Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Andy Dalton Question
Had a friend tell me the Bills offered the Bengals a 2nd round pick for Andy in 2017. I don't ever remember hearing that. Any truth to this?
Reply/Quote
Never heard that and that would not have been a smart trade
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I didn't hear anything about it, but I'm glad we didn't do it. Dalton is worth way more than a 2nd round pick.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 11:21 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Never heard that and that would not have been a smart trade

Who knows, that could have very well meant we go with Patrick Mahomes in the first round instead of John Ross.

What would you prefer: Andy and JR or Pat and one of the 2nd round WRs with Buffalo's pick (Zay Jones, Chris Samuel, JuJu)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Speaking of Ross, why don't we use him like Hill? If he's so electric why are we not trying to get the ball in this kids hands.
Reply/Quote
Wonder if we could get a half eaten order of Buffalo wings.....some double dipped blue cheese....and a couple soggy celery sticks for Merv?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:21 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Speaking of Ross, why don't we use him like Hill? If he's so electric why are we not trying to get the ball in this kids hands.

We are. He just gets hurt every time we do. Tyler Eifert thinks the kid is too injury prone

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who knows, that could have very well meant we go with Patrick Mahomes in the first round instead of John Ross.

What would you prefer: Andy and JR or Pat and one of the 2nd round WRs with Buffalo's pick (Zay Jones, Chris Samuel, JuJu)

Andy and JR, with a coaching staff that knows how to use them.

Having Mahomes sounds great, but with Marvin as the HC, he wouldn't have the success he is having now.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:24 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Andy and JR, with a coaching staff that knows how to use them.

Having Mahomes sounds great, but with Marvin as the HC, he wouldn't have the success he is having now.

You don't get to invent option C; simply choose between the 2 provided.

You're just making this up. You have 0 idea how Mahomes would do here. Marvin's only ever had 2 QBs in his tenure here. 

BTW, how would a coaching staff know how to use JR differently than we do. 

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:24 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Andy and JR, with a coaching staff that knows how to use them.

There's absolutely ZERO doubt that Andy Reid is by far a superior offensive coach than anyone on this staff......especially the HC.  So, I'd say you have a pretty good point.  Lazor has done well, but I think teams are catching on to what he has done to mask the holes in the oline.

Mahommes would probably still look pretty good, he just has too many physical tools not to, but he would not be exhibiting the dominance he has shown thus far.  I also think they would be more creative with Ross.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Mahommes would probably still look pretty good, he just has too many physical tools not to, but he would not be exhibiting the dominance he has shown thus far.  I also think they would be more creative with Ross.

This is one thing I have been disgruntled with for years. AD to AJ, over and over and over. Forced passes that really never had a chance. Dalton needs to check the field and quit knowing who he is going to go to on plays. Last night was horrible. Although he seemed to be checking the field this year, he declined severely last night. Boyd is a good if not great receiver. Ross can be to if you dont quit on him. Uzomah can catch as well. I'm starting to buy into the thought of Tate at TE. I think he would be a plus. Won't happen though.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 04:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This is one thing I have been disgruntled with for years. AD to AJ, over and over and over. Forced passes that really never had a chance. Dalton needs to check the field and quit knowing who he is going to go to on plays. Last night was horrible. Although he seemed to be checking the field this year, he declined severely last night. Boyd is a good if not great receiver. Ross can be to if you dont quit on him. Uzomah can catch as well. I'm starting to buy into the thought of Tate at TE. I think he would be a plus. Won't happen though.

Here's a good explanation I found in the GameDay thread....funny no one even mentioned it, probably because it was logical and not chock full of emotion.....lol

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Week-7-GameDay-Thread-Bengals-Chiefs?pid=618039#pid618039

As this post points out, there really isn't enough time to scan the field.  There was also some crazy stat about any throws that took over 2.5 seconds by the Bengals last night.  It seems defenses have caught up to Lazor....we'll see what he can figure out.  Injuries haven't helped him either.

I haven't seen much out of John Ross.  Certainly not enough to warrant a #9 pick.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:21 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Speaking of Ross, why don't we use him like Hill? If he's so electric why are we not trying to get the ball in this kids hands.

Ross hasnt done anything electric in the NFL.

But let's assume Ross is as electric as Hill. Heck even better, let's say we had Hill on this team. My question is does anyone think the Bengals would use Hill as effectively as the Chiefs do if they had drafted him? I don't think so, at least like how the Chiefs use him. Maybe if Hue was still OC, then Hue would. But now though, ehh.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 03:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You don't get to invent option C; simply choose between the 2 provided.

You're just making this up. You have 0 idea how Mahomes would do here. Marvin's only ever had 2 QBs in his tenure here. 

BTW, how would a coaching staff know how to use JR differently than we do. 

Sorry I thought you understood what I was saying.  I didn't mean for it to sound like I was inventing option C.

Just that knowing what we have in our coaching staff I wouldn't touch Mahomes with a ten foot pole.

Give me Andy and JR.  At least we know we can and will have some success with them over DeShaun Watson, I mean, Dak Prescott, no that's not it... Oh right, Patrick Mahomes.  Mahomes is the flavor of the season, it will be interesting to see if he can keep up the success or not.

I do know that Dalton can scramble around and make plays with his feet and he can also run for a first down, just like Mahomes BUT Marvin doesn't like his QBs to do stuff like that.  Mike as well.  The reason is that it is too easy for the QB to get hurt.  The question soon becomes "For how much longer....", some outliers are guys like Cam Newton, but even he slows down a LOT as the season progresses and many Panthers fans wonder when that next hit will be that last one, (I live very close to Charlotte BTW).

As a side, I think that the new rules are assisting some QBs a ton.  I have seen a few times our DLine having the QB dead to rights, only to slow up allowing the QB to either run right by them or "make a great throw under duress".  Maybe they are overthinking the tackle, not wanting to hurt the team by giving up a 15 yard penalty instead of a sack.  Almost like they think it better to allow the QB to throw the ball and hope it is incomplete.  Yes Mahomes would benefit greatly from this rule, something we didn't know would be implemented when he was drafted.

How JR should be used is not just as a speed guy streaking downfield, but also as an actual WR running his routes.  Get him moving around pre snap and basing the route on the coverage.  Hill is used like this and look at the success everyone else is having with him being moved around so much.  A lot of the reason Hill is so hard to keep up with is because he is already moving and running before the ball is snapped and the defender is trying to follow him.  JR could do similar and have good to great success.  The only real question mark is his durability.  Though our medical staff has me questioning some things sometimes. 
Reply/Quote

What makes you think Ross can play like Hill? Hill does a lot more than run fast in a straight line on a track.

Reply/Quote