Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quarterbacks in their first playoff start
(01-17-2022, 03:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just a little look at how some recent QBs did in their very first playoff appearance, over the last decade-ish.

[Image: qb-playoffs.png]

how many won the game?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 06:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What’s sad are those AD numbers up there! LOL Tongue

Anyway, any thoughts on the actual thread, Vinyl?

Keep deflecting, but unlike you, I'll answer the question.

I don't need see semi-comparison stats to verify that I watched Joe Burrow play great the other day. 

It's not even really a level comparison of QBs with only 1 game against different opponents in different arenas at different times in their careers with different levels of team mates. How many of those QBs could "Just say F#&% it, throw it up there, he's down there somewhere"? But, if you need shit like this to feel better about yourself, knock yourself out.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 06:38 PM)pally Wrote: how many won the game?

I thought about that after posting so i'll probably go back tonight and update it, just for shitz and giggz.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 06:41 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Keep deflecting, but unlike you, I'll answer the question.

I don't need see semi-comparison stats to verify that I watched Joe Burrow play great the other day. 

It's not even really a level comparison of QBs with only 1 game against different opponents in different arenas at different times in their careers with different levels of team mates. How many of those QBs could "Just say F#&% it, throw it up there, he's down there somewhere"? But, if you need shit like this to feel better about yourself, knock yourself out.

He may not have said it (even in jest like Burrow did) but we all know that was a Dalton staple with Green.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 06:41 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Keep deflecting, but unlike you, I'll answer the question.

Or maybe it's just a way to prop Burrow up and show that he belongs with some of those names, guys that have turned out to be pretty damn good QBs, playing in the first playoff game in his career. That's a pretty big deal. 

It is a little telling though, how you came in to defend Dalton (when it wasn't really necessary) yet didn't bother to talk about how well your current QB is playing on your current team. 

You said something earlier about "rising above it". That's a two way street.

But back to the point of the thread. Bengals team and fans are very fortunate right now that Burrow is the QB of their team. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
lol. I knew i should have went with my gut and not added a certain, former Bengals QB. Probably wouldn't have mattered. Someone would have likely posted it. 

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 07:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: lol. I knew i should have went with my gut and not added a certain, former Bengals QB. Probably wouldn't have mattered. Someone would have likely posted it. 

That’s my bad, rfaulk. It was a good idea for a thread though.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 06:41 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Keep deflecting, but unlike you, I'll answer the question.

Somebody’s got a case of the Mondays.

It’s not that big of a deal and you’re looking too much into it. The Bengals just won their first playoff game in 31 years, and a good amount of us now feel comfortable enough to laugh at our former failures. This isn’t something that we had the luxury of doing until very recently. You’re taking this too personally.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I love Andy Dalton. He did a lot of great things in the city and was probably the third-best QB in franchise history at the time he departed.

That's all that needs to be said about Andy Dalton in this thread. Joe Burrow sure did have himself a strong first playoff game, didn't he? That seam throw to CJ Uzomah reminded me of Aaron Rodgers carving up the Falcons in 2010 on his Super Bowl run. This is a self-serving comparison, and I don't apologize.
Reply/Quote
I did not come in to defend Dalton. I asked a question that has still not been answered.

"How would a Bengals fan find that funny?"

Apparently that's now "swooping in guns blazing over even the slightest thing"

2) You made a comment recently about always being attacked for posting "anything remotely negative about Dalton". About half of my posts are outside of this forum and if every single one of the 850 or so posts that I've posted in here were posts defending Dalton, well then, I'm feeling better now knowing that there has only been about one single post per day that was anything remotely negative about him.  Who knew there was so few? But luckily I was there to swoop in to respond to every one of them, because that's what I do.

3) I'm way past beginning to think that maybe QB play isn't the only thing that you two over dramatize.

4) Two Bengal QBS won their first playoff start. Maybe compare those stats and then you'll see a LOL.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Lol. Dalton sucks fellas. Sorry. He is an average middle of the road QB who is never going to win a playoff game. Something Burrow has done on his first healthy attempt at a season.

I am not one to look at stats for the most part. I feel as though you can twist stats to suit your argument. For me its the eye test 85% with stats filling in the 15%. Dalton simply never passed the eye test. Maybe he would for a few games but that was it. I think Carr is a very good comparison QB to Dalton in that he is a good QB that can get it done or you. He just can't get it done when it matters and never will. So while he is a 16/32 range QB he will never ever take you to the next level. I view that as someone holding you back. In fact I will post a thread soon about someone I think is holding a team in our division back on. (It is NOT Baker) Lmao.

For the eye test purpose Burrow certainly passes. This game I felt as though he was a bit hand cuffed at times by the play calling. But he still makes the checks at the line and swaps into a good play. He knows where the open WR/TE is and knows how each one of them likes the ball thrown to them. That is key. Look where he puts the ball for each guy. It is different. He knows what they like and gives it to them. He has it all and will win us many more playoff games to come.

I look forward to it as should we all!

WHO DEY!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 08:22 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I did not come in to defend Dalton. I asked a question that has still not been answered.

