Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about electric
If I'm remembering my AC/DC class at Cincinnati State, our homes are constantly putting electric back into the grid and the electric company charges our neighbor for it.

For instance, a 100 watt lightbulb uses 100 watts to turn on but nowhere near that amount to continue burning except it still pulls 100 watts from the power grid on a continual basis. The electric that isn't used returns to the power grid and the electric company charges the next door neighbor for the electric my house already paid for.

Now, I understand that the amount of electric slows down our meter some but it's nowhere near what the electric company charges.

Should we receive more for the electric we don't use from the electric company and what if we have solar panels on our homes? Should we receive the same rate the electric company charges or how about cutting it in half since its their infrastructure?

What if I was able to get my neighborhood to all put solar panels on our homes and pump out more energy than we use? Should the electric company cut us a check every month?

Many more questions than I can list here.
(12-12-2017, 02:29 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Should we receive more for the electric we don't use from the electric company and what if we have solar panels on our homes? Should we receive the same rate the electric company charges or how about cutting it in half since its their infrastructure?

What if I was able to get my neighborhood to all put solar panels on our homes and pump out more energy than we use? Should the electric company cut us a check every month?

I'm not too familiar with this, alternative energy policy is my brother-in-law's specialty and I'm more of just an admin and analyst type, but it is my understanding that there are places where policies like this exist. I know that energy companies will buy excess from people with solar panels in some places. I don't know the rates, and I doubt it is what the company would charge, but the CBA on it all comes out to a benefit for the homeowner with solar panels.

All of this will be done at the municipal level as that is where utilities are managed. You could look into your local power company and see if they have any of these buyback programs and what those rates would be like. Also, depending on the structure of the power company you deal with, you may be able to have some input. For example, my local power company is a commission that is a quasi-governmental agency for the city. It has a board that is appointed by city council and they hold public hearings. So if your locality has something similar and you have questions/suggestions, then find out when and where they meet and get involved.
You're doing better than me, bro. I can't remember any of the AC/DC concerts. ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-12-2017, 02:29 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: If I'm remembering my AC/DC class at Cincinnati State, our homes are constantly putting electric back into the grid and the electric company charges our neighbor for it.

For instance, a 100 watt lightbulb uses 100 watts to turn on but nowhere near that amount to continue burning except it still pulls 100 watts from the power grid on a continual basis. The electric that isn't used returns to the power grid and the electric company charges the next door neighbor for the electric my house already paid for.

Now, I understand that the amount of electric slows down our meter some but it's nowhere near what the electric company charges.

Should we receive more for the electric we don't use from the electric company and what if we have solar panels on our homes? Should we receive the same rate the electric company charges or how about cutting it in half since its their infrastructure?

Many more questions than I can list here.

The buyback is locally applied. Some cities/states have laws that force utilities to buyback, others just have agreements in place. When I was installing solar in San Diego county, the customers got a yearly bill or check, but there was still a fee for using the grid infrastructure. It's cool to watch the power meter actually spin backwards.
I'm in a cooperative and they actually encourage the use of solar panels and wind mills that generate electric but they say to get your home in order first so you benefit from the alternative electrical power. 

EDIT: Just looked up the cost of solar installation and the prices have come down quite a bit since five years ago, although where I live, Indiana, they may not be able to pay for themselves and the same goes for wind.
(12-12-2017, 10:42 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: You're doing better than me, bro. I can't remember any of the AC/DC concerts.  ThumbsUp

[Image: 6da082fbfafcf593d64799e9da4e11b4df2899b7...7a421f.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
all interesting stuff.
I plan to look into it more once I get a home soon.

I do know that the Electric Company will buy your excess from you, I don't know how often they will pay you for it (Monthly, Quarterly, Bi-Annually or Annually), and of course they are going to charge a fee, it's the Rider Fee. Even if you switch to a different supplier, they still charge that rider fee to you. That's how they "get" their share. What I don't like it we pay for our energy twice.
Once through our Electric Bill, then again thru massive Subsidies with our tax payer dollars.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-14-2017, 01:24 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: all interesting stuff.
I plan to look into it more once I get a home soon.

I do know that the Electric Company will buy your excess from you, I don't know how often they will pay you for it (Monthly, Quarterly, Bi-Annually or Annually), and of course they are going to charge a fee, it's the Rider Fee. Even if you switch to a different supplier, they still charge that rider fee to you. That's how they "get" their share. What I don't like it we pay for our energy twice.
Once through our Electric Bill, then again thru massive Subsidies with our tax payer dollars.

I think the rate they pay is maybe up to a surplus rate. I don't expect the electric companies to pay what they charge simply because they own the infrastructure that our homes are tied into. They take care of it all so there's no way I would even want them to pay what they charge.

But, I do expect it to be fair. 
(12-12-2017, 02:29 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: If I'm remembering my AC/DC class at Cincinnati State, our homes are constantly putting electric back into the grid and the electric company charges our neighbor for it.

Many more questions than I can list hereNever
Never heard of this. I've heard of being able to put electricity back into the grid if you have a solar panels or wind turbines in conjunction with battery backup but not straight power lines coming into our homes from a step down transformer on a pole. Do you have a link?