Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on my car
I have to turn the ignition twice all the time in order for it to start. What could be the problem? Anyone else have this problem or have had it?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 11:21 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I have to turn the ignition twice all the time in order for it to start. What could be the problem? Anyone else have this problem or have had it?

Depends on the year, make and model of your car.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
What happens the first time?

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 08:37 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: What happens the first time?

Nothing.

Duh.

Ninja
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 03:12 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Depends on the year, make and model of your car.

Yup....multitude of potential issues here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 11:21 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I have to turn the ignition twice all the time in order for it to start. What could be the problem? Anyone else have this problem or have had it?

Could be many things From:
A bad Wire
Iginition Switch going bad
Starter Going bad
Failure to crank it all the way.
Not enough juice from the battery (is it older than 4 years)
etc.
Reply/Quote

Newer vehicle likely a computer issue.

Older vehicle a number of things to include your flywheel.

Provide us with more details and the fine folks here can point you in the right direction:

Make/model of vehicle

Does it do it once the engine has been running/ cold engine, or both

The sound the vehicle makes on the first attempt

Bank account number and ATM PIN
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Have you checked the muffler belt?  Is it tight or loose?  Missing teeth?  What about the blinker fluid? Is it full? Is it dirty?  Does it stink?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
its likely your Johnson Rod.
Reply/Quote
It is a 2008 Chevy Malibu. Engine runs great.
Reply/Quote
I just had an oil change a month ago and they said all my fluids were fine.
Reply/Quote
BengalHawk is right.  Double check that blinker fluid.

[Image: maplecrest-evard1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
unforantely ignition issues are nothing new with GM i believe i had to replace my starter and ignition switch in my Grand Prix as well as a ton of other things.

GM they look nice but on the inside are crap. and i still miss my grand prix's (2)
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 05:46 PM)packerbacker Wrote: It is a 2008 Chevy Malibu. Engine runs great.

Was there a recall on it? We have a 2008 HHR and they recalled it to replace the ignition switch (our car always started, though.)
Reply/Quote
On the first attempt, is the motor turning over and just not firing, or is it dead nothing on the first turn ?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 07:58 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: On the first attempt,  is the motor turning over and just not firing, or is it dead nothing on the first turn ?

It is dead on the first turn. The second it starts up normal. It's weird.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 07:44 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Was there a recall on it? We have a 2008 HHR and they recalled it to replace the ignition switch (our car always started, though.)

There was. It was recalled last September. Everything was fine.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 05:46 PM)packerbacker Wrote: It is a 2008 Chevy Malibu. Engine runs great.

Coil packs

You can get them absurdly cheap on ebay. And, it is an easy job that most anyone can perform.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I had a 2000 malibu once. By the time i got rid of it, i was having to get underneath the car and bang my fist on the fuel tank to get the fuel pump thing to unstick or something.....oh lord i hated that car.

Have nothing helpful to contribute to this conversation, just wanted to share.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Coil packs

You can get them absurdly cheap on ebay.  And, it is an easy job that most anyone can perform.

What are they? Sorry if this is a dumb question. What do they do?
Reply/Quote