Poll: Who do you pick as your QB next week?
This poll is closed.
Brandon Allen as the best chance to win
43.48%
10 43.48%
Ryan Finley as the best chance to win
17.39%
4 17.39%
Brandon Allen as the best chance to lose
4.35%
1 4.35%
Ryan Finley as the best chance to lose
34.78%
8 34.78%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB v Texans
(12-22-2020, 06:01 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Gotta give Finley another shot. Yeah he didn't light them up, but he made enough plays to keep the lead and you have the team feeling good about themselves. I feel like switching back to BA would send negative vibes to the team.

No you don’t. You think he’s going to go out there and be the second coming of Lamar? He’s horrid.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 08:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No you don’t. You think he’s going to go out there and be the second coming of Lamar?  He’s horrid.

Let me preface by saying, the defense are the heroes of last night

That being said, He also won the damn game. Its not like we are arguing Finley vs Burrow here. Just last week everyone was calling Allen trash. Why replace the trash that won with the one that didn't. I don't care about his stats, I care that he didn't make a mistake, and made enough plays to put us in position to score 27 points. There is essentially no reason go back to Allen and I was all for Allen getting the nod to begin with. Reward the man for managing the game and getting us our best win since 2015. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 08:42 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Let me preface by saying, the defense are the heroes of last night

That being said, He also won the damn game. Its not like we are arguing Finley vs Burrow here. Just last week everyone was calling Allen trash. Why replace the trash that won with the one that didn't. I don't care about his stats, I care that he didn't make a mistake, and made enough plays to put us in position to score 27 points. There is essentially no reason go back to Allen and I was all for Allen getting the nod to begin with. Reward the man for managing the game and getting us our best win 

I didn’t call Allen trash. He’s not great but he’s a lot better than Finley. Finley’s had five or six starts and he hasn’t been good in any of them.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 08:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I didn’t call Allen trash. He’s not great but he’s a lot better than Finley. Finley’s had five or six starts and he hasn’t been good in any of them.

He's had 4 starts. He is 1-3. Brandon Allen has had 6 starts in his career and he is 1-5....sooo technically Finley has a better win %, so there is that. They both are bad. Like I said, we aren't discussing backup vs starter. We are discussing two guys that are likely PS players on other teams. Go with the one who made enough plays to keep us in the game and get TDs. Its really quite simple. Keep the momentum going, and if it fails, we are no worse off than we were. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 06:15 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Even in winning last night, Finley looked terrible. The weird smiling is cool and all, but the guys just not an NFL QB.

Yep. BA was #2 for a reason. Thanks for beating the Steelers Ryan, but you need to head back to the bench in case of injury again. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:35 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That's tough to root for them to lose. Sewell may not even be there when we pick? I didnt vote in the poll but I'm going to after this response explaining my vote. I say start Allen simply because he deserves it. That dude has Kitna heart. It's tough to say he deserves it over Finley when Finley got us our first victory over the Steelers in 5yrs, but my heart leans on starting Allen with a super big thank you to Finley for a wonderful exciting night last night. 

I'll say this for the backups; they've both played with heart.  Allen playing through the pain last week, Finley running into the fray play after play last night, and that one play where he got lit up and then going right back.  I don't know about playing to win or lose.  I don't know it'll make a difference.  I think Allen gives them maybe a little better shot at winning, but it's hard to say.  In my mind, losing has never about Sewell, it's been about running ZT the hell out of town.  I'm really curious to see what happens on Sunday.  There's nothing that's sold me on the guy after one win.  
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:23 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: The way Allen was playing in his last game before the injury was very impressive.I think he gives us the best chance to win, which is why I want Finley to start. It has nothing to do with wanting Zac and crew to lose their jobs. It's all about Sewell.

Sewell would be the jewel in the draft crown but the knock on effect goes beyond the first round as losing would have us picking a handful of spots higher in each round. Remember when in 2019 they tried to trade up to take an O-Lineman near the top of the 2nd but couldn't find a trade partner? We were picking 10th in that round. Picking 3rd would have given us the choice of Ja'waan Taylor, Cody Ford, Dalton Risner and Greg Little. Instead we missed out on strengthening the O-line.

Picking 3rd in every round draft capital 3193.4

Picking 7th in every round draft capital 2411.2
https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=cin

That difference is the equivalent of the 22nd overall pick. Even 2nd round downwards is the equivalent of an additional 4th round pick.

(12-22-2020, 08:55 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'll say this for the backups; they've both played with heart.  Allen playing through the pain last week, Finley running into the fray play after play last night, and that one play where he got lit up and then going right back.  I don't know about playing to win or lose.  I don't know it'll make a difference.  I think Allen gives them maybe a little better shot at winning, but it's hard to say.  In my mind, losing has never about Sewell, it's been about running ZT the hell out of town.  I'm really curious to see what happens on Sunday.  There's nothing that's sold me on the guy after one win.  

