Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quinton Flowers - an interesting addition to the rookie class
It's nice to root for guys like this. But he has a steep hill to climb if he doesn't want to be like that white D-3 receiver we had on our PS for 3 years.

Even if he were good enough for a spot on the roster, the Bengals are loyal to tenured players to a fault.

He'd have to be god level at something (which is unlikely given that he's learning multiple position instead of one) and then lighting would have to hit the same spot 10 times for him to even have a shot.

His best shot is probably WR. There's a chance that there we'll still lack production from everyone not named AJ Green. Maybe he takes Boyd's spot?
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with giving the guy the opportunity to make it big on the team at any position he may fit in at.. There have been plenty of players who went on to find success at different positions . The fact that he was once a QB in college means very little if he's switched to a different position or even multiple positions as long as they don't attempt to make him an offensive tackle at 5'10".. Then again he might grow 5 or 6 inches over the summer although I kind of doubt that's gonna happen . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 08:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: One thing Flowers has going for him, if he makes the roster as the 4th running back, it makes it easier for the team to run with 2 QB's instead of 3 and Flowers can be the emergency 3rd option....which means we can carry an extra WR, DL, LB etc...

Yes sir, he is a flexable player. Find a way to keep him on the team. Said it in the backup QB thread he reminds me
of a right handed Mike Vick and i know some of you guys will get mad at me for saying this i like Flowers throwing
motion better than Lamar Jackson's, smoother.

(05-13-2018, 12:00 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Flowers seems ideal on jet sweeps,direct snaps, bubble screens
package him Gio and Ross on the field at the same time
direct snap to him fake jet sweep to Ross then let Flowers get outside hashmarks with RPO
make him the 3rd QB and cut Barkley

Love it, sounds like one hell of a formation to stop with that speed and quickness.

Explosive.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 12:58 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: A 5’10 QB lol no thanks

Shorties have so much to prooooooooooooooooove..... don't get him started, he might even replace.. wait for it... DALTON in 2 yrs!! OMG
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 06:23 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Shorties have so much to prooooooooooooooooove..... don't get him started, he might even replace.. wait for it... DALTON in 2 yrs!! OMG

Lol I’d be least one shocked at Dalton gettin replaced within two years but shit Marvin is going on what 15 16 it’s been so long i forgot. This is Andy’s last make or break year........ hopefully
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 06:23 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Shorties have so much to prooooooooooooooooove..... don't get him started, he might even replace.. wait for it... DALTON in 2 yrs!! OMG

I like Dalton. However, if someone earns the spot? Well, you gotta go with the best player at that time. Would not be much hate from many. Dalton has been a part of a winning, but losing program for years. Like Marvin, he has failed to take us to the next level. Whatever happens, happens.

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 03:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Said it in the backup QB thread he reminds me of a right handed Mike Vick and i know some of you guys will get mad at me for saying this i like Flowers throwing motion better than Lamar Jackson's, smoother.

I think you got it backwards, homie. 

Jackson is more like Vick and his motion is much more smooth than Flowers. When Flowers is on the move, his delivery is more smooth. When he's standing in the pocket or when he gets his feet set, his motion is much more deliberate, like he's loading up and guiding the ball instead of just throwing it. Jackson has a smooth delivery in any position.

With that said, i don't think either of them will become consistent pocket passers.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 08:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: One thing Flowers has going for him, if he makes the roster as the 4th running back, it makes it easier for the team to run with 2 QB's instead of 3 and Flowers can be the emergency 3rd option....which means we can carry an extra WR, DL, LB etc...

I'm rooting for Flowers to actually make the team.  How nice would it be to be able to have a Wildcat package, some double passes, and other assorted goodies to take advantage of this guy's obviously high football IQ, in addition to his physical abilities?

Have you ever seen Russell Wilson play?  Besides, if you're down to your 3rd string, emergency QB, you're pretty much screwed anyway.  Might as well make that 3rd QB a guy that you can use elsewhere in the offense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

LaDainian Tomlinson was 5'10 and threw for 7 TDs over the course of his career. Not saying he is the next LT but maybe that is the sort of role they are thinking -- like Sanu except for RB.

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 08:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Have you ever seen Russell Wilson play?  Besides, if you're down to your 3rd string, emergency QB, you're pretty much screwed anyway.  Might as well make that 3rd QB a guy that you can use elsewhere in the offense.

Exactly!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 01:41 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Best case Practice squad

Could def use him in wild cat formations but i just don’t see how he makes the 53

practice squad will be a good spot for this year I don't see a spot on the 53 right now either unless something opens up
Reply/Quote
He is probably a PS player this year with the opportunity to make the team in the future. I just don't see the numbers working for him unless there is an injury at HB.
Reply/Quote
I have a hunch he's one of the players Marvin wants to get some NFL game tape in preseason to give a better shot at getting signed with A team not necessarily the Bengals.  I don't have any problems with this approach . It's saying that we probably don't have room on our roster, but someone else will so make the best of your time . Now if he really stands out on the field above all others they'll make room for him through hook or crook.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 07:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I like Dalton. However, if someone earns the spot? Well, you gotta go with the best player at that time. Would not be much hate from many. Dalton has been a part of a winning, but losing program for years. Like Marvin, he has failed to take us to the next level. Whatever happens, happens.

Can you imagine how great Flowers would have to play in order for him to supplant Dalton? I can't imagine ANYONE complaining if that were to happen.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 07:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think you got it backwards, homie. 

Jackson is more like Vick and his motion is much more smooth than Flowers. When Flowers is on the move, his delivery is more smooth. When he's standing in the pocket or when he gets his feet set, his motion is much more deliberate, like he's loading up and guiding the ball instead of just throwing it. Jackson has a smooth delivery in any position.

With that said, i don't think either of them will become consistent pocket passers.

Granted it was the first time i watched anything of Flowers but i never liked Lamar's throwing motion.

Maybe its just me.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2018, 03:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Can you imagine how great Flowers would have to play in order for him to supplant Dalton? I can't imagine ANYONE complaining if that were to happen.
It wouldn't be easy to earn that's for sure.

Reply/Quote
We've carried 4 RBs for a while. Three are a lock. I believe Flowers only has to battle Brian Hill and Tra Carson. If Flowers can offer up something in the receiving and/or return game, then I could see him making the roster. We can also save about $1.5 million if we release Hewitt. If Cethan Carter takes over the few snaps Hewitt plays, that opens up a spot. Also, the Bengals want to go back to carrying 2 QBs, so that's another spot. Flowers could serve as an emergency 3rd QB if injuries derail us in a game. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Flowers' versatility will be his only chance to make 53 man roster this year. Don't see Bengals cutting a 4th round pick (Walton), so Flowers has to beat out Brian Hill (who I was impressed with in his short stint last year). Could very easily see him getting stashed on the practice squad though. Down the road, I like the idea of your 3rd or 4th RB also being able to be your emergency #3 QB.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 12:58 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We've carried 4 RBs for a while. Three are a lock. I believe Flowers only has to battle Brian Hill and Tra Carson. If Flowers can offer up something in the receiving and/or return game, then I could see him making the roster. We can also save about $1.5 million if we release Hewitt. If Cethan Carter takes over the few snaps Hewitt plays, that opens up a spot. Also, the Bengals want to go back to carrying 2 QBs, so that's another spot. Flowers could serve as an emergency 3rd QB if injuries derail us in a game. 

Peerman was a ST player, not really a RB option.  If we get his ST production from another position then we might carry a 4th RB.
Reply/Quote