Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAS
This is a metric I've never really heard of before this year, But It seems to measure how a prospect ranks based on athletic traits
https://relativeathleticscores.com/2021/01/23/2021-draft-class-ras/

10.0 being the highest.

How some board favs rank:

Chase: 9.81
Sewell: 8.99
Pitts: 9.66
Meinerz: 9.98

Some fine favs:
M. Williams: 9.96
N. Collins 9.57
J. Davis 9.94
T.Smith: 9.91
S. Brown: 10.0
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 01:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This is a metric I've never really heard of before this year, But It seems to measure how a prospect ranks based on athletic traits
https://relativeathleticscores.com/2021/01/23/2021-draft-class-ras/

10.0 being the highest.

How some board favs rank:

Chase: 9.81
Sewell: 8.99
Pitts: 9.66
Meinerz: 9.98

Some fine favs:
M. Williams: 9.96
N. Collins 9.57
J. Davis 9.94
T.Smith: 9.91
S. Brown: 10.0

RAS was one of the components in the Next Gen Stats "Can't Miss Prospects" list Nicomo posted earlier.

Interesting that Sewell is 22nd among OL.  I would think he would have tested better.
Reply/Quote
Holy spencer brown. Grab Meinerz in the third and spencer brown in the 4th best available pass rusher in 2 and chase in 1. Boom.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 09:14 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Holy spencer brown.  Grab Meinerz in the third and spencer brown in the 4th best available pass rusher in 2 and chase in 1.  Boom.

Scouts feel Brown will be elite in 2 years NFL
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 09:14 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Holy spencer brown. Grab Meinerz in the third and spencer brown in the 4th best available pass rusher in 2 and chase in 1. Boom.

If only it were that easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 10:43 AM)Whatever Wrote: RAS was one of the components in the Next Gen Stats "Can't Miss Prospects" list Nicomo posted earlier.

Interesting that Sewell is 22nd among OL.  I would think he would have tested better.

This includes many OL much lighter than Sewell.

Among lineman 330lbs and more his score becomes much more impressive.

And among all OT 330lbs and higher, since 1987, he has the 8th highest all-time RAS. 1 spot above Whit.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
The only thing I don't like is that Height & Weight are part of the overall composite score. I'd personally like us to take that into consideration ourselves and not have a guy's score drop too far because he's an inch or two shorter.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 11:35 PM)Burma Wrote: And among all OT 330lbs and higher, since 1987, he has the 8th highest all-time RAS. 1 spot above Whit.

This chart shows me that RAS should not be the determinative factor in drafting OL -- you've got Whit, Peters, Clifton and seven duds.  Too soon to tell for Becton (and I guess Diem had a decent career, wasn't technically a dud ...)
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 10:56 AM)shanebo Wrote: This chart shows me that RAS should not be the determinative factor in drafting OL -- you've got Whit, Peters, Clifton and seven duds.  Too soon to tell for Becton (and I guess Diem had a decent career, wasn't technically a dud ...)

Of course, that goes without saying.  Maybe Al Davis would disagree, but you have to pair demonstrable skill with that athletic ability. I am not too familiar with some of those names on that list so I looked them up

Ryan Diem: 4th round
Todd Williams: 7th round
Derrick Fletcher: 5th round 
Stacy Andrews: 4th round
Ramon Harewood: 6th round
Joe Toledo: 4th round

It looks pretty clear based on their draft range that these were not the most skilled players. Projects like Andrews, or just depth signings.  So based on that it does seem to indicate a strong correlation between skill paired with a higher RAS and successful careers. (kind of obvious statement but oh well).

There is a good read correlating high RAS and sack production, as well. It's a bit older (2017) but still worth looking at.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2017/05/05/relative-athletic-scores-directly-correlate-to-sack-production-in-the-nfl/

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 02:09 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: The only thing I don't like is that Height & Weight are part of the overall composite score. I'd personally like us to take that into consideration ourselves and not have a guy's score drop too far because he's an inch or two shorter.

Yeah, I thought that was a bit odd. Sure, it's a useful metric to look at, but not indicative of athletic prowess.  

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 11:48 AM)Burma Wrote: Yeah, I thought that was a bit odd. Sure, it's a useful metric to look at, but not indicative of athletic prowess.  

I don't really look at the size part, or even the bench. I look at the explosion, speed, and agility.
I do look at arm length though for OL.
I'd have to go back and check, but I believe only one of the Top 25 OTs in the NFL last year according to PFF ratings had an arm length less than 33", and it was Braden Smith, RT of the Colts.
This draft class has a lot of OTs with less than 33" arms, so quite a few of them may have to move inside to succeed in the NFL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote