Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Question
And honest question. Should Alford be guaranteed a spot? In Hobs latest roster tease, it sure sounds like it.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Roster-jobs-on-full-boil/071e0dce-6bc9-4d9e-8226-1e6c2113f71a

Now honestly, has anyone seen anything out of him that they think wouldn't let sign him to the practice squad?

I don't know about the depth after the big 3, but when in doubt, go with the players with production. If Alford can't help us in the return game (which needs a spark), then I'm not sold he should make the 53. Since when does a 7th round pick guaranteed a spot?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Yes, Alford is a lock. Surprised he didn't say Little is a lock.

Then there's Moore, Tate, and Kumerow. I don't see much reason to keep Tate anymore, honestly. Gio, Alford, and Pacman all have the ability to return the ball and produce on offense or defense as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 08:39 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yes, Alford is a lock. Surprised he didn't say Little is a lock.

Then there's Moore, Tate, and Kumerow. I don't see much reason to keep Tate anymore, honestly. Gio, Alford, and Pacman all have the ability to return the ball and produce on offense or defense as well.

I'd be good with Green, Jones, Sanu, Little, Alford, Kumerow.

Jones for punts

Gio & Alford for kickoffs
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:04 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I'd be good with Green, Jones, Sanu, Little, Alford, Kumerow.

Jones for punts

Gio & Alford for kickoffs

I would be very very surprised if Tate doesn't make this team.

Our punt returners have not looked great in the first two games.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I would be very very surprised if Tate doesn't make this team.

This ^^

The FO has given legitimate opportunity for someone to knock Tate off of the roster, and no one has taken advantage of the opportunity.  I'm not saying Tate has shined either, just that he is a known commodity and the unknowns have not given a sense they can do better.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:26 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: This ^^

The FO has given legitimate opportunity for someone to knock Tate off of the roster, and no one has taken advantage of the opportunity.  I'm not saying Tate has shined either, just that he is a known commodity and the unknowns have not given a sense they can do better.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tate got put in for Kumerow, but I think Gio and Alford will become better options.  We just need to give an opportunity.  Alford for his speed and Gio for his elusiveness.

Tate is sure-handed though...
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I would be very very surprised if Tate doesn't make this team.

Agreed.  I might not like him, but he knows the system and is somewhat reliable to be at least solid at his job.  No one has really shined enough, IMHO, to take the 6th WR spot from him.  I hate that they didn't get a WR early in the draft, but it is what it is and I can't change it.  He is likely the best option. 
Reply/Quote
You guys keep saying Alford makes the team. But what have you guys seen this preseason that I haven't that guarantees a 7th round pick a spot on the 53? Is it because we don't have any better options? It can't be because you think he'll get claimed if we try to sign him to the practice squat. His tape this preseason isn't THAT good. I think it's a big two more games for him. If he still hasn't showed anything (as Hobs alluded to), I'm not sold a 7th round pick gets a guaranteed roster spot. Marvin Jones can run reverses.

Look for us to still sign/claim a receiver after final cuts. If were desperate enough to give a spot on the 53 to a 7th round pick, who hasn't shown anything (and at the very least was suppose to be an option as a return man which he is not) then that says a lot about our depth at WR.

Reply/Quote

Every year fans hope Tate is replaced as new WR's and return me vie to steal his job. So far, he simply outplays them all and why he still has a job.

His job is special teams first and WR second. As of now, I have not seen anyone close to being better in the pre-season.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:29 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Tate got put in for Kumerow, but I think Gio and Alford will become better options.  We just need to give an opportunity.  Alford for his speed and Gio for his elusiveness.

Tate is sure-handed though...

gio might have elusiveness but he sure didnt show it on his couple punt return attempts in game 1 just kinda danced in place untilled tackled. He actually made me miss tate back there.
Reply/Quote
Tate is certainly looking underrated this preseason as it relates to return capabilities.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 12:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: You guys keep saying Alford makes the team. But what have you guys seen this preseason that I haven't that guarantees a 7th round pick a spot on the 53? Is it because we don't have any better options? It can't be because you think he'll get claimed if we try to sign him to the practice squat. His tape this preseason isn't THAT good. I think it's a big two more games for him. If he still hasn't showed anything (as Hobs alluded to), I'm not sold a 7th round pick gets a guaranteed roster spot. Marvin Jones can run reverses.

