Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Drafting Chase Supporters
I love Chase --would love him on the Bengals but when I think about our OLine I simply cannot justify passing on an elite offensive lineman. So if you are committed to drafting Chase --please explain how you think the OLine will give Burrows enough time to use the weapons he will have.

Here is my assessment of the line --please share yours

Williams is average but getting better and a long term piece.Reif is solid but signed for one year.

Hopkins is below average and coming back from an injury.

Spain, XSF are back ups. XSF was a back-up for Dallas, he signed for a back-up salary. Spain was cut by Buffalo during the year when they had title hopes. He just resigned for a back up salary. Which means the Bengals, the other teams and the player all accept that at least for this year --they look like a back up. If they or other teams thought they were starters --they wouldn't have signed for back-up salary

Pollack is better than Turner --but we had Pollack before and the line was not great. So why do we believe he can turn poor players into sound players?

I think because we watched Turner coach Redmond, Hart and Jordan --we overvalue Pollack, Spain and XSF.

Sewell or Slater become our best OLineman. They guarantee we have three strong OLineman. Waiting to round two is just to great a risk for me.

Love to hear your argument
Reply/Quote
Because the draft is more than one round and the team will presumably draft guys from a deep offensive line class and hand them off to a better coach than the clown we had the last two years.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
This is a very good OL class. There’s like 10 guys ranked in the top 50 iirc. There’s going to be some very good options available at 38, that would be 1st round picks in some other years.

To me going with Chase comes down to one very simple reason, the drop off between him and the other outside WR’s is far greater than Sewell and the day 2 linemen. It’s about value, and where the sweet spot to hit those two particular positions is the strongest.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Jamarr Chase dominated his 1 on 1 matchups in that
Season.with Joe Burrow. He was making future NFL talents
At CB look silly.
Penei dominated his matchups too. But his level of
Competition that he faced was below that of Chases.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:53 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Jamarr Chase dominated his 1 on 1 matchups in that
Season.with Joe Burrow. He was making future NFL talents
At CB look silly.
Penei dominated his matchups too. But his level of
Competition that he faced was below that of Chases.

Yep. Chase’s best tape is against 1st and 2nd round guys (Terrell, Diggs, etc). Sewell’s best tape is mostly against day 3 prospects. The one game he did face really high end competition (Auburn) he was just ok. It’s funny, way back when I was obsessing over Sewell (and I’m talking long before Burrow got hurt) there were people telling me how weak the PAC-12 was, and that he never saw elite pass rushers out there. Don’t see any of that brought up lately though. Basically because they don’t want a WR at 5.

Reply/Quote
I'm not Team Chase or Team Sewell, honestly, and I'll be happy with either at 5.

I would venture to say the argument is: Chase is a true number one who can play outside. You can't find many of those in this draft considering it's much deeper at OL than it is Outside WR. Getting a top playmaker and getting to turn around and take advantage of a deep draft in round two, you could potentially be set at two impact positions early on, especially if it's a guy who can play guard as a rookie and then kick out to tackle like an Alex Leatherwood.

With Sewell, the likelihood of that happening is much less likely. Bateman and Marshall will likely not be there, so if you want a WR it would be in later rounds.

Again, I'm not on either side at this point. I would be happy with either. But I do think the arguments on both sides hold a ton of weight. I'm excited to see the route we take.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
1.) The Bengals have a solid/good Tackle combination as is. So to say that we absolutely need a RT or Burrow automatically gets hurt is a bit dramatic.

2.) IOL play is a bigger issue than Tackle right now.

3.) You can scheme around a bad Offensive Line with quick passes and screens. It's harder to scheme when guys can't get open.

4.) Joe style is going to lead to a lot of sacks early in his career. That is one of the reasons why we drafted him is because He is a play extender. Unfortunately there going to be times when he takes unnecessary hits because he olds onto the Ball too long. He had his fair share of Sacks counted against him last season because of this. It's a trade off that the Bengals have to take in stride.

I'm in neither the Chase or Sewell side. I'm in the trade down side; one of my reasons is because it is a deep Offensive Line draft. I would also say the same thing about the WR talent in this draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We were averaging nearly 30 points per game with needs at both WR and OL there for a stretch last season. The biggest issue for someone like me was the lack of run blocking. It was worse than the pass blocking until a bit later in the year after Mixon was already hurt. Establish the run and you'll protect Burrow, the lead, and keep the defense fresh. I for one do not want to become a Big 12 air raid attack where every game is a 60 point shootout. I want to run it down peoples throats and then let Joe sit back and pick them apart when stack the box.

When I look at our line, I feel like we could use upgrades at almost every position. We look a little better with Spain and XSF over Jordan and Johnson playing G, but if one of them gets hurt, its right back to what we had last year. What are the chances we have injuries on the OL this year? Judging from history pretty good. Hopkins is a big question mark now. Will he return to his average form, or have some dropoff? Imo, Jordan, Redmond shouldnt even be on the roster at all. Who was that other guy, Calhoun? We could use the guys like XSF and Spain coming off the bench behind better players. Reiff may end up solid, but he's older and if he gets hurt its back to Johnson. I'm really hoping Adeniji is one of the guys who really ups his game in year 2. He really wasnt that bad last year for a later round rookie under coach Turner who was a mistake hire by Zac.
Ok, soapbox off lol.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 10:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is a very good OL class. There’s like 10 guys ranked in the top 50 iirc. There’s going to be some very good options available at 38, that would be 1st round picks in some other years.

To me going with Chase comes down to one very simple reason, the drop off between him and the other outside WR’s is far greater than Sewell and the day 2 linemen. It’s about value, and where the sweet spot to hit those two particular positions is the strongest.

