Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about term limits
(10-08-2016, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Does Obama's two terms as US President bar him from running for President of Kenya?
Yes.

Unless he wins another Nobel Prize.
Ninja

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Anyone know why we have this rule? Why was the 22nd amendment passed?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(10-15-2016, 09:46 AM)xxlt Wrote: Anyone know why we have this rule? Why was the 22nd amendment passed?

Republicans had sour grapes over losing to FDR. In reality there were many people that felt too many terms in office for a POTUS was too much akin to a monarchy, it's why Washington stopped at two. But the tipping point was FDR's fourth term and that caused Republicans to make the move.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-05-2016, 12:50 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The President of the United States is only allowed to serve for two terms or 8 years.

What about if the President dies with a year left in their term?

I can't find any point in the Constitution which forbids a deceased president from running for a second term.

Presumably, the same term limits which apply to living presidents would apply to dead.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-08-2016, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Does Obama's two terms as US President bar him from running for President of Kenya?
Kenya has a parliamentary system; they do not directly elect a "president."

The 2010 Kenyan Constitution does not prevent anyone who has served as president of the US from running for office in Kenya, though any such candidate must be a citizen of Kenya.  Anyone with a Kenyan parent may apply for citizenship.

However, it does say that anyone running for federal office must have been a Kenyan citizen for at least ten years
before running for office.  Obama, who does not at the moment hold dual citizenship with any country, has a right to apply for Kenyan citizenship; but he would have to wait ten years before running for office there.

So Obama is for the moment barred from running for office in Kenya by their Constitution, but not because he was president of the US.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-15-2016, 12:09 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Republicans had sour grapes over losing to FDR. In reality there were many people that felt too many terms in office for a POTUS was too much akin to a monarchy, it's why Washington stopped at two. But the tipping point was FDR's fourth term and that caused Republicans to make the move.

Not surprised you knew this, wonder if anyone else did. The death spiral the Republican party is in now climaxing with Trump as a candidate would have come decades sooner if not for the change.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.