Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for all you Parents
So I recently had my first child, who is now two months old.

Every. Single. Day...at least two people at work ask me “Is he sleeping?”

When does this stop? Because I need it to. Why do people care if he’s sleeping? Nobody warned me about this ridiculous small talk that seems to have been added on top of bitching about the weather.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 07:28 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: So I recently had my first child, who is now two months old.

When does this stop? Because I need it to. Why do people care if he’s sleeping? Nobody warned me about this ridiculous small talk that seems to have been added on top of bitching about the weather.

People are just looking for something to say to you, that's all.

BTW- Congrats, my brother! ThumbsUp

(My boy slept really well!)
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Congratulations..Could be worse I suppose..you could have my sister butting in pretending to be "megamom" like she did when my kids were little.. My kids both turned out just fine, both her kids already have prison records.. I guess megamom screwed up somewhere along the way, huh?

The benign questioning didn't bug me so much as the people who never raised so much as a kitten in their lives telling me how to raise my kids..everyone is suddenly the eggspurt about kids despite remaining childless and single their entire lives..just don't spoil your kids to the point that they expect everything handed to them. Mine were raised pretty much on the edge of poverty, but it served them well. Both work hard for everything they now have as adults.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 07:28 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: So I recently had my first child, who is now two months old.

Do they mean through the night?  I guess everyone remembers the weeks of getting up in the middle of the night.  I was lucky in that Nick at Nite was running Bob Newhart overnight.  I had almost forgotten how good that show was.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 10:22 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Do they mean through the night?  I guess everyone remembers the weeks of getting up in the middle of the night.  I was lucky in that Nick at Nite was running Bob Newhart overnight.  I had almost forgotten how good that show was.  

This.  Take it from a father of two....if the kid IS sleeping through the night, count your blessings.  I had one that did, and one that didn't.  Makes for a LONG work day......lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 10:39 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: This.  Take it from a father of two....if the kid IS sleeping through the night, count your blessings.  I had one that did, and one that didn't.  Makes for a LONG work day......lol.

I got so lucky. My daughter was sleeping through the night at two months old, and rarely cried before that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Just say yep he sleeps when I'm working so we can hang out all night

-Not a Parent... nor do I play one on TV.... But if you keep giving the same answer they will stop asking the same question lol
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 01:08 PM)jason Wrote: I got so lucky. My daughter was sleeping through the night at two months old, and rarely cried before that.

You’re fortunate! My youngest daughter is nine now but when she was a baby she wouldn’t sleep in the car. Most babies aren’t like that: By the time you’re out of the driveway they’re out like a light. Not mine, no! She would open her eyes, look out the window, and point at everything.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 08:21 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: People are just looking for something to say to you, that's all.

BTW- Congrats, my brother! ThumbsUp

(My boy slept really well!)

Yep, pretty much why they ask. I’ve done this myself, and in some cases really didn’t care rather they did or didn’t. More of a break silence type thing. Sounds horrible I know, but pretty much the same as asking someone if they’re having a good day. Sometimes I care, sometimes not.

Now if I ask them if they got that $20 bucks they owe me? I’m extremely interested in the response. Ninja

Reply/Quote
I suppose it'll stop when you start telling them to STFU; outside of that folks are just making small talk to you about your child. Perhaps you should look at this as a blessing instead of a hindrance.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Yeah it's almost a trope to assume babies don't sleep.  They stop asking eventually and then ask about teething and potty training and when are you having another!  Because people are nosy! Hilarious

Our daughter (now 20) would not go to sleep until 10:30 every night.  She would sit in her swing and watch Talk Soup and then pass out.  Now we can't keep her awake long enough to do the dishwasher!  Smirk

Our son (now 16) was a sleeper.  Lay him down and out.  He's still the same way.

Congrats and best of luck!  No one said having kids was easy!
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 11:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You’re fortunate!  My youngest daughter is nine now but when she was a baby she wouldn’t sleep in the car.  Most babies aren’t like that:  By the time you’re out of the driveway they’re out like a light.  Not mine, no!  She would open her eyes, look out the window, and point at everything.

One night when our daughter just would not go to sleep, and was miserable and crying, I took her for a drive...ten minutes in she was completely silent.

Ten minutes later on the way home I peeked into the car seat and she was WIDE awake just watching the lights go by!  I drove for 45 minutes and she never fell asleep.  Smirk  Only time that ever happened.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 09:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah it's almost a trope to assume babies don't sleep.  They stop asking eventually and then ask about teething and potty training and when are you having another!  Because people are nosy! Hilarious

Our daughter (now 20) would not go to sleep until 10:30 every night.  She would sit in her swing and watch Talk Soup and then pass out.  Now we can't keep her awake long enough to do the dishwasher!  Smirk

Our son (now 16) was a sleeper.  Lay him down and out.  He's still the same way.

Congrats and best of luck!  No one said having kids was easy!

So it never stops. Haha

Talk Soup, good choice. I remember when John Henson (I think) would put a colonial wig on and they’d put a piece of black paper on the side of it to represent the inverse of his white spot. That’s gold. Probably good that she slept before Howard Stern came on.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 09:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: One night when our daughter just would not go to sleep, and was miserable and crying, I took her for a drive...ten minutes in she was completely silent.

Ten minutes later on the way home I peeked into the car seat and she was WIDE awake just watching the lights go by!  I drove for 45 minutes and she never fell asleep.  Smirk  Only time that ever happened.

I’ve jokingly asked my wife what they did before cars. Covered wagon rides? Horses? Must’ve been awful. The car is a lucky charm.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 10:36 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: So it never stops. Haha

Talk Soup, good choice. I remember when John Henson (I think) would put a colonial wig on and they’d put a piece of black paper on the side of it to represent the inverse of his white spot. That’s gold. Probably good that she slept before Howard Stern came on.

That was the host she liked!  

(04-10-2018, 10:38 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I’ve jokingly asked my wife what they did before cars. Covered wagon rides? Horses? Must’ve been awful. The car is a lucky charm.

[Image: pabsttonic.jpg]

Ninja
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote