Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RB positional spending 2021
The Bengals are currently paying the 5th most money to the RB position in 2021 - $14.5 mill. Most of this is from Mixon ($8.1 mill) and Bernard ($4.75 mill). Trayveon Williams and Jacques Patrick make up the remaining bit.

If the Bengals cut Bernard, they can save $4.1 mill, which would put them 8th most in the league.

Out of the Top 10 teams paying RBs in 2021, only the Titans, Saints, and Ravens made the playoffs this past year (30%).

On the flip side, out of the Bottom 10 teams paying RBs in 2021, the Packers, Bills, Steelers, Buccaneers, and Rams made the playoffs (50%). The Packers, Bills, and Steelers were in the Bottom 5.

So, with all of this information, should the Bengals become a more run-focused team in 2021 since they are paying so much to RBs?
I mean, if you're going to pay Mixon (and Bernard), you should probably have the running game be more of a focal point, right?
They brought in Pollack in a dual role of OL coach and running game coordinator. And we all know Mixon was a Top 5 RB in the league back in 2018 when Pollack was OL coach even though he had an OL of Glenn-Boling-Price-Redmond-Hart.

If they don't make the running game more of a focus in 2021, should the Bengals look to part ways with Mixon in 2022?
Moving on from him in 2022 would free up $3.2 mill in cap (along with $25.9 mill in 2022-2023). If moved on in 2023, $7.35 mill cap freed up (along with $13.05 mill in 2023). If moved on in 2023, $10.3 mill saved in cap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 01:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I don’t know about being a more run focused team. This is just more proof you don’t spend on RB’s. An UDFA RB named James Robinson just finished like 5th in the league in rushing. 99% of RB’s are replaceable by a rookie.

I would have to agree - I think Henry, Kamara and maybe Cook are the only RBs that bring something extra that can’t be easily replaced.
And they tend to drop off quick, too. Look at Elliott with Dallas. I hope that Mixon can come back just as strong as he was but I think that giving him a big contract may end up being a mistake. Hope I am wrong.
Reply/Quote
4 out of the 6 wins under Taylor the Bengals have rushed for more than 150 yards. So I would say running is more important to the teams success than people realize. So yeah I expect this team to run the ball more this upcoming season.
Should they cut Bernard? No he is a perfect 3rd down Back and locker room guy.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
RB's are not as important as they were 5-10yrs ago. Yes, you need a good one and solid backup. Not to sound like MB here, but I would'nt drop a ton of cash on RB's unless you are trying to keep a championship team together and they were a big part of it, which they're not.

Reply/Quote
Said in the offseason to not pay Mixon. Think Fred toast decided to argue. You can pay peanuts for a UDFA and still get results. Look at the examples across he league.

But I still feel that Bernard has a place in the offense.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 02:29 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I would have to agree - I think Henry, Kamara and maybe Cook are the only RBs that bring something extra that can’t be easily replaced.
And they tend to drop off quick, too.  Look at Elliott with Dallas.  I hope that Mixon can come back just as strong as he was but I think that giving him a big contract may end up being a mistake. Hope I am wrong.

Elliott went from running behind an OL with 3 All-Pros to running behind an OL with 0 All-Pros. 

Meanwhile Aaron Jones for the Packers gets to run behind 2 All-Pros and 1 Pro Bowler and now he's tearing it up in the postseason against the #1 defense.

The key to a good running game is a good OL. Unless your RB is Barry Sanders, he's going to need good OL if he's going to be any good. Combined with how replaceable RBs are, and it is just absurd to pay the vast majority of RBs out there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 08:51 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Said in the offseason to not pay Mixon. Think Fred toast decided to argue. You can pay peanuts for a UDFA and still get results. Look at the examples across he league.

But I still feel that Bernard has a place in the offense.

I think Bernard made more than or 2 starting OG's combined (ones who started most of the year/

Why?

Here is a thought, cut Bernard and pay a guard more (just one) to block for our QB and RB's
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It's weird that when mixon went out ,our running backs were boring but more productive. I'm jealous of Cleveland, their running backs are tough and both good. I don't see our highly paid RB running over anyone he goes down pretty easy for a big rb and gets hurt a lot. I like mixon but I agree that rbs are a dime a dozen. And has a lot to do with the o lines. Even Barry Sanders needed a o line to really win something.
Reply/Quote
Assuming Burrow and the team start having more success and Burrow wants a second contract...

I would venture to say that we will adopt a strategy in which we draft running backs and let them leave once Burrow is under a big money deal. We won't be able to afford to spend as much as we are capable of affording right now.

Mixon likely plays out his contract, as does Bernard. It's nice to have those two. Bernard is great in protection, on 3rd down, and in the passing game. Mixon can be a workhorse running back in a more power scheme with play action.

The offensive line just needs to improve for our running game to get better. Hopefully they bring in a couple promising players in the offseason and Pollack does a good job with the oline and run game.

I think it was a good move to resign both of them. You don't always hit on draft picks. When you do, it's nice to bring them back if they are performing. Mixon and Bernard can certainly perform. They should have taken this strategy with Whit and Zeitler. We could have afforded them as well (or at least one of them).
Reply/Quote
I'd rather see the team spend the money on players that are performing than not spend the money.
Green isn't worth the money. Let him walk. Spend the money on:
Lawson performed well, sign him.
WJ3 performed well for the most part, letting him walk would create a need.
Bring in offensive line help in FA.
Reply/Quote
If you're going to pay a RB, doing it when you have a QB on a rookie contract is the time to do it, I think.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 05:29 AM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: If you're going to pay a RB, doing it when you have a QB on a rookie contract is the time to do it, I think.

Yet, the interior OL guards are paid peanuts and can't block for neither QB or the RB's. It looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

Both sides of the ball start with a great line, we are weak on OL and DL = disaster
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals are currently paying the 5th most money to the RB position in 2021 - $14.5 mill. Most of this is from Mixon ($8.1 mill) and Bernard ($4.75 mill). Trayveon Williams and Jacques Patrick make up the remaining bit.

If the Bengals cut Bernard, they can save $4.1 mill, which would put them 8th most in the league.

Out of the Top 10 teams paying RBs in 2021, only the Titans, Saints, and Ravens made the playoffs this past year (30%).

On the flip side, out of the Bottom 10 teams paying RBs in 2021, the Packers, Bills, Steelers, Buccaneers, and Rams made the playoffs (50%). The Packers, Bills, and Steelers were in the Bottom 5.

So, with all of this information, should the Bengals become a more run-focused team in 2021 since they are paying so much to RBs?
I mean, if you're going to pay Mixon (and Bernard), you should probably have the running game be more of a focal point, right?
They brought in Pollack in a dual role of OL coach and running game coordinator. And we all know Mixon was a Top 5 RB in the league back in 2018 when Pollack was OL coach even though he had an OL of Glenn-Boling-Price-Redmond-Hart.

If they don't make the running game more of a focus in 2021, should the Bengals look to part ways with Mixon in 2022?
Moving on from him in 2022 would free up $3.2 mill in cap (along with $25.9 mill in 2022-2023). If moved on in 2023, $7.35 mill cap freed up (along with $13.05 mill in 2023). If moved on in 2023, $10.3 mill saved in cap.

I was surprised we weren't spending the most honestly with both Mixon and Gio. Yes, I would move on from Mixon if we don't
use him more and he doesn't stay healthy most importantly and I love Mixon. But you just cannot spend that much money on 
RB's and not enough on the O-line IMO. We need to use the running game much more regardless of the RB's. This will take 
pressure off of Burrow and we need to do this along with solidifying the OL first.

We need to also use the backs we have more in the passing game and use it as an extended part of the running game.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 06:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I was surprised we weren't spending the most honestly with both Mixon and Gio. Yes, I would move on from Mixon if we don't
use him more and he doesn't stay healthy most importantly and I love Mixon. But you just cannot spend that much money on 
RB's and not enough on the O-line IMO. We need to use the running game much more regardless of the RB's. This will take 
pressure off of Burrow and we need to do this along with solidifying the OL first.

We need to also use the backs we have more in the passing game and use it as an extended part of the running game.

The bolded statement is a huge part of it.  I think it's easier to justify higher dollars to a RB who's not just a running threat, but an integral part of the passing game.  If they're one-dimensional backs, you can certainly get away with a lower-quality player and a higher-quality OL.  I still don't feel that in their time here together Mixon and Gio have been properly utilized to their fullest potential, so it's a lot harder to justify how much we're paying both of them to be here.  
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 06:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I was surprised we weren't spending the most honestly with both Mixon and Gio. Yes, I would move on from Mixon if we don't

I think the Bengals did use the RB a good amount in the passing game. Mixon and Bernard combined for 68 receptions on 85 targets. That'd be 4th most in the offense if by a single person. Add another 17 targets for Perine and Trayveon Williams, and you're looking at 102 targets to all RBs.

That 102 total targets to RBs is 17th in the NFL. Ahead of the following playoff teams: SEA, CHI, PIT, CLE, BUF, LAR, BAL, and TEN (57% of playoff teams).

Here's the data in case you're interested - https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets-distribution/rb.php
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals are currently paying the 5th most money to the RB position in 2021 - $14.5 mill. Most of this is from Mixon ($8.1 mill) and Bernard ($4.75 mill). Trayveon Williams and Jacques Patrick make up the remaining bit.

is mixon gonna play this year?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 11:12 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: is mixon gonna play this year?

Why would he not?
He hasn't played since mid-Oct, so he'll have plenty of time to fully recover.
Plus, he was super excited when Pollack was signed, so I imagine he's ready to get back out there again.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Mixon and Gio contracts are so bad. I love them both, but it completely goes against how teams approach paying the running back position these days.

You draft a running back when you need one on a rookie contract. Look what the Rams did with Cam Akers.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Would like to at least see them utilize a far better screen game and throws into the flat for the RB's if they're paying them that much money. Would certainly allow Burrow to check down more and get rid of the ball instead of waiting for this perennial horse shit OL to protect them.
Bengals for years watch opponent after opponent run those same plays for big yardage.
Reply/Quote
I just saw the Ravens released Ingrim after they drafted Dobbins and how he performed as a rookie. This is the way.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote