Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Queen Elizabeth II dead at 96
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61585886

The Queen since 1952, who seemed rather popular as far as monarchs go, has died and Prince Charles will finally be crowned king. I suppose this counts as political, but interesting news none the less.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Louis XIV still holding the record for the longest reign with 72 years.

RIP Elisabeth.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
A very strange feeling. While the Royal Family/Monarchy certainly has their share of controversy and a very overinflated and disproportionate sense of importance in today's world, I was still profoundly saddened by the news, and I've never been a resident of the UK or the Commonwealth countries.
Reply/Quote
R.I.P. Queen Elizabeth.
Reply/Quote
What an inspiring life of public service. Well done.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2022, 05:59 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: What an inspiring life of public service. Well done.

That was a great way to put it. Well done.

Don't we have a couple of British fans on here? I remember a British Bengal and then a bonnie? Maybe?
Reply/Quote
Rest easy Elizabeth
Reply/Quote
I thought she was gonna outlive Charlie... lol
Nice long life and a respected lady. RIP
Reply/Quote
I recently lost my grandmother and, even when they are old and you know their time is coming, it's still very sad.

With that said, I don't understand why the world cares about the British royal family as much as they do. It's just a weird cultural phenomenon to me.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:13 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: With that said, I don't understand why the world cares about the British royal family as much as they do. It's just a weird cultural phenomenon to me.

Well, a lot of countries hate the British royal family for their own reasons.  I heard someone compare the British "respecting and lauding" the royal family to Americans taking off their hats during the anthem or "respecting and lauding" the flag.  It just seems like the right thing to do, you tend to not gain much by defying it, and if you don't do it you're probably going to start a fight.

Every culture has their lines into which the peasants must fall.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, a lot of countries hate the British royal family for their own reasons.  I heard someone compare the British "respecting and lauding" the royal family to Americans taking off their hats during the anthem or "respecting and lauding" the flag.  It just seems like the right thing to do, you tend to not gain much by defying it, and if you don't do it you're probably going to start a fight.

Every culture has their lines into which the peasants must fall.

I get why British people care about it. I guess I'm just confused why Americans or even other countries would particularly care. She is a figure head but doesn't really have any power, so a change in monarch doesn't affect international policy or anything like that either, at least not officially.

Just strange. I don't know if America has an equivalent (A non-politician that the world mourns upon their passing), but I don't think we do.
Reply/Quote
Well, they used to run the country, er, Empire and when things were modernized, they just became the figureheads, a lineage from a past time that while no longer in power, still has relevance in their country: we feel it here, as we were a colony under the commonwealth, but I agree in that while it was sad, I'm not really caring one way or the other.

It's like the Emperor and PM of Japan; one is still a figurehead that has a lot of influence, but no power, while the other runs the country, er, Empire like the former did.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:46 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Well, they used to run the country, er, Empire and when things were modernized, they just became the figureheads, a lineage from a past time that while no longer in power, still has relevance in their country: we feel it here, as we were a colony under the commonwealth, but I agree in that while it was sad, I'm not really caring one way or the other.

It's like the Emperor and PM of Japan; one is still a figurehead that has a lot of influence, but no power, while the other runs the country, er, Empire like the former did.

So is the king going to be on your money now, or what?  Or is there a beaver on it?  I'm not sure if I'm joking or not.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:56 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So is the king going to be on your money now, or what?  Or is there a beaver on it?  I'm not sure if I'm joking or not.

LOL

Apparently, there is buzz going around that he will be on Currency, but we have NEVER changed the person on the Currency before, due to death, so there's no precedent: she was first emblazoned in 1935, IIRC and she was still a child lol.

That would just go for coins though (of which she's on ALL of them), which the likeness of the Queen was updated as she aged (and we discontinued the penny a few years ago): no one has EVER been changed on any bill currency, save for Sir John A. MacDonald (our first PM) on the $10.00 bill and that was only because he kept black slaves and was a generally rough guy.

Since their inception (1969), it has been:

$5.00: Sir Wilfrid Laurier (awesome PM)
$10.00: SJM (as mentioned, a few years ago he was removed)
$20.00: Queen Elizabeth II
$50.00: Sir William Lyon McKenzie-King (our version of Grover Cleveland, only for him it was *3* non-consecutive terms lol. Guy was in political office forever and a day and another, awesome PM)
$100.00: Sir Robert Laird Borden (another awesome PM, Conservative, like SJM)

So I'd think the Queen will stick around.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:33 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: So I'd think the Queen will stick around.

Still time to put a beaver on of one them bills, just saying.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Still time to put a beaver on of one them bills, just saying.

We have a beaver on the nickel Wink

For the coins, the backside has/had:

Penny: Maple Leaf
Nickel: Beaver
Dime: Bluenose II (a truly AWESOME Schooner <3)
Quarter: Caribou
Dollar: Loon (hence, "Loonie." What a lovely bird)
Toonie: Polar Bear
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:56 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So is the king going to be on your money now, or what?  Or is there a beaver on it?  I'm not sure if I'm joking or not.

People are having to do quite the deep dive on the regulations when it comes to the transition. Learned today that each monarch faces the opposite direction of their predecessor on currency.

I do wonder what some countries outside of the UK will do. Like Truck said, Elizabeth II has been on coins for the better part of a century. But the relationship between the Royal Family and Canada is quite different today. Canada probably didn't care to change the currency while the queen was alive, but now that she has passed I think they will be a little more ambivalent about Charles III.
Reply/Quote