Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow is doing beyond fantastic
(10-27-2020, 03:23 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I honesty have been stunned by the criticisms of Burrow expressed by a few people in a few threads.  

I do not pretend to be a football expert like several more knowledgeable people on this board.

But having been here since the beginning ( 1967) I have never previously seen a QB with this combination of physical and mental ability. Greg Cook comes the closest. 

The Brown family stumbled into this kid through blind luck. Are they going to blow this once in several generations opportunity?

Exhibit A- if this team does not significantly improve in the second half of season, why in the world would you give Taylor another year during Burrow's rookie contract as opposed to bringing in someone like Bill Cowher?

And while Cowher might not be interested, and some of you might name a better candidate, I promise you that a great coach on Cowher's level would die to bring a great staff to Cincinnati and to have a chance to lead a team with a QB like Burrow.

Feel the same, if Taylor and company don't improve significantly this year we need to bring in a proven HC and new 
coaches besides Simmons. Burrow is too damn good to waste, we can win a Super Bowl with this guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 07:18 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s right. I DID want a “bridge” quarterback and to draft Chase Young.

However, the Bengals drafted Joe Burrow and I’m behind him 100%. The draft is long gone.

I still stand by my assertion that if the Bengals do not improve and win Joe Burrow’s agent will find another team for him after his rookie contract ends.

Wow man. What a hot take.

If the worst team in the league, who drafts a #1 pick franchise qb, does not also improve other areas of the team, they won’t be very good.

You’re a true football visionary. New England should be looking at you for bills replacement.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:13 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: Wow man. What a hot take.

If the worst team in the league, who drafts a #1 pick franchise qb, does not also improve other areas of the team, they won’t be very good.

You’re a true football visionary. New England should be looking at you for bills replacement.

My issue here is Mike Brown. He has always believed if a team has a franchise quarterback that is all they need. He did this with Akili Smith and he did this with David Klingler. Watching Joe Burrow get hurried and sacked is getting old fast. Tennessee and Pittsburgh are going to break Joe in half if pass protection doesn’t get better. An elite quarterback deserves an elite offensive line. We have the opposite.

Besides, let’s look at run blocking. It’s freakin’ horrible. Talented running backs like Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard should be rushing for a hundred yards per game, not averaging three yards per carry. It is not a coincidence that the one game the Bengals won Joe Mixon rushed for over a hundred yards.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My issue here is Mike Brown. He has always believed if a team has a franchise quarterback that is all they need. He did this with Akili Smith and he did this with David Klingler. Watching Joe Burrow get hurried and sacked is getting old fast. Tennessee and Pittsburgh are going to break Joe in half if pass protection doesn’t get better. An elite quarterback deserves an elite offensive line. We have the opposite.

Besides, let’s look at run blocking. It’s freakin’ horrible. Talented running backs like Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard should be rushing for a hundred yards per game, not averaging three yards per carry. It is not a coincidence that the one game the Bengals won Joe Mixon rushed for over a hundred yards.

Then what would Chase young have done to help with anything?

The money from aj green should have been spent on ol

But they need another draft and FA to start fixing the worst team in the nfl last year
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My issue here is Mike Brown. He has always believed if a team has a franchise quarterback that is all they need. He did this with Akili Smith and he did this with David Klingler. Watching Joe Burrow get hurried and sacked is getting old fast. Tennessee and Pittsburgh are going to break Joe in half if pass protection doesn’t get better. An elite quarterback deserves an elite offensive line. We have the opposite.

The #1 overall pick is going to a bad team!

What don’t you get about this. If they had an elite line they wouldn’t be picking #1.

Lol. What the hell is going on? How isn’t this common sense
Reply/Quote
I think they are getting somewhat better with the play calling. The protection is improving. Need to develop more of a run game. Need to continue to develop the line so we can play against elite defenses.