Look for us to still sign/claim a receiver after final cuts. If were desperate enough to give a spot on the 53 to a 7th round pick, who hasn't shown anything (and at the very least was suppose to be an option as a return man which his is not) then that says a lot about our depth at WR.

I agree with what you are saying about how thin the talent is after the top 3, however I don't see the decision getting made on just a few dozen snaps in pre season games.  The coaches have seen hundreds of reps in practice, so pretty much anything could happen.  

And I think if Alford doesn't make our roster he clears waivers for our practice squad.  I like the guy a lot, but I don't think other teams will be that eager to sign a project player that has not shown much in games.

After Green, Saun, and Jones I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the other guys either make it or get cut.  Last year we kept a 7th round pick who barely played in college.

I really felt good about Moor when we signed him.  He was in the doghouse in Oakland, but he was also just one year removed from putting up decent numbers as a legitimates NFL deep threat.  But either he was injured worse than was reported last year or else his head is no longer in the game.  I had him written in as one of the best #4 WRs in the league, and now he looks like a long shot to even make the roster.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 01:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: gio might have elusiveness but he sure didnt show it on his couple punt return attempts in game 1 just kinda danced in place untilled tackled.   He actually made me miss tate back there.

Some times return men "dance" because there is no where to go.  

I have not been impressed with Gio as a return man yet, but he has always seemed to have the skills needed, so I am willing to keep working with him back there.

With the loss of Terrance Newman Adam Jones is more valuable as a starting CB.  I'd like to see him not do any returns at all.  But he is so damn dangerous we could still use him in desperation situations a handful of times a year.  

Adam is one of the best return men in NFL history when you look at both PR and KR.  Only 4 other players in NFL history can match him with a career KR avg over 26 yds and a PR avg over 10.  He also has 2 interception returns over 60 yards long.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 01:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: gio might have elusiveness but he sure didnt show it on his couple punt return attempts in game 1 just kinda danced in place untilled tackled.   He actually made me miss tate back there.

He's kind of looked the same running the ball as well. It may just be me, but I feel like Gio hasn't really looked the same since the Indy game. He's made a few good plays here and there but overall he seems to have fallen off since then. 5 of the last 8 games, including the Indy one, he averaged under 3 YAC.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 08:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: And honest question. Should Alford be guaranteed a spot? In Hobs latest roster tease, it sure sounds like it.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Roster-jobs-on-full-boil/071e0dce-6bc9-4d9e-8226-1e6c2113f71a

Now honestly, has anyone seen anything out of him that they think wouldn't let sign him to the practice squad?

I don't know about the depth after the big 3, but when in doubt, go with the players with production. If Alford can't help us in the return game (which needs a spark), then I'm not sold he should make the 53. Since when does a 7th round pick guaranteed a spot?
His speed alone will give him a spot and a chance to prove himself.  It might not happen every game but I feel he will make some splash plays for us. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
In this next preseason game, I wish they'd put Moore, Little, and Kumerow in for a series or two with Dalton and the rest of the #1s.

I don't think we can see what they've got until they play with 1s against 1s.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 07:27 PM)Shady Wrote: In this next preseason game, I wish they'd put Moore, Little, and Kumerow in for a series or two with Dalton and the rest of the #1s.

I don't think we can see what they've got until they play with 1s against 1s.

Seems like the most accurate way to assess a guy.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think Alford makes it. I know everybody is sort of pulling for Kumerow, me included. But what they like about Tate is his ability to always catch the ball. He's unspectacular, but dependable. Whether we like it or not, he probably makes it
Reply/Quote
Honestly, Alford hasn't even done enough for the practice squad. MJ can run reverses. Not sure why he's getting a pass from fans on this board. After yet another game I ask...What has he done as a 7th round pick to be guaranteed a roster spot?

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 08:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: And honest question. Should Alford be guaranteed a spot? In Hobs latest roster tease, it sure sounds like it.

I think he is likely a lock, but like others, I am not sure the better long term solution is Kumerow. My fear is we keep Alford and Tate and we lose Kumerow to another team
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote