Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions Regarding our 3rd LB Spot
S is most important position our S play was huge reason we gave up so many big plays last year. S is a huge need if we want to win a SB next season it needs to be addressed not with just a guy either
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 02:39 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: S is most important position our S play was huge reason we gave up so many big plays last year. S is a huge need if we want to win a SB next season it needs to be addressed not with just a guy either

? they've already invested in safety. Battle looks very good, Dax is decent and still young. Safety is fine. Corner is more of an issue, Defensive tackle is much more of an issue. the safeties and linebackers are fine

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 02:39 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: S is most important position our S play was huge reason we gave up so many big plays last year. S is a huge need if we want to win a SB next season it needs to be addressed not with just a guy either

Battle was good once they got Scott largely off the field. He still needs to improve, but it's largely just from a knowledge, experience, and communication standpoint.
Dax was bad, but you don't give up on a 1st round pick after 1 year of being a starter and he has seemingly all the physical tools he could possibly need there.

They came into 2023 with a combined total of 131 snaps on defense in the NFL and both are entering their age 24 season for 2024. I would put money on (barring injury) Battle and Dax being our 2024 starters at safety come Week 1.

In no order of priority...
WR
TE
RB
RT
LG (though they probably won't)
NT
CB (if they don't bring back Awuzie)
P

Very little chance that upgrading over a young first-two-days draft pick at safety is a priority over any of those spots that need addressed this offseason.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 02:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In no order of priority...
WR
TE
RB
RT
LG (though they probably won't)
NT
CB (if they don't bring back Awuzie)
P

Very little chance that upgrading over a young first-two-days draft pick at safety is a priority over any of those spots that need addressed this offseason.

I agree

perspective is a funny thing. I usually can see both sides, but I cant understand how somebody thinks SAFETY is the priority on defense 

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 11:24 PM)J24 Wrote: LB is an underrated need particularly a passing down LB. Both Pratt and Wilson struggled last season.  So adding a guy who can cover RBs and TEs wouldn't be the worst idea. Also Pratt was a 2 down player who struggled in a full time role last season(at least according to PFF). Ideally we would re-sign ADG but if not I would kick the tires on Isiah Simmons LB from the Giants.

I do like the thought of adding Isiaah Simmons. Just don't see it happening. Both Pratt and Wilson will play better as the new Secondary 
gels and the communication gets better. They didn't just forget how to play football and they are paid for years to come.

(02-15-2024, 12:58 PM)kalibengal Wrote: When they signed Harper, I figured they were preparing to let ADG walk. Harper has similar attributes etc.   

Really? I know nothing of Harper.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 02:47 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: ? they've already invested in safety. Battle looks very good, Dax is decent and still young. Safety is fine. Corner is more of an issue, Defensive tackle is much more of an issue. the safeties and linebackers are fine

The truth from Booth.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 10:48 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Negative..Mixon is not going anywhere after restructuring last year...Brown is the future starter...draft another 4rh/5th rounder to develop...there is absolutely no reason to use that high of a pick on RB...also there will be multiple options in FA firvthe cheap if you want an experienced guy
They save 6 million if they cut Mixon before the 17th he;s due a 3 million roster bonus.....they not gonna pay him 9 million this year...well 8.85 if you wanna be exact. not gonna happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 03:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I do like the thought of adding Isiaah Simmons. Just don't see it happening. Both Pratt and Wilson will play better as the new Secondary 
gels and the communication gets better. They didn't just forget how to play football and they are paid for years to come.

Really? I know nothing of Harper.

Pratt played a lot better in 2022 as a 2down player finding another coverage LB (at a reasonable price,) should be a priority.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 05:13 PM)J24 Wrote: Pratt played a lot better in 2022 as a 2down player finding another coverage LB (at a reasonable price,) should be a priority.

Not going to argue with that. Would be nice if we brought in a cover Backer and had Pratt go back to a 2 down Backer, just saying I 
doubt we do it. We paid both our LB's pretty big money, just hope Pratt gets better in coverage this year and tackles better instead of
holding up the ball carrier trying to rip at the ball all the time.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 05:13 PM)J24 Wrote: Pratt played a lot better in 2022 as a 2down player finding another coverage LB (at a reasonable price,) should be a priority.

That's why I mentioned Edgerrin Cooper and  Payton Wilson would be good in coverage too.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 07:09 PM)pulses Wrote: That's why I mentioned Edgerrin Cooper and  Payton Wilson would be good in coverage too.

Yeah I wouldn't mind either one of those guys in the 3rd to 5th rounds. A interesting guy to consider would be James Williams from Miami U . Former Safety who's 6-5  220 and super Athletic!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 07:13 PM)J24 Wrote: Yeah I wouldn't mind either one of those guys in the 3rd to 5th rounds. A interesting guy to consider would be James Williams from Miami U . Former Safety who's 6-5  220 and super Athletic!

Yeah i like him too nfldraftbuzz has him listed as a Man Zone Slot/Nickel Safety.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 07:09 PM)pulses Wrote: That's why I mentioned Edgerrin Cooper and  Payton Wilson would be good in coverage too.

