Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about term limits
The President of the United States is only allowed to serve for two terms or 8 years.

What if Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton dies 1 month in office, will their Vice President be able to serve three terms since they never did serve a full term?

What about if the President dies with a year left in their term?
(10-05-2016, 12:50 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The President of the United States is only allowed to serve for two terms or 8 years.

What if Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton dies 1 month in office, will their Vice President be able to serve three terms since they never did serve a full term?

My understanding is that if the Prez dies in office and the VP takes over they (the VP)  are still eligible for two more terms.  Am I wrong?
(10-05-2016, 02:41 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: My understanding is that if the Prez dies in office and the VP takes over they (the VP)  are still eligible for two more terms.  Am I wrong?

That seems logical...maybe there's a cutoff date or something though, I don't know.
If the POTUS dies before the end of their second year of their term the VP is only allowed to one additional term. If it happens after the start of their second year then they are eligible for 2 terms of their own.
(10-05-2016, 07:28 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: If the POTUS dies before the end of their second year of their term the VP is only allowed to one additional term. If it happens after the start of their second year then they are eligible for 2 terms of their own.

Thank you for the information.
(10-05-2016, 07:28 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: If the POTUS dies before the end of their second year of their term the VP is only allowed to one additional term. If it happens after the start of their second year then they are eligible for 2 terms of their own.

I think you have that a little mixed up.  If the VP serves less than two years, he can serve two full terms.  More than two years, then one term only.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

If he were die before the end of their second year or die after the start of their second year?  you just confused the shit out of me.
(10-05-2016, 02:32 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: If he were die before the end of their second year or die after the start of their second year?  you just confused the shit out of me.

Prior evidence shows that isn't too difficult. Ninja
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
If Trump is elected president and dies on January 19, 2018 then Pence can be re-elected once. He finishes out Trumps term as president and gets to run for re-election in 2020...that's it.
If Trump is elected president and dies on January 21, 2018 then Pence can be re-elected twice. He finishes out Trumps term as president and gets to run for re-election in 2020 and 2024.

If you want to get down to the second, if Trump dies at 11:59:59:999am January 20, 2018 then Pence only gets to run one more time. If Trump dies 12:00:00:001pm January 20, 2018 then Pence gets to run two more times.
(10-05-2016, 02:55 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Prior evidence shows that isn't too difficult. Ninja

touche' Whatever
(10-05-2016, 02:16 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think you have that a little mixed up.  If the VP serves less than two years, he can serve two full terms.  More than two years, then one term only.

Yeah my bad
(10-05-2016, 02:16 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think you have that a little mixed up.  If the VP serves less than two years, he can serve two full terms.  More than two years, then one term only.

(10-05-2016, 02:55 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Prior evidence shows that isn't too difficult. Ninja

Yea I don't know why I read that wrong earlier.  I went out last night after work, and think I may have still been a bit hungover earlier. Ninja
(10-05-2016, 06:34 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Yea I don't know why I read that wrong earlier.  I went out last night after work, and think I may have still been a bit hungover earlier. Ninja

You didn't read it wrong.  Mallorian just typed it wrong.  Should have said aftet the start of their 3rd year.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I thought presidents could serve for 10 years so that VPs sworn into the presidency with two or less years remaining in that term could still serve two more of their own full-terms.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
https://www.quora.com/If-the-vice-president-of-the-U-S-finishes-out-a-presidents-term-can-he-she-still-run-for-two-more-terms

(Their emphasis...not mine.)

Quote:The 22nd Amendment specifically addresses this issue.

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

If a Vice President becomes President upon the death, resignation or impeachment and conviction of the sitting president, he or she can run for two full terms in their own right if and only if they have served less than two full years of the term of the president they replaced.  If they have served even a day over two years of a previous president's term, then they are limited to one additional term of their own.

This means that the longest someone can technically serve as president is 10 years; two four-year terms of their own after serving EXACTLY two years of a previous president's term.

So, for example... President Obama's second term is from January 20, 2013 to January 20, 2017.  If he had resigned or died in office on or before January 19, 2015, Joe Biden would have become president, but would only have been eligible to run for president once more, in 2016.  If Obama had resigned or died in office on or after January 20, 2015, Biden would have been eligible to run in 2016 and again in 2020.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I'm sure this has been answered, but they're allowed 10 years max. So if Trump or Clinton dies 1 month in, Pence or Kaine could only run for reelection 1 more time. If POTUS died at the start of year 3 or later, they could run for two more terms.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

What if Kaine dies, Hillary makes Obama her VP...and then Hillary dies?
--------------------------------------------------------

(10-07-2016, 06:44 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: What if Kaine dies, Hillary makes Obama her VP...and then Hillary dies?

Then America will be two-thirds of the way to being great again.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Does Obama's two terms as US President bar him from running for President of Kenya?
(10-05-2016, 12:50 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The President of the United States is only allowed to serve for two terms or 8 years.

Sound to me like someone is planning something.