Burrow though.. He's special. Couldn't be more impressed. I can see him learning game by game too. He's making rookie mistakes. But he just bounces back and throws completion after completion. That throw to AJ in the endzone that got swatted away was just beautiful. He just placed it in AJ's hands perfectly.

I'm confident in the direction of the offense. They need to keep drafting lineman. A solid guard/tackle in round 2 would be amazing (if one fell). Wouldn't mind a first round OT, but I like what I've seen from our tackles this year. They have along ways to go, but I think they've done alright. I think Hart has gotten better as the year went along. He could still develop into a good RT. But hey, if an elite OT were there in the 1st, take him. But at this point I think pass rusher is our biggest need. Def. don't want a guard in the 1st as we won't resign him to a 2nd contract. But in the end, it's smartest to go with the best player available--like we did this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:45 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I think they are getting somewhat better with the play calling. The protection is improving. Need to develop more of a run game. Need to continue to develop the line so we can play against elite defenses.

Burrow though.. He's special. Couldn't be more impressed. I can see him learning game by game too. He's making rookie mistakes. But he just bounces back and throws completion after completion. That throw to AJ in the endzone that got swatted away was just beautiful. He just placed it in AJ's hands perfectly.

I'm confident in the direction of the offense. They need to keep drafting lineman. A solid guard/tackle in round 2 would be amazing (if one fell). Wouldn't mind a first round OT, but I like what I've seen from our tackles this year. They have along ways to go, but I think they've done alright. I think Hart has gotten better as the year went along. He could still develop into a good RT. But hey, if an elite OT were there in the 1st, take him. But at this point I think pass rusher is our biggest need. Def. don't want a guard in the 1st as we won't resign him to a 2nd contract. But in the end, it's smartest to go with the best player available--like we did this year.

Agree with everything you say here man. Yeah, that throw to AJ in the end zone was beautiful especially since Burrow had to pick 
the ball off the ground first. Haven't seen that before from a rookie. The lack of panic from Burrow is so frickin' rare man.

Dive into FA for the O-line the way they did the D last FA and Draft D-line and we could be going from sucky to damn good relatively 
quickly with Burrow and these weapons.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with everything you say here man. Yeah, that throw to AJ in the end zone was beautiful especially since Burrow had to pick 
the ball off the ground first. Haven't seen that before from a rookie. The lack of panic from Burrow is so frickin' rare man.

Dive into FA for the O-line the way they did the D last FA and Draft D-line and we could be going from sucky to damn good relatively 
quickly with Burrow and these weapons.

I agree. We can make a huge jump next year. This offense looks like it could turn elite by the end of the season--the way they're progressing. Focus on the lines and grab some depth at corner this off-season--we could be really good.

Burrow just sees the field so well in every aspect. He's extremely smart--which I value more than any trait for a QB. His leadership and drive are A+ as well. Pocket awareness. Toughness. Pin point accuracy. He's got everything (maybe not elite arm strength--but that's not necessary to be an elite QB).

It's crazy how many good young QBs are in the NFL right now. It'll be fun to see how far Burrow rises in the ranks.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 09:01 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I agree. We can make a huge jump next year. This offense looks like it could turn elite by the end of the season--the way they're progressing. Focus on the lines and grab some depth at corner this off-season--we could be really good.

Burrow just sees the field so well in every aspect. He's extremely smart--which I value more than any trait for a QB. His leadership and drive are A+ as well. Pocket awareness. Toughness. Pin point accuracy. He's got everything (maybe not elite arm strength--but that's not necessary to be an elite QB).

It's crazy how many good young QBs are in the NFL right now. It'll be fun to see how far Burrow rises in the ranks.

Well said, feel the same and expected this team to start out slow with this OL. Burrow has been better than I expected and I 
expected him to break records he is that special. You get this guy protection and a run game to go along with these weapons 
and this Offense could turn elite with Burrow. Burrow is also clutch and has put us in a position to win every game except the 
Ravens game. Happy the play calling has came along under Taylor but still, how much of this has to do with Burrow?

The Defense needs to get healthy and we need to add a few players, pass rushers and DT's namely but we can still win a lot 
of games. Just need to get over that hump with Taylor, for some reason we just lose games with this guy at the helm.

Hope this changes soon. Taylor couldn't have a better young QB to do it.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, Mike Brown was so obsessed with having an elite QB that he gave Andy Dalton 9 years at the helm...

They’ve gone OL 5x in the first 2 rounds over the last decade (Jonah, Price, Ogbuehi, Fisher, Zeitler), and traded for Glenn. This assertion that they ignore the OL is completely untrue. The issue has been missing on the picks (and not addressing it in FA). But they do realize it’s a problem, and have been trying to fix it for years.

What happened in the 90’s is ancient history, and has nothing to do with how the team is currently being run (not saying it’s perfect or even close). Just like how some are choosing to completely ignore the 150 mil we just spent in FA (3rd most in the league) isn’t business as usual for this team.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My issue here is Mike Brown. He has always believed if a team has a franchise quarterback that is all they need. He did this with Akili Smith and he did this with David Klingler.   Watching Joe Burrow get hurried and sacked is getting old fast.  Tennessee and Pittsburgh are going to break Joe in half if pass protection doesn’t get better.  An elite quarterback deserves an elite offensive line.  We have the opposite.

Besides, let’s look at run blocking.  It’s freakin’ horrible.  Talented running backs like Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard should be rushing for a hundred yards per game, not averaging three yards per carry.  It is not a coincidence that the one game the Bengals won Joe Mixon rushed for over a hundred yards.

Akili Smith and David Klingler weren't good and weren't going to be good.

I like how you go back 20 to 30 years and find 2 guys.... yet ignore the most recent 3. WTF? You were and are wrong. Own it. Laugh at yourself a bit. And be relieved that your boy, Blandy Dullton, isn't here boring us to death any more and a football god is now running the plays.

They will fix the line. The Bengals had a great line for most (not all, but most) of the last 17 years or more.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 09:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Akili Smith and David Klingler weren't good and weren't going to be good.

I like how you go back 20 to 30 years and find 2 guys.... yet ignore the most recent 3. WTF? You were and are wrong. Bask in it, like the rest of us. Own it. Laugh at yourself a bit. And be relieved that your boy, Blandy Dullton, isn't here boring us to death any more and a football god is now running the plays.

They will fix the line. The Bengals had a great line for most (not all, but most) of the last 17 years or more.

Man, it would be really refreshing if more people actually did this. Sadly though, more often than not they just dig their heels in and double down on their wrongness.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 06:04 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There is indeed lots to like about Joe Burrow.  However, a 1-5-1 record doesn't lie.  I'm not putting these losses on Joe Burrow but I believe this record proves the Bengals need far more than a new quarterback to get back to the playoffs.  Furthermore, I don't think the Front Office realizes this.

If they didn't realize it, why would they draft the way they have and spend the amount of money they spent in FA this year?

Sure, they could have drafted and signed different but what they did certainly shows they realize it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My issue here is Mike Brown. He has always believed if a team has a franchise quarterback that is all they need. He did this with Akili Smith and he did this with David Klingler.   Watching Joe Burrow get hurried and sacked is getting old fast.  Tennessee and Pittsburgh are going to break Joe in half if pass protection doesn’t get better.  An elite quarterback deserves an elite offensive line.  We have the opposite.

Besides, let’s look at run blocking.  It’s freakin’ horrible.  Talented running backs like Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard should be rushing for a hundred yards per game, not averaging three yards per carry.  It is not a coincidence that the one game the Bengals won Joe Mixon rushed for over a hundred yards.

He's never once said "that's all they need". He feels it's the most important position but he's never indicated it was the only position. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's never once said "that's all they need". He feels it's the most important position but he's never indicated it was the only position. 

Classic made up board narrative.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Classic made up board narrative.

I just don't understand how statement like that are made...when it's so easy to use the google on their internet machines. 

Reply/Quote