Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quinton Spain Highlights
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HLKdtocGUy8

Imo, other film shows an “unspectacular” player who does his job i.e. low ceiling high floor type guy which is what we need for this team.

PFF grades him out well in pass blocking with all years being above 66-70 for all seasons except last year being a major dip in all categories which is consistent for a lot of players during covid. His run game doesn’t seem too impressive but it looks like he finds ways to get the job done.

I can see why some coaches don’t like this type of player - he doesn’t create more than what he is given and his type of blocking isn’t going to wow a lot but he doesn’t seem to make a lot of errors.

Methinks it might be a personality issue but those players typically find a home here.
Reply/Quote
Spain came in with zero practice and was shuffled all over the place. Once he was able to settle into one position (which was when XSF came back) the whole line looked a lot better. Spain and Carman should be a good Guard combo especially with XSF as first off the bench and not trash like Jordan.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin loved those sorts of players. Get 90% of the team as "do your job" guys, and that allows the handful of stars you have to really shine.

Reply/Quote
Admittedly it was a low bar previously with the like of Jackson, Price, Redmond but i Honestly thought he did not do too bad in the circumstances with being shifted around and i think he's good to have in the OL rotation.

He's got great size and i'm not taking it as a complete given that the Rookie and XSF start ahead of him
Reply/Quote
That was a most interesting tape! With respect to run blocking Quentin Spain is a much better guard than he is a right tackle but I must give the man props for his right tackle play in pass protection. He’s way better than Bobby Hart.
Reply/Quote
Spain is definitely an upgrade over what Jordan was last year.We also have an upgrade at RT.Jonah Williams is back and healthy.Just those three things alone make this OL better.
Reply/Quote
No way around he was a total disappointment last year.. hurt and did not play well so can only get better but how much is the question
Reply/Quote
At about 3:30 in this highlight clip he has no one to block so he peels back and levels Chase Young. I like the effort and looks like he is always looking to make a statement. Big man looks tough to move.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 06:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: Spain came in with zero practice and was shuffled all over the place. Once he was able to settle into one position (which was when XSF came back) the whole line looked a lot better. Spain and Carman should be a good Guard combo especially with XSF as first off the bench and not trash like Jordan.

Pretty much my thoughts. He’s not a “special” player talent-wise, but adds to the average sum of the parts rather than being massive weak link to the line. The line was clearly better with him being thrown into the fire on short notice just by adding competence to it.
Reply/Quote
I have no concerns with Spain starting. Everyone says the line sucked last year, and it did, but there were several lines. When XFS came back and he and Spain were the guards, the jailbreaks to the QB from the inside stopped and the line was much better. The fact he came in and started the day after he got here, played both guard spots and tackle, and did so competently to me he is exactly the kind of player you want in the stable.
Reply/Quote