Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on circular saws
i have owned a cirular saw for years. I have not ysed it very much, but I have changed the blade before when I wnated to cut some metal fence posts. Best I can remember all i did was stick a screwdriver into the teeth so the blade would not turn then unscrew the bolt holding the blade on. So last night when I went to change the blade the bolt would spin the motor instead of unscrew even when the blade was locked in place.

So I went and got my dads circular saw and the exact same thing happened with it.

So WTF am I doing wrong?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2017, 03:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: i have owned a cirular saw for years.  I have not ysed it very much, but I have changed the blade before when I wnated to cut some metal fence posts.  Best I can remember all i did was stick a screwdriver into the teeth so the blade would not turn then unscrew the bolt holding the blade on.  So last night when I went to change the blade the bolt would spin the motor instead of unscrew even when the blade was locked in place.

So I went and got my dads circular saw and the exact same thing happened with it.

So WTF am I doing wrong?

It should have a locking mechanism....what kind is it?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
On most any saw I've seen, you should have an arbor lock button.  You push the button, rotate the blade until the arbor locks, then turn the arbor nut in the direction the blade would turn while in use.  Presto.

Reply/Quote
If you can't find the directions, visit a store that sells your brand saw or a small appliance repair shop.
Reply/Quote
If it is an older style circular saw, or even just a cheap newer one that doesn't have an arbor lock, there is another way to accomplish the task. Take a pair of channel lock pliers, pinch the blade tightly, turn the arbor nut.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2017, 03:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: i have owned a cirular saw for years.  I have not ysed it very much, but I have changed the blade before when I wnated to cut some metal fence posts.  Best I can remember all i did was stick a screwdriver into the teeth so the blade would not turn then unscrew the bolt holding the blade on.  So last night when I went to change the blade the bolt would spin the motor instead of unscrew even when the blade was locked in place.

So WTF am I doing wrong?

Pretty sure most circular saws are reversed thread. Make sure you are turning the right way.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2017, 05:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If it is an older style circular saw, or even just a cheap newer one that doesn't have an arbor lock, there is another way to accomplish the task.  Take a pair of channel lock pliers, pinch the blade tightly, turn the arbor nut.

Yup.....and seems like I remember some old ones that had a flat spot on the shaft coming out of the motor that you could wedge to hold?  Maybe it was another tool I am thinking of.

(04-05-2017, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty sure most circular saws are reversed thread. Make sure you are turning the right way.

I think you're right.....but you always turn the nut in the direction the blade turns when in use.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2017, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty sure most circular saws are reversed thread. Make sure you are turning the right way.

^^This

It's not lefty loosey, righty tighty...
Reply/Quote

yup
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2017, 03:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: i have owned a cirular saw for years. I have not ysed it very much, but I have changed the blade before when I wnated to cut some metal fence posts. Best I can remember all i did was stick a screwdriver into the teeth so the blade would not turn then unscrew the bolt holding the blade on. So last night when I went to change the blade the bolt would spin the motor instead of unscrew even when the blade was locked in place.

So WTF am I doing wrong?

Pee on it.

Reply/Quote
If you can't fix it with duct tape.....it ain't broke.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2017, 09:35 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It's not lefty loosey, righty tighty...

How dare you talk that way about my left hand.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How dare you talk that way about my left hand.
Your lefty's tight,eh?

NIIIIICE!
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 07:48 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Pee on it.

Totally this. Worked for me. The uric acid in urine works better on corrosion than WD40.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 09:03 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Your lefty's tight,eh?

NIIIIICE!

Yep.  I am bi-handed.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 01:27 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Totally this. Worked for me. The uric acid in urine works better on corrosion than WD40.

I took your BAD advice trying to loosen the corroded terminals on an outlet.  Look what happened to me!

[Image: Yahoo%20Serious.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 10:49 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I took your BAD advice trying to loosen the corroded terminals on an outlet.  Look what happened to me!

[Image: Yahoo%20Serious.jpg]

next time flip the breaker first lol
Reply/Quote