Yes, they both played with heart. I think it comes down to the locker room. Does the locker room feel Finley deserves it or do they think Allen deserves it? I don't mind alienating either QB but I wouldn't want to lose the locker room.
Reply/Quote
I feel like it has to be Finley.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 08:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks don't like to be wrong. Finley beat a team  that we haven't beat since 2015. He had a higher passer rating against them than any Bengal QB since 2014. But some have deemed him "not an NFL QB" and they cannot change their opinion now.

Allen has led a team that has scored 4 more points in 3 starts than Finley did in one. We roll with Finley.

is Finley the next Tebow?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 10:14 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: is Finley the next Tebow?

The team just beat their most hated rival on National TV on Monday Night Football. They have to still be riding a high. I don't think you do anything to mess with that right now. Start Finley, and if he struggles, then go to BA. Pretty simple really.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 05:55 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Start Zac at QB and see if he does anything in FA to fix the line.  Ninja

LMAO  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 10:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The team just beat their most hated rival on National TV on Monday Night Football. They have to still be riding a high. I don't think you do anything to mess with that right now. Start Finley, and if he struggles, then go to BA. Pretty simple really.

And that would make Taylor look as stupid as he did last year with his QB carousel. Guys have a number for a reason. Taylor thought BA gave him the best chance to win before he got hurt. Finley made a couple nice runs and throws. Any QB on a current NFL roster could have scored on the big run. Taylor basically called a run to Gio and told him, if the DE crashes keep it and it ended up being wide open. It wasn't like Finley went out there and lit Pitt up. He left a bunch of plays on the field. 

Not saying Taylor won't keep Finley in and look stupid...just that it will make him look stupid. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 06:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You start whichever quarterback runs the best; the Bengals are NOT winning through the air.

Last night Cincinnati ran 41 running plays and only threw the ball 13 times. This resulted in 27 points.

Only due to turnovers and field position. They don’t get the turnovers Bengals score maybe 10 points.
Reply/Quote
Has to be Brandon Allen as he gives us the best chance to win.

Allen is clearly the superior QB.  I think anyone who has seen both Allen and Finley play this year can agree on this.  Frankly, it's not even close.

Did we beat the Steelers, and was it a nice win?  Yes, and yes.  But we beat them because of defense, specifically turnovers and field position.  It's not like Finley went out and lead us to unforseen levels of production in the pass game.  He threw for 89 yards.

Look, I'm not trying to diminish Finley stepping up and managing (not losing) the game.  He should be applauded for coming in and doing what he was asked.  But this isn't a Wally Pipp situation.  He didn't do anything Allen couldn't have done.

As far as wanting or trying to lose, that's not going to happen.  Would it be nice to lose out and secure a certain pick?  Yeah.  But this team needs wins.  The coaching staff needs wins.  And most importantly, the players needs wins.  All of these guys need to see as much success as the possibly can.

When you're coming off a 2-14 season, and then you start out the following season 2-10-1, you don't have the luxury to not do everything in your power to win more ball games.  There's guys playing for contracts and bonuses, coaches coaching for their current jobs and resumes, and a franchise that needs goodwill to sell fans on the future.

This team badly needs things to end well this year.  Brandon Allen gives you the best chance at that happening.
Reply/Quote
I think Allen is a better QB, but really dont think it matters at this point. If we are going to win its probably not going to be because of QB play. It will be defense and running. If the defense can come out as fired up as they did Monday night, and we can run the ball, then we can make it a game and possibly win. I dont care of you have a team of no-names. If you can run and stop the run you can be in games. Imo, thats the winning formula these last couple games.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 08:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks don't like to be wrong. Finley beat a team that we haven't beat since 2015. He had a higher passer rating against them than any Bengal QB since 2014. But some have deemed him "not an NFL QB" and they cannot change their opinion now.

Allen has led a team that has scored 4 more points in 3 starts than Finley did in one. We roll with Finley.

He completed 7 passes all game...

Brandon Allen can do that on one drive.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 01:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He completed 7 passes all game...

With Finley is forces ZT to run the ball, which is really the only way we win anymore games (run and defense). If he think BA can throw then he will have him throw a bunch because ZT sucks. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 01:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He completed 7 passes all game...

And Brandon scored 1 touchdown in each of his last 2 games. Finley can do that in one play. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 01:07 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I think Allen is a better QB, but really dont think it matters at this point. If we are going to win its probably not going to be because of QB play. It will be defense and running. If the defense can come out as fired up as they did Monday night, and we can run the ball, then we can make it a game and possibly win. I dont care of you have a team of no-names. If you can run and stop the run you can be in games. Imo, thats the winning formula these last couple games.

It will be because of defense, running and not turning over the ball.

Allen seems the more aggressive of the two and therefore the more prone to throwing interceptions (Finley however may be more prone to sack-fumbling).
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 03:12 PM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: It will be because of defense, running and not turning over the ball.

Allen seems the more aggressive of the two and therefore the more prone to throwing interceptions (Finley however may be more prone to sack-fumbling).

There’s no doubt Finley will get sacked more.

Reply/Quote