"How would a Bengals fan find that funny?"

Apparently that's now "swooping in guns blazing over even the slightest thing"

2) You made a comment recently about always being attacked for posting "anything remotely negative about Dalton". About half of my posts are outside of this forum and if every single one of the 850 or so posts that I've posted in here were posts defending Dalton, well then, I'm feeling better now knowing that there has only been about one single post per day that was anything remotely negative about him.  Who knew there was so few? But luckily I was there to swoop in to respond to every one of them, because that's what I do.

3) I'm way past beginning to think that maybe QB play isn't the only thing that you two over dramatize.

4) Two Bengal QBS won their first playoff start. Maybe compare those stats and then you'll see a LOL.

My preference would be that we could all look at those numbers and feel very confident that the Bengals have a QB that can lead them to many playoff wins. Nothing more than that, nothing less.

Reply/Quote
Kyler’s numbers are going to be fugly…

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 08:22 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: "How would a Bengals fan find that funny?"

I'm not trying to speak for anyone else, but I would like to address this general sentiment. I apologize for hijacking the thread, but this kind of thing is significant to me. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to attack you or your perspective, Vinyl. Just sharing my own perspective.

I have routinely poked fun at and mocked some of the Bengals failures & futility over the last 30 years, not because I'm disaffected by it. Certainly not because I don't care about this team. My eyes still aren't 100% comfortable after tearing up following Saturday's victory and watching numerous celebration videos over the last 2 days.

No, I find that kind of thing funny because I have to. It's been a coping mechanism. A means of retaining my sanity. There was a time that I took the team's losses far too seriously. I once made a cut out figure of Erik Wilhelm - yes, I am that old - and hung him in effigy. Looking back on that, I was a goddamn lunatic. Now I can appreciate a great human being like Andy Dalton while having a little fun with his frequent disappointments on the field - and, yes, that doesn't make them any less disappointing.

Maybe I can compare it to Joker in "Dark Knight" describing his reaction to his wife leaving him after scarring his face to look like hers. "Now I see the funny side. Now I’m always smiling!" Maybe I'm not always smiling, but I've learned how to live with the scars. I understand that this is still just a game and I make the choice year after year after year to support this team with no guarantee that they will even win a single game. That's on me. I can choose to handle it or I can choose to not handle it. By handling it the best way I know how, I am now in a position to quite possibly learn how to live with success going forward after learning how to live with failure.

"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 11:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kyler’s numbers are going to be fugly…

He's usually fidgety but he looks extra fidgety tonight. That pick six was...ugly.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 11:35 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I'm not trying to speak for anyone else, but I would like to address this general sentiment. I apologize for hijacking the thread, but this kind of thing is kind of important to me. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to attack you or your perspective, Vinyl. Just sharing my own perspective.

I have routinely poked fun at and mocked some of the Bengals failures & futility over the last 30 years, not because I'm disaffected by it. Certainly not because I don't care about this team. My eyes still aren't 100% comfortable after tearing up following Saturday's victory and watching numerous celebration videos over the last 2 days.

No, I find that kind of thing funny because I have to. It's been a coping mechanism. A means of retaining my sanity. There was a time that I took the team's losses far too seriously. I once made a cut out figure of Erik Wilhelm - yes, I am that old - and hung him in effigy. Looking back on that, I was a goddamn lunatic. Now I can appreciate a great human being like Andy Dalton while having a little fun with his frequent disappointments on the field - and, yes, that doesn't make them any less disappointing.

Maybe I can compare it to Joker in "Dark Knight" describing his reaction to his wife leaving him after scarring his face to look like hers. "Now I see the funny side. Now I’m always smiling!" Maybe I'm not always smiling, but I've learned how to live with the scars. I understand that this is still just a game and I make the choice year after year after year to support this team with no guarantee that they will even win a single game. That's on me. I can choose to handle it or I can choose to not handle it. By handling it the best way I know how, I am now in a position to quite possibly learn how to live with success going forward after learning how to live with failure.

"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

Not a hijack at all. Excellent contribution. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 11:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's usually fidgety but he looks extra fidgety tonight. That pick six was...ugly.

He’s making Ben’s game last night look good…

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 03:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just a little look at how some recent QBs did in their very first playoff appearance, over the last decade-ish.

[Image: qb-playoffs.png]

(01-17-2022, 06:38 PM)pally Wrote: how many won the game?

Overall W/L record:  6-11, pending the game tonight and from the looks of it now, it's going to be 6-12.

Winners: Mahomes, Garoppolo, Wilson, Tannehill, Mayfield, Burrow.
Losers: Allen, Prescott, Jones, Carr, Hurts, Stafford, Cousins, Rodgers, Ryan, Dalton, Jackson, (Murray?).

Funny side note. Tannehill won his first two playoff starts, going 8/15 and 7/14 and throwing for less than 100 yards in each game. 

Reply/Quote
Rosen's probably laughing his ass off
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 11:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s making Ben’s game last night look good…

lol. Booger McFarland just said he's never seen a quarterback panic like Murray is tonight. "What in the Carson Wentz was that??", on the pick six.

Reply/Quote