I just had the Bengals taking Wilson with their second round pick in my mock: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Bengals-Board-Mock-Draft-Challenge-February?pid=1456296#pid1456296

I'm liking him more and more when reading about him. Some depth wouldn't hurt to add a rotation with Wilson/Pratt/New Guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bailey (I think will be re-signed) is LB3 if ADG goes, as he is Logan Wilson lite.

When he stepped in in 2020 and '21, he played very well in all facets, albeit with a smaller sample size.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 10:35 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Bailey (I think will be re-signed) is LB3 if ADG goes, as he is Logan Wilson lite.

When he stepped in in 2020 and '21, he played very well in all facets, albeit with a smaller sample size.

Markus Bailey is an underrated player for us, so much that I forget his name at times. But all he does is play well.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 02:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: First off, my post clearly puts RT & DT/NT above WR3. And a pass rushing DT equal. Did you not see that? 

I don't think Jones nor Iosivas showed they are ready to start yet. Irwin is OK v zone but cannot shaky sticky man to man. We play 3 ir 4 WR often. I think a Boyd replacement is a fairly obvious need.

I mean, Boyd had more yards than Irwin, Yoshi, and Jones combined. 

Boyd: 67 for 667 
Irwin: 25 for 316 
Yoshi: 15 for 116 
Jones: 7 for 64 

Beyond Murphy & Newton, I am not in love with the DT classes pass rushers. And we need RT in Rd1. I could see DT in Rd2/Rd3/Rd4. But the WR class is deeper. And we also need TE and DB depth. 

I think Rd1 or paying big money for WR3 is not happening. But spending a Day2 pick is certainly in play. We need more non-Chase dynasism on offense. Guys like Legette, Polk, Worhy, Walker, Roman Wilson, Pearsall, Corley, or McMillan make sense to me in Rd2-4. 

Picking the RT/WR/TE in the draft allows you to use your cap to make a run at established guys at DT. If you think DT is more important, you should go FA at that spot to get a surer thing. 

What you prioritize does not fit how you are going about it. 

Again, we have 6 needs that I would be willing to spend significant capital on: $$ or Rd1-3 draft: WR2, DT/NT run defender, RT, DT pass rush, WR3, and TE.

Depending in how we attack FA and contract negotiations, I'd expect at least 3 big FA signings, but it could only be 2 with 2-3 smaller ones instead. So, 3-5 in FA + 3 high draft picks = 6-8.

I didn't see a bunch of opportunity given to Jones and Yoshi! Put Jones and Yoshi on the Chiefs, and give us their third, fourth, or fifth receivers and they'd still would have won the championship! Either Yoshi and Jones is enough for Burrow and he can elevate them as Maholmes would have or he cant! No way would Bengals fans been happy with 

Kelce
Rice
MVS
and whoever the 4th and 5th receivers are for KC but they would have made it happen! 

Chase, Tee, Jones, Irwin, and Yoshi should be enough to win, simple as that! Bengal's fans believe we need 4-5 great receivers, trying to find the last time a team with 4-5 great receivers won the superbowl....
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 03:11 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I agree

perspective is a funny thing. I usually can see both sides, but I cant understand how somebody thinks SAFETY is the priority on defense 

Because some wanna ASSUME that Dax is a bust already and they don't have a clue. He'll have a good season this year IMO.
Reply/Quote
To me, there is a need to draft a WR every year. Not saying round 1, but 2-3-4 round depending on where we pick. It insures that we would have a steady stable of talent.

To me, the interior D line is a major problem and has to be priority 1. We have no NT and no interior pass rusher. If we come away from FA without an impact guy in the middle, it's going to be a long year.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 10:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: To me, the interior D line is a major problem and has to be priority 1.  We have no NT and no interior pass rusher.  If we come away from FA without an impact guy in the middle, it's going to be a long year.

Not to mention BJ Hill is on the last year of his contract.  The Bengals needed to add a couple of good DTs even before Reader went down.  They have to address the DT spot with 2 or 3 guys.  Even if Reader is re-signed they need to add at least 1 interior pass rusher that the defense is missing and probably a second to provide depth and take over when Hill's contract is up.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 10:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: To me, there is a need to draft a WR every year.   Not saying round 1, but 2-3-4 round depending on where we pick.  It insures that we would have a steady stable of talent.

To me, the interior D line is a major problem and has to be priority 1.  We have no NT and no interior pass rusher.  If we come away from FA without an impact guy in the middle, it's going to be a long year.

WR's can be good ST'ers as well and yes, the interior DL needs to be priority #1 with 2 new players, one at NT and one at 3-tech.

(02-22-2024, 12:32 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Not to mention BJ Hill is on the last year of his contract.  The Bengals needed to add a couple of good DTs even before Reader went down.  They have to address the DT spot with 2 or 3 guys.  Even if Reader is re-signed they need to add at least 1 interior pass rusher that the defense is missing and probably a second to provide depth and take over when Hill's contract is up.

Spot on. I like BJ Hill a lot but he is not a pure pass rushing 3-tech, just a good player and can do it all well. Reader is hurt and will take
time to heal. We need a couple great moves at DT to get this Defense up to par in the trenches and help the Ends, LB's and back end.
Reply/Quote