This. Exactly. 
Reply/Quote
I love how even in a thread specifically asking for opinions of those for taking Chase we’re going to get a bunch of posts talking about why we shouldn’t lol.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 12:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I love how even in a thread specifically asking for opinions of those for taking Chase we’re going to get a bunch of posts talking about why we shouldn’t lol.

This has to be the most divided I've ever seen the board or fanbase.

I wish the draft was tomorrow so we'd just be passed it.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 12:14 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This has to be the most divided I've ever seen the board or fanbase.

I wish the draft was tomorrow so we'd just be passed it.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I promise to jump right on board with you guys if we make a surprise choice and go with the big Samoan. Big Grin

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 11:35 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) The Bengals have a solid/good Tackle combination as is. So to say that we absolutely need a RT or Burrow automatically gets hurt is a bit dramatic.

2.) IOL play is a bigger issue than Tackle right now.

3.) You can scheme around a bad Offensive Line with quick passes and screens. It's harder to scheme when guys can't get open.

4.) Joe style is going to lead to a lot of sacks early in his career. That is one of the reasons why we drafted him is because He is a play extender. Unfortunately there going to be times when he takes unnecessary hits because he olds onto the Ball too long. He had his fair share of Sacks counted against him last season because of this. It's a trade off that the Bengals have to take in stride.

I'm in neither the Chase or Sewell side. I'm in the trade down side; one of my reasons is because it is a deep Offensive Line draft. I would also say the same thing about the WR talent in this draft.

Honestly trading back wouldnt hurt my feelings. I also think both WR and OL are deep with talent, more than other folks seem to. Chase looks like he has it all and so does Sewell for his age especially, and if we end up with either of them I'll be fine with it. You look at guys like Bateman and Slater though, put them on an offense with Burrow and they could be superb. We could trade back for either and get extra picks and improve the team even further. 

Most likely we will draft Chase. If we do, we will have drafted the best WR in the class. Its hard to argue with that as long as we do other things to keep Burrow upright and allow Mixon to run. If we cant run again this year we may as well trade Mixon. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 12:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, I can only speak for myself, but I promise to jump right on board with you guys if we make a surprise choice and go with the big Samoan. Big Grin

The only way I'll be pissy about the Chase pick after draft day is if they ignore the line for several rounds like last years draft. (Like wait till day 3 again) Of course, I think most people on the board would be pissed at that as well.

Even then, I'll still be pulling for Chase to succeed, hell even if they drafted Parsons at 5 or Waddle I'm going to want them to be great. 

Reply/Quote
Well for one I'm a supporter of the Chase and fix the O-line in the next two rounds and beyond.

I'm also in favor of taking Sewell and trading up for Marshall if necessary.

Those are my two favorite scenarios.

Ignoring the WR depth problem and thinking we just need a one dimensional speed player would be a huge mistake.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 12:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I love how even in a thread specifically asking for opinions of those for taking Chase we’re going to get a bunch of posts talking about why we shouldn’t lol.

This is the most exciting draft we have had in a long time, and when you got 3 players in Chase, Sewell and Pitts all as possibilities, everyone is going to chime in lol. But it shouldnt cause strife between us fans. We are lucky to have those types of players to choose from in the first place. I just hope we are drafting in the late 20's or early 30's next year for obvious reasons. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 12:32 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well for one I'm a supporter of the Chase and fix the O-line in the next two rounds and beyond.

I'm also in favor of taking Sewell and trading up for Marshall if necessary.

Those are my two favorite scenarios.

Ignoring the WR depth problem and thinking we just need a one dimensional speed player would be a huge mistake.

I think that is why I'm so in on Sewell is because of the value I see in some of the 2nd round WRs. I just can't fall in love with the guys they have projected for OL at round 2 for us. Leatherwood doesn't excite me, Radunz I like but just worry about the small school (if Sewell's competition is being questioned this one should really be questioned) and then you have Walker Little... which I'm torn on. He doesn't opt out, he'd be pushing Sewell for best in class maybe, but no snaps since a season ending knee injury worries me. I don't want to take another injured OL guy... not in on Wyatt Davis for the same reason.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 12:30 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The only way I'll be pissy about the Chase pick after draft day is if they ignore the line for several rounds like last years draft. (Like wait till day 3 again) Of course, I think most people on the board would be pissed at that as well.

Even then, I'll still be pulling for Chase to succeed, hell even if they drafted Parsons at 5 or Waddle I'm going to want them to be great. 

If we ignore OL until day 3 I’ll be standing right next to you with my torch and pitchfork.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 12:46 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think that is why I'm so in on Sewell is because of the value I see in some of the 2nd round WRs. I just can't fall in love with the guys they have projected for OL at round 2 for us. Leatherwood doesn't excite me, Radunz I like but just worry about the small school (if Sewell's competition is being questioned this one should really be questioned) and then you have Walker Little... which I'm torn on. He doesn't opt out, he'd be pushing Sewell for best in class maybe, but no snaps since a season ending knee injury worries me. I don't want to take another injured OL guy... not in on Wyatt Davis for the same reason.

In almost any other year I would already be ready to order my Chase jersey. But as I was saying in another thread. Higgins had 900 yards last year and Boyd had over 840. Higgins would've no doubt went over 1000 yards in his rookie season if Burrow didnt get hurt. He would've been one of 3 rookie WR's to get 1000+ since 2005. I think Boyd would've went over 1000 as well. So, imo we already have two pro bowl or borderline pb caliber WR's on the team right now. We have nothing like that on the OL. Not one. How many 1000 yard type WR's do we really need especially if we want be able to run again?
Reply/Quote
Can’t fix the o line with one pick unfortunately. We can make our receivers elite with that one pick though.
Then invest heavily in the front line in 2,3,4 and waivers etc. That and better coaching and scheme may just turn it from crap to capable.
Reply/Quote