Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on Gio
Is this the last year of his contract and if so, should the Bengals make moves to sign him earlier than expected?

I personally think Gio is an amazing player and makes this offense at least 20% better. While he was great last year, I feel he can be even better than he was. I think he is the hidden gem on this team, that got overshadowed by some great J. Hill rookie runs.

If Gio hits free agency, I guarantee there is no way we retain him. We have to give him his contract before any of this can happen. At least, this is how I feel about the whole situation.

How would you feel if Gio received a new contract this offseason? I just don't want to lose this guy.
Reply/Quote
Yes. Gio is a FA next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Since he is a cut above those dime-a-dozen running backs out there, Bengals should definitely sign him to a new 4 year deal.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I will add that Burkhead, Peerman, and Hewitt are also FA's next year.

Also Zeitler, Eifert, Peko, Hunt, Dre, Hawk, and Williams are FA's next year
Reply/Quote
He will most likely go to another team to be the #1 back he should be.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 03:09 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I will add that Burkhead, Peerman, and Hewitt are also FA's next year.  

Eifert was a 1st rounder though so I fully expect them to use his 5th year option
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 02:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Is this the last year of his contract and if so, should the Bengals make moves to sign him earlier than expected?

I personally think Gio is an amazing player and makes this offense at least 20% better. While he was great last year, I feel he can be even better than he was. I think he is the hidden gem on this team, that got overshadowed by some great J. Hill rookie runs.

If Gio hits free agency, I guarantee there is no way we retain him. We have to give him his contract before any of this can happen. At least, this is how I feel about the whole situation.

How would you feel if Gio received a new contract this offseason? I just don't want to lose this guy.

I think we might run into the same issue we have had at other positions when 2 key players go up to FA back to back...

If so which would you keep long term Gio or Hill

(this might not be an issue depending on how fast the cap starts to raise)
Reply/Quote
I thought the question was going to be will we design a pass play that doesnt result in Gio getting killed now that Hue is gone?

As to your question we should wait. Too many holes this year that need immediate attention. The price tag of free agent RBs has been lowered. Demarco Murray may have hurt it even more and this coming year Doug Martin and Lamar Miller may hurt the RBs yet again.

It doesnt take a big money RB to win a championship. And it is a position where rookies can make an immediate impact.

If Jeremy Hill turns it around and puts up a couple back to back 1300+ yard years what do you do with him if we are already paying Gio 5+ mil?

I dont want Gio to go anywhere. Only current Bengal jersey I have. But as long as we dont ignore the position in the draft I am weary of giving big money to RBs. If he would sign for 3-4 mil per i would probably do it. Anything above that i would wait
Reply/Quote
Hobson mentioned that Gio will be one of the big names in extension talks during TC.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 03:09 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I will add that Burkhead, Peerman, and Hewitt are also FA's next year.  

Zeitler will probably get a new contract this offseason to reduce his $8m cap hit in 2016.

Eifert has his 5th year option, so he won't hit FA.

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams gets extended this offseason since one of the safeties will probably leave in FA.

Peerman would be nice to retain as ST Captain, but Herbert was really good before him and was replaced, so not irreplaceable.

Gio should be kept, but I don't know if he will be able to resist the temptation of going somewhere that will use him better than the Bengals do. I think with the Saints, Cowboys, or Patriots, he could be one of the better RBs in the NFL. They'll give him the 200-220 carries and 70-80 catches he should get. He's basically a better, stouter, Darren Sproles. The Bengals need to use him like that. Gotta get what you can out of RBs before they lose a step.

The rest honestly don't really matter.

(Interestingly enough, you didn't mention Whitworth, who I fully expect to keep getting signed to 1 year extensions/deals until his play level drops off and/or he retires.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't resign him this off season. Other more impactful players need to be resigned before I'd ventured to the backup RB.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2016, 03:52 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If Jeremy Hill turns it around and puts up a couple back to back 1300+ yard years what do you do with him if we are already paying Gio 5+ mil?

That's like asking if I would rather have my supermodel wife, or Bigfoot cook me a unicorn steak for dinner.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 02:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: That's like asking if I would rather have my supermodel wife, or Bigfoot cook me a unicorn steak for dinner.

Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote