QB besides Freeman was that Van Pelt coached to his best season.

But there were two of them, i really think this is where Van Pelt can hang his hat on other QB's besides
Rodgers, but the anger Rodgers had when losing him says something.

Also says something about Dalton with all the praise Van Pelt is throwing his way.
Reply/Quote