Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franchise's Moving
(02-02-2017, 09:07 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Some people are smart enough to avoid unnecessary complications over emotional ties to something as frivolous as a sports team.  That's why owners are rich enough to be owners and we aren't.  

Besides, it's a moot point.  The team name, colors, and history are all owned by the owner, who may relinquish them as Modell did, but who are under no obligation to do so.

First, we're all here due to emotional ties to something as frivolous as a sorts team.

Second, I know the owners are under no obligation, and I don't want it legislated. I'm just kinda wishing it had been a sort of unwritten rule with sports teams from the beginning that when you create a team in a city, they become part of the city's fabric and identity, and as such it would be nice to leave them with the city should you move your franchise.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 06:29 PM)Beaker Wrote: First, we're all here due to emotional ties to something as frivolous as a sorts team.

Second, I know the owners are under no obligation, and I don't want it legislated. I'm just kinda wishing it had been a sort of unwritten rule with sports teams from the beginning that when you create a team in a city, they become part of the city's fabric and identity, and as such it would be nice to leave them with the city should you move your franchise.

Yeah, I get that. 

But put yourself in an owner's shoes.  A fan feels a very real connection to the team, but an owner has a much more personal connection.  A fan roots for the players, but an owner knows those players and has the opportunity to be involved in their lives.  A fan experiences highs and lows with the wins and losses of the team, but an owner is personally invested in the successes and failures.  I get what you're saying, but I don't think that the investment of a community of fans compares to that of an owner. 
Reply/Quote