Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB coach Van Pelt making Dalton practise throwing under pressure
hopefully it teaches him not to throw the ball out of bounds when there is pressure, especially on 4th down .
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 05:46 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: hopefully it teaches him not to throw the ball out of bounds when there is pressure, especially on 4th down .

And to keep the ball in bounds when pressure is coming and he launches it deep 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 05:46 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: hopefully it teaches him not to throw the ball out of bounds when there is pressure, especially on 4th down .

(06-09-2018, 09:55 PM)Sweetness Wrote: And to keep the ball in bounds when pressure is coming and he launches it deep 

Y'all act like it's an easy thing to accomplish.  Is there any wonder that QB is the highest paid position in pro football?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 09:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Y'all act like it's an easy thing to accomplish.  Is there any wonder that QB is the highest paid position in pro football?

You act like it's farfetched to think one of the top 20 QBs in the world should be able to keep a ball inbounds. I see scrubs in high school and college do it all the time. I saw Dalton do it really well at times. Last year was embarrassingly pitiful. If you think it's too much to want him to keep the ball in bounds I'm not sure what kind of QB play you want. 
Reply/Quote
I love this because we're using the offseason to fine-tune things that our past coaches either didn't do or weren't good at doing it. It's like that with Pollack on the line coaching the guys to come out and kick ass, with Bob Bicknell energizing the receivers and making them excited to play (it sounds like), and Austin's aggressive style.

It's like our coaches are coaching the guys and molding them to play real football.

It has me excited.........
Reply/Quote
Hopefully they'll also teach Dalton how to look defenders off and pump fake to move/shift defenders before throws vs locking on. Techniques that Dalton rarely if ever utilized.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 11:21 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not to mention the OL went to shit fast. Losing both Whit and Zeitler the same season did not give AD any time to adjust to a declining line. It went from Decent to “WTF” over night.

The O line sucked the last year that Whitworth and Zeitler were here too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Hopefully while this is going on our receivers are also being coached up on staying aware of the situation behind the OL and breaking back towards the line if the play breaks down (notice the Green Bay receivers are coached to do that which helps them get open for Rodgers).
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 11:21 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not to mention the OL went to shit fast. Losing both Whit and Zeitler the same season did not give AD any time to adjust to a declining line. It went from Decent to “WTF” over night.

Agreed.  When combined with Zampese's completely stationary Dalton, it was a perfect storm.  One of the first things you saw with Lazor was giving Dalton some bootlegs to get him out of the pocket and better field vision.  It worked, even with the pathetic line.  It wasn't playoff caliber, but it was an improvement.  

This is why I find myself in that same optimistic place even after such a disasterous start last year.  With Lazor's scheme and a full offseason to implement it, and the dramatic improvements in terms of talent on the line, I am very optimistic about the offense.  I have always believed in Dalton, and I like some of the young weapons, but the line improvement gives me great hope for the offense to be a real strength.

My biggest worry is the LB corps for the first four games of the season.  If I am the opposing OC, I simply go maximum protection and wait, wait, wait, check it down to a RB that a LB was stuck trying to cover.  High %, effective, low risk, and I have seen it time and time again.  

Here's to Austin coming up with better pressure packages and guys like Vigil and Evans being able to stick with guys out of the backfield.  
Reply/Quote
Lazor will have this offense clicking this season. Can’t wait for the season to begin.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 10:52 AM)dnkw Wrote: Van Pelt has brought some new drills emphasizing passes under duress. After getting sacked 19 times in 11 starts as a backup for nine NFL seasons, Van Pelt knows getting a clean look for a passer isn't always easy.

Under Alex Van Pelt the Bengals QBs are working on making throws under the gun.

"For a guy like Andy, he should be able to drop five steps, take a hitch, have a clean pocket and complete a pass. That's what's expected of us, right?" Van Pelt said. "You have to train the stuff that's the hardest. The hard plays are the ones I'm trying to train these guys to make."

So maybe Rodgers' behind-the-back-dipsy-doodle-look-the-other-way-Harlem-Globetrotters flings aren't all spur of the moment.  

"Awkward throwing mechanics. Off-platform throws. Moving through the pocket," Van Pelt said of his points of emphasis. "Things you have to disconnect your upper body from your lower body. Unless you work it, it's tough. You try to get used to making the hard plays."

http://m.bengals.com/s/30838/360?itemUri=1341131871/1512111013111041121101169659

I'm all for him trying to improve on this, although it does beg the question of how much he has actually worked on this before.   
Reply/Quote
Dalton is an experienced pro and for the last two seasons has been throwing under duress...these kinds of drills mean nothing
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 12:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Maybe this will lead to less scrambling and throwing out of bounds and possibly lead to extending the play or waiting for something to develop. I hope it DOES NOT make him force throw where they don't belong because that outcome would be devastating.

Tom Brady would have looked as bad as Dalton..if not worse, working behind the offensive line we had the past two years
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2018, 12:36 PM)cooper Wrote: Tom Brady would have looked as bad as Dalton..if not worse, working behind the offensive line we had the past two years

I agree. Maybe not as bad, but definitely would have struggled big time. I think Brady handles pressure just a tad better, but they equally would have had terrible times.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2018, 02:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. Maybe not as bad, but definitely would have struggled big time. I think Brady handles pressure just a tad better, but they equally would have had terrible times.

Brady is very adept at climbing the pocket, but in fairness to Dalton, Brady's guys seem to get away with a bit of holding...

He also rarely has pressure in his face.  When he has, he struggles.  
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2018, 06:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Brady is very adept at climbing the pocket, but in fairness to Dalton, Brady's guys seem to get away with a bit of holding...

He also rarely has pressure in his face.  When he has, he struggles.  

Yeah, I think so too. I’ve noticed Brady to give up on a few plays in the past as well. Not often, but has happened. Seems more apparent with Dalton though just because I watch all our games.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 10:40 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: And then have to put your balls in her purse. Hilarious
Excellent!
(06-09-2018, 11:55 PM)John Shaft Wrote: Hopefully they'll also teach Dalton how to look defenders off and pump fake to move/shift defenders before throws vs locking on. Techniques that Dalton rarely if ever utilized.
Have been trying to figure that one out myself for a few seasons.  If everybody is on the same page - wouldn't you know when and where everybody is? 
Reply/Quote
Dalton had a good pumpfake under Gruden. He rarely uses it anymore.

I hope he teaches Dalton how to get defenses to jump offsides. I don't know who gets the credit for it but AR was one of the best at it. While he's at it teach him how to make them pay for it. Like he saw done so brilliantly for all those years. No more taking a lame knee on a free play. That's got to be on one of the two QBC/OC. Who ever it's on we haven't had a good response to a jump offsides for as long as I can remember.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Don’t get why the average Bengals fan WANTS Dalton to fail.

You can’t go to anything Bengals without some anti-Andy propaganda lol.

He could win the super bowl and would still have ‘Terribad deep accuracy” and “crumbles under pressure in prime time games”.

Really grinds my gears!!
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2018, 08:52 PM)jj22 Wrote:  While he's at it teach him how to make them pay for it. Like he saw done so brilliantly for all those years. No more taking a lame knee on a free play. That's got to be on one of the two QBC/OC. Who ever it's on we haven't had a good response to a jump offsides for as long as I can remember.

Unless you already have a deep route called it is impossible to change the play.  WR's rarely know if a guy has jumped off sides to adjust their route.  And if you have a run called the O-linemen will not know the call ahs changed.

It is almost impossible to take a deep shot downfield everytime the defense jumps offsides because everyone on the team would have to know exactly what was going on.
Reply/Quote