Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quinton Spain Believes He's the NFL's Most Underrated Player!

Quote:Bengals guard Quinton Spain has always had a chip on his shoulder.

The 29-year-old calls himself "Mr. Undrafted" for a reason.

Spain has been a productive player after signing with the Titans as an undrafted free agent out of West Virginia in 2015.

The Bengals signed Spain in November after he was released by the Bills. They brought him back on a one-year deal this offseason.

"Prove it year again, I been there before I know how to handle it," Spain tweeted after agreeing to the contract.

The veteran will battle for the starting left guard spot. Despite dealing with adversity throughout his career, his confidence hasn't wavered.

Spain believes he's the NFL's most underrated player.

"Mr. Undrafted but that going to change this year," he tweeted in response to a question from the NFL's official Twitter account.

The Bengals would like nothing more than for Spain to re-establish himself as a high-end pass blocking guard. His best season was in 2016 when he finished with an 84.2 overall grade according to Pro Football Focus.

He finished with a 70 pass blocking grade or better in each of his first five seasons.

Spain hopes to get back to that level this year in Cincinnati.

I LOVE the confidence and I also LOVE it because the confidence will rub off on other players!

Our line is the biggest question mark and the biggest thing holding us back from a successful season, so Spain coming out and saying that will (hopefully) get the other players saying "I need to step my game up!"

This, of course, assumes that he can return to (or surpass) his highest level of play, but the first and biggest step is believing! Hopefully Pollack can get the most out of him and the other linemen since Turner was so bad!

I BELIEVE!
Reply/Quote
I believe I'm the world's most underpaid millionaire.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's good to have self confidence.
Reply/Quote
Enough talk. Get out there and perform. Actions speak louder.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 02:36 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Enough talk. Get out there and perform. Actions speak louder.

Obviously but he it's the offseason and confidence helps players improve and it helps the team.
Reply/Quote
I keep seeing all sorts of stats that seem to indicate Spain is a really good player.  Supposedly he hardly ever gave up a sack while playing for the Bills/Texans.

But they cut him last year and then despite there being a lot of film of his play with the Bengals he had to settle for a league minimum contract in free agency.

I generally trust the professional scouts of NFL teams a lot more than PFF and random stats.  So I don't have very high expectations for Spain this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 02:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Obviously but he it's the offseason and confidence helps players improve and it helps the team.

idk ZT has "Believed" since he got here and it hasnt gotten us anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 04:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: idk ZT has "Believed" since he got here and it hasnt gotten us anywhere.
Nervous 

Different circumstances? Ninja 
Reply/Quote
Joe Flacco believed he was an elite QB.
Reply/Quote
Well hopefully he is right;it would be nice to have a good IOL!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We will all be complaining about the o line 3 or 4 games int season.

When you have JB and cap space its hard to understand declining to put a lot more chips down on the o line.
Reply/Quote
Nice see he has some fight in his attitude. However, if his play doesn't back it up, at the end of the day it's still just bravado.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Like his confidence but do not think any Bengals O-linemen should be boasting about anything presently yet instead working there tail off.

Hope he is right and always pull for the underdog to come through.

But as of now Im not even positive Spain will be in starting lineup.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
We will see how Spain plays, he is definitely holding himself to a high standard this season.

I know lots will be slamming him for saying this. I already had him as a starting LG for us over XSF and having a good
year this year and surprising a lot of people, especially on this board. As you can tell, lots don't believe in him or Carman
at all, even Reiff who is a proven top vet OT.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 06:42 PM)bengals67 Wrote: We will all be complaining about the o line 3 or 4 games int season.

When you have JB and cap space its hard to understand declining to put a lot more chips down on the o line.

Unless they come out of the gate strong it will not take that long before the complaining begins after Bengals passed on Sewell.

Not judging pick, only stating that if O-line sux they'll be critiqued harshly and quickly. 

In fact will put the over and under at halftime of game one if they don't show immediate improvement and Burrow takes a couple big hits early.

Hopefully they are new and improved though and we only talk about how great they'll become throughout season.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 07:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see how Spain plays, he is definitely holding himself to a high standard this season.

I know lots will be slamming him for saying this. I already had him as a starting LG for us over XSF and having a good
year this year and surprising a lot of people, especially on this board. As you can tell, lots don't believe in him or Carman
at all, even Reiff who is a proven top vet OT.

I do believe that Reiff is a good addition and Jonah will come into his own and prove he is not made of glass.

Plus really like the Carman pick for where we drafted him yet Carman is a rookie and switching positions so there will be a few growing pains even if he is good. 

Would have loved to have gotten Sewell and Carman though. But once Burrow lobbied for Chase I canceled Christmas on that wish.
Yet do like Chase and wanting Sewell is no knock on him. Remember saying about Burrow before drafting that my only concern was that Chase may have been making him look better than he actually was. Glad Joe proved otherwise.

But just don't have faith in the other two o-lineman who will start until I witness it first hand.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 07:29 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Unless they come out of the gate strong it will not take that long before the complaining begins after Bengals passed on Sewell.

Not judging pick, only stating that if O-line sux they'll be critiqued harshly and quickly. 

In fact will put the over and under at halftime of game one if they don't show immediate improvement and Burrow takes a couple big hits early.

Hopefully they are new and improved though and we only talk about how great they'll become throughout season.  

Even if the Bengals took Penei Sewell Quinton Spain would still have been a starting guard....
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 07:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Even if the Bengals took Penei Sewell Quinton Spain would still have been a starting guard....

Hey, he never said the complaints around here would be rational lol.
Reply/Quote
Spain will start at LG this year.I can sort of understand Spain’s down year last season.Where he was brought in and just thrown into the mix and juggled around different positions.No Chemistry with the guys he was playing with.I believe his best year came while playing for the Titans,in which he didn’t give up a single sack after playing all of 16 games.
Reply/Quote
So Decastro is still a free agent…
Reply/Quote