Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Surveillance Cameras
How come roller coasters can take a ridiculously accurate picture of your face shitting your pants at 75 mph but a bank cannot take a picture of a robber standing still 10ft away without it being blurry as hell and unable to even accurately show who it is?
Reply/Quote
Money.

The theme park can pay a couple grand one time for a camera that takes hundreds of pictures each day. If they sell 1/4th of 400 pictures, that's 100. At $25, that's $2,500. You've paid for the camera in a day.

The bank would have to buy multiple video cameras to get the same tight focus and picture quality. That's several thousand dollars. But why wouldn't they want to spend several thousand dollars to help catch a robber who effectively just stole from the insurance company that provides coverage to the bank? Because that makes them $0.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2016, 03:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How come roller coasters can take a ridiculously accurate picture of your face shitting your pants at 75 mph but a bank cannot take a picture of a robber standing still 10ft away without it being blurry as hell and unable to even accurately show who it is?

I saw this thought posted on reddit too...

To answer the question it's because of the quality of camera used. As spelled out above, because the theme park camera is a revenue generating device it must meet a certain quality, that and size isn't an issue. In a bank the cost and size of these cameras tend to be cost prohibitive to use. I will say with advancements in cameras recently, it is possible today for a relatively small price to do but moist banks haven't updated their camera systems in over a decade.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2016, 04:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: I saw this thought posted on reddit too...

To answer the question it's because of the quality of camera used. As spelled out above, because the theme park camera is a revenue generating device it must meet a certain quality, that and size isn't an issue. In a bank the cost and size of these cameras tend to be cost prohibitive to use. I will say with advancements in cameras recently, it is possible today for a relatively small price to do but moist banks haven't updated their camera systems in over a decade.

That is a scary place.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote