Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Alamo
(09-23-2016, 09:29 PM)jason Wrote: I daydream about the Alamo myself. It's mostly because I live the song Ballad of the Alamo by Marty Robbins. I know you're a big old country fan Hawk. Do you like him?

Oh heck ya.  Marty Robbins is one of my favorite old country artists!  
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 04:36 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: True.  but if memory serves, that last battle was the culmination of weeks of bombardment by the Mexicans into the Alamo, keeping everyone inside up and unable to go to sleep.  That last night they finally stopped bombing the place and let the defenders finally sleep.  Then in the early, pre morning dawn, they assembled and assaulted the fort while most everyone was still sleeping inside, preventing many soldiers from being ready at their posts.  I think they first started the assault around 4am and it was all over with by 6:30 or 7am.  Could a couple of properly placed, properly equipped, machine guns kept the Mexicans at bay? 

Ha, ha, well, of course they could have, if you are talking about something like a Browning .30 cal. . A couple of properly placed machine guns would have won any major European land battle up to 1870.

I don't believe the Texans faced weeks of bombardment as the siege only lasted 13 days and the Mexican artillery after most of the army.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 02:59 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Does anyone else ever day dream about the Alamo?  What would have happened if the defenders would have had 2 or 3 Gatlin guns with 10k rounds of ammo readily available? Or the WWI German machine gun? Strategically placed through out the compound.  Would that have stopped Mexicans from winning the battle?  What if they had another 100 well equipped soldiers?  What if they would have had 3 larger cannons from the Civil War era?

What would have been the minimum amount of help they would have needed to successfully repel the Mexicans from storming the Alamo that morning? 

Has anyone else ever thought about this or is this my first clue that maybe I should go get some professional psychiatric help?   

What might have stopped the Mexicans from winning? -- If Fannin had continued his relief march from Goliad. That would have reinforced the Alamo garrison with 300 men.  Some 480 strong then, the Texas would likely have defended successfully against an army of only 1,200 or so Mexicans--so long as they kept their guards alert.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2016, 11:48 PM)Beaker Wrote: What if they had an M-1 Abrams tank at the Alamo?

eff mexico and eff santa anna then!

But what if the Russians had gifted Santa Anna with two or three RPG-29s, plus an advisor?
Reply/Quote
Reminds me of the first alternative history book I read called The Guns Of The South. Although it is set during the Civil War it is the same basic story line. A group of scientists from apartheid era South Africa invent a means of time travel and send a bunch of AK47s to aid the Confederacy.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 09:55 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Reminds me of the first alternative history book I read called The Guns Of The South. Although it is set during the Civil War it is the same basic story line. A group of scientists from apartheid era South Africa invent a means of time travel and send a bunch of AK47s to aid the Confederacy.

Wow. That's a wet dream for a certain cross section of the population, huh?

We should buy the rights, republish that, and make a movie too. Copies of the book autographed by a certain celebrity candidate would fetch a nice price, as would posters, flags, etc. Visualizing a whole merch line and simultaneously wanting to puke and realizing this is as close to hitting the lottery as I have ever come.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 09:55 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Reminds me of the first alternative history book I read called The Guns Of The South. Although it is set during the Civil War it is the same basic story line. A group of scientists from apartheid era South Africa invent a means of time travel and send a bunch of AK47s to aid the Confederacy.

Sounds like a historical version of the Turner Diaries.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2016, 07:16 PM)Dill Wrote: But what if the Russians had gifted Santa Anna with two or three RPG-29s, plus an advisor?

The tank would still be hull down in the Alamo and the rpgs would be ineffective.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2016, 11:02 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Just the pistol?

I'd think it should be loaded...

And maybe have extra ammo since there are more than seven soldiers in an army.

Nah I was just going to throw it at them.  Thing weighs like 5 lbs.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 11:25 AM)xxlt Wrote: Wow. That's a wet dream for a certain cross section of the population, huh?

We should buy the rights, republish that, and make a movie too. Copies of the book autographed by a certain celebrity candidate would fetch a nice price, as would posters, flags, etc. Visualizing a whole merch line and simultaneously wanting to puke and realizing this is as close to hitting the lottery as I have ever come.

You might think that but since the North still wins in the end not really.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 10:06 PM)Beaker Wrote: The tank would still be hull down in the Alamo and the rpgs would be ineffective.

Hull down?, then the Mexican army could out flank it, approach from the heavier walled sides of the compound. Once they are on the walls, they can shoot down on it.  VIVA LA MEXICO!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 11:12 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: You might think that but since the North still wins in the end not really.

Well, we'd have to give those bastards a happy ending.

(Sounds like a line lifted from another kind of movie.)
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 08:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Nah I was just going to throw it at them.  Thing weighs like 5 lbs.

Wait for them to charge, then chuck it at the first guy.

When the butt nails him in the between the eyes, they'll all be like...

[Image: 42220b74-ad12-4910-b474-91d115e70832.jpg]
Reply/Quote