Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qb situation, sorry dalton die hards
QB is a funny position Dak. Romo, Brady, Cousins, Keenum (jury is still out). All I know is Driskel looked decent against a decent Defense in Browns with no AJ Green. it wasn't garbage time especially when we cut it to 15. if it's so easy in garbage time anyway why did Andy struggle against Saints?
Reply/Quote
On any given Sunday only 32 people on a planet of over 7billion are considered qualified to play quarterback in the nfl. 2 of those people this Sunday will be Colt McCoy and Josh McCown. Think about that. Do you think anyone on those teams like that? Do you think they want better? Of course they do but apparently that’s the best they’re going to get right now.

Like dalton or not most of us can agree he’s at least 10-15th best option to put on the field of those 32 guys.

So who exactly do you propose takes the place of the 16th most qualified qb on the planet? Even after macaroni was mediocre here people wanted him to take over and he couldn’t even cut it in Buffalo and dose anyone even know or care who theyer putting shoulder pads on this weekend and shoving under center?

As the OP mentioned I’m going to argue this team has bigger issues to address as in the scheme of things we’re lucky to have what we do in dalton. I’m not arguing he’s great but he is under appriciated.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Palmer wasn't just a QB we grabbed for the hell of it, we had the #1 overall pick and used it.  We could have traded down and taken Leftwich, Boller, or Grossman if we just wanted a QB for the sake of changing things up.  Teams like the Giants who desperately need to take a QB and who are quite bad this year don't even know who will be at the top of the draft next season.

The odds of us finding an instant starter of a QB any time soon are slim.

In an ideal situation we find the next Mahomes around #10 while the Giants grab a Tribisky in the top 5.

Easier said than done though, I know.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 01:02 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: QB is a funny position Dak. Romo, Brady, Cousins, Keenum (jury is still out). All I know is Driskel looked decent against a decent Defense in Browns with no AJ Green. it wasn't garbage time especially when we cut it to 15. if it's so easy in garbage time anyway why did Andy struggle against Saints?

And the Chiefs.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Palmer wasn't just a QB we grabbed for the hell of it, we had the #1 overall pick and used it.  We could have traded down and taken Leftwich, Boller, or Grossman if we just wanted a QB for the sake of changing things up.  Teams like the Giants who desperately need to take a QB and who are quite bad this year don't even know who will be at the top of the draft next season.

As always, we have bad luck,I remember it was going to be either Marvin or Tom Coughlin, sure enough. Tom at least got the Giants, not 1 but 2 SuperBowls...on top of that, against the worshiped Patriots, and the sweeter, 18-0 Patriots. Oh well.
Reply/Quote
For those who don't think having a great qb matters put Mahomes on any team in the NFL. the worst teams like the bills and cardinals are fringe playoff teams at minimum. Driskell might be the answer. Marvin isn't the best evaluator at the position. So we will see if he's good replace Dalton if he is mediocre or worse keep Dalton. It's not that hard of a decision.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 01:11 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: As always, we have bad luck,I remember it was going to be either Marvin or Tom Coughlin, sure enough. Tom at least got the Giants, not 1 but 2 SuperBowls...on top of that, against the worshiped Patriots, and the sweeter, 18-0 Patriots. Oh well.

That wasn't bad luck.  Cowher or Shula and Coughlin or Marvin came down to which guy was going to be more ok with Mike Brown being a crapola owner.  
Reply/Quote
Our defense has given up 19 more 3rd conversion then the 2nd worst team in the NFL against third downs. How does the QB position effect that?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 01:25 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Our defense has given up 19 more 3rd conversion then the 2nd worst team in the NFL against third downs. How does the QB position effect that?

I find it funny that those that are longing for a new QB don't realize that they're thinking exactly like how Mike Brown thinks. Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 01:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I find it funny that those that are longing for a new QB don't realize that they're thinking exactly like how Mike Brown thinks. Smirk

Huh? Mike Brown has had 2 QB’s in 16 years. And I guarantee he doesn’t take one this year either.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 01:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Huh? Mike Brown has had 2 QB’s in 16 years. And I guarantee he doesn’t take one this year either.

That's what I was thinking.  Mike Brown certainly doesn't seem like the "change for the sake of change and hope for the best" type.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 01:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Huh? Mike Brown has had 2 QB’s in 16 years. And I guarantee he doesn’t take one this year either.

I'm talking about the nonsense of going for the simple "fix". That changing one position is going to fix things. And/or thinking that finding an elite QB is easier than building a quality offense around the QB. 

It's the same thinking that led to Brown re-hiring Merv this past offseason.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Get rid of the entire coaching staff. Put in a winning cutthroat staff for once.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 02:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm talking about the nonsense of going for the simple "fix". That changing one position is going to fix things. And/or thinking that finding an elite QB is easier than building a quality offense around the QB. 

It's the same thinking that led to Brown re-hiring Merv this past offseason.

No, he re-hires Marvin cause it’s easy and he’s comfortable with him. He’s not trying to, or caring about fixing anything when he does that.

And I don’t think I , or anyone else has suggested taking a QB as our only pick in the draft. Obviously we need other things as well like OL, LB, TE, etc.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's funny because the 2 franchise QBs we had before Dalton legitimately tried to force Mike Brown to give more of a crap about football.

They did, and that's just sad.

(11-27-2018, 12:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve had a lot of success with an average (sometimes slightly above average) QB like Andy, maybe if we find an even better QB it’ll be enough to get us over the hump. Who knows. Super Bowl seems unthinkable, let’s worry about winning a single playoff game first. Lol

True that....lol.  The problem I have is that we had a guy with a cannon and the prototype of NFL pocket passer QB.  We choked with him too.  I believe with all of my heart that the team is outcoached and outclassed against the upper echelon of the league.  When we have had, essentially, 3 personnel reboots and the results are the same......I tend to look past the players.  Zim won a bunch with Kase Keenum.  I don't think that would ever happen here, and I'm not sure I would consider Zim an elite HC either.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Very good.

Maybe we can find someone even better than Palmer, though? I don’t understand the hesitation to even try at this point. We’re going to miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight season, and we can’t change owners or make him hire a good coach. Upgrading at QB is something we can realistically do. If we miss on the pick, so be it.

I think we're getting confused here......I'm ready to blow it all up.....I just don't put the team's faults on the QB like some seem to do. Not saying you do, but it appears some do.

Reply/Quote
Anyone who thinks a QB change is all we need is being dense. Point blank.

I understand wanting a new guy under center. I'm ready myself. What I don't understand:

1. Blaming prime time on Andy, when Marv has sucked in this category for 16 years.
2. Blaming Steelers losses on Andy, when Carson was 4-8 against them. It's. A. Marv. Problem.
3. Blaming playoff losses on Marv, when Marv is 0-3 without Andy, and we have a 28 year playoff drought that started when Andy was a toddler.
4. Thinking a new QB will overcome the Mike/Marv circus when no other QB has in 30 years.

People who focus only on QB make me question either (a) whether or not they've paid attention to this team or (b) their intelligence level. Sorry, it's just all pretty obvious. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

That's a solid point too.  This class isn't very exciting.  As I mentioned, I like the kid out of Duke, but his arm leaves questions.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 02:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No, he re-hires Marvin cause it’s easy and he’s comfortable with him. He’s not trying to, or caring about fixing anything when he does that.

And I don’t think I , or anyone else has suggested taking a QB as our only pick in the draft. Obviously we need other things as well like OL, LB, TE, etc.

Back during the days of the abyss.....Mike Brown absolutely seemed to think only investing in a QB would cure all that ailed the team.  He never invested in FAs (much worse than now), didn't value the oline, but brought in QB after QB after he essentially caused Boomer Esiason to want to leave.  He finally found a decent QB in Jeff Blake by chance, then kicked him down the road when he refused the entire New Orleans Saints' draft and took Akili Smith.  Hell, he could have taken the picks and STILL got Smith!  It was carousel around here until Palmer.

Klingler
Schroeder
Blake
ODonnell
Boomer again for 5 games
Smith
Scott Mitchell
Frerrotte
Kitna
Palmer
Dalton

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 10:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: Personally, I don't see anyone I really like in this draft. Maybe the kid out of Duke. There are some lookers over the next couple of seasons though, that is for sure.

I know it's off subject, but I was recently watching film on a couple of smaller named quarterbacks.

I got to the film on a guy from Princeton University named John Lovett. 6-2 230, looks like he runs about in the 4.6-4.7 range and built like a rock.

He definitely looked like a guy you draft in the 7th round and take a chance to see how he develops over an NFL training camp and preseason.

However, I kept seeing this guy, number 4, in all this film that was catching everything.

Jasper Horsted, is his name. 6'3 to 6'4 range in height, looked to me to run in the 4.4 to 4.5 range. Looked like he weighed about 230.

He literally caught everything thrown in a 5 foot radius of him, he showed great strength when running and breaking tackles.

This guy looked like he should of been playing at Alabama.

I had to look him up. He's never even trained for a full training camp. That's because he's a two star athlete and will probably get drafted into the MLB. I even watched tape of him playing basketball and dominating.

He didn't want to go somewhere that education wasn't a priority and went because to Princeton because they offered to let him play as many different sports as he could as long as he was good at them.

If this kid was to devote himself to football he could be a star. I'd love to see us draft him. He's the All-American kid.

I fully expect teams to get ahold of his tape and someone will take a chance on him.

The last time I was this blown away by a smaller school player was Jimmy Garoppolo, when I said on the old Bengals forum, that we should trade Dalton and draft him.

Sorry, for going off into left field. Lol
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote