Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS APRIL GAMES THREAD
(04-17-2021, 09:20 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: Reminds me of some of the games I watched back in the 1970's.

Yup..been awhile hasn't it?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's time to move on from Sal Romano

St Louis 0 runs
St Louis 2 runs 1 HR
St Louis 0 runs
Pittsburgh 1 run 1 HR
Arizona 1 run 1 HR
San Francisco 1 run
Cleveland 2 runs 1 HR

12.1 innings 7 runs 4 HRs

Bull Durham's Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh . . . a million dollar arm and a 5 cent head.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 04:18 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: It's time to move on from Sal Romano

St Louis 0 runs
St Louis 2 runs 1 HR
St Louis 0 runs
Pittsburgh 1 run 1 HR
Arizona 1 run 1 HR
San Francisco 1 run
Cleveland 2 runs 1 HR

12.1 innings 7 runs 4 HRs

Bull Durham's Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh . . . a million dollar arm and a 5 cent head.

He hasn't been truly good at any level of baseball. He has a career 4.31 ERA/1.411 WHIP in the Minors and 5.10 ERA/1.441 WHIP in the Majors. 

Sometimes you just have to accept that a guy is what he is.

- - - - -

Side note:
It's really weird how the Reds handle promotions in the minors. Romano was a 23rd round pick out of HS, throws 64 innings of 5.32 ERA/1.508 WHIP baseball at the Rookie level, and goes to A ball the next year. Mahle was a 7th round pick out of HS, throws 34.1 innings of 2.36 ERA/1.165 WHIP baseball at the Rookie level, and has to spend the entire next year at the Rookie level.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
There's No Place Like Home for Reds in April so far. Winning series from St Louis, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Next up Arizona in Cincy. GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Romano was throwing 98-99 when he came up as a starter and Mahle was throwing 95. Mahle's hit 97 a few times this year so he's still getting stronger. I'm assuming they moved up Romano because he was lighting up the radar gun and Mahle was probably still in the "getting there" stage.

Cards, Cubs lost and the Pirates beat the Brewers in extra innings so no change in the standings except the Pirates moved up into 4th (2.5 back) while dropping the Cubs to last. Cardinals go to Washington tomorrow and the Brewers fly out to tough San Diego. Tuesday sees the Pirates at Detroit, the Cubs hosting the Mets and The Reds hoping to get revenge on the D-Backs with Castillo vs Gallen, Mahle vs Kelly and Hoffman vs Widener. They'll miss seeing Weaver who completely shut them down in Arizona.

Reds get a day off before 9 straight(3 each vs Arizona, @ St Louis and @ Los Angeles). They get a day off before 3 against the Cubs. Then a day off before 2 against the White Sox and then another day off . . . That's when they play 17 straight. Going to really test that bullpen in that stretch.
3 @ Cleveland
3 @ Pittsburgh
4 @ Colorado
4 vs San Francisco - back to back 4 game series
3 vs Milwaukee

Other schedule notes, June 20th they finish a 4 game set at San Diego and that's the last of their trips out West. Good to get those out of the way early. The longest trip the rest of the season after that is @ Miami at the end of August.

9 of the Reds last 18 games are against Pittsburgh. Take away the Reds sweep of them and they are 7-6 so they should not be taken lightly. Let's hope that they are out of it and are playing lots of September call ups.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
The weather forecast for Arizona at Cincinnati is just awful all 3 games. Cold, Rain and even Snow. MLB will try to get them in because it's the last time Reds play Arizona, but the weather looks lousy for baseball. I've been to Reds games on April Ohio cold rain and snow and it is not a fun day at the ball park for fans or players. I always remember a young Gary Nolan throwing his arm out in this weather. He came back a year later with a curve ball and pitching to have a long World Series career, but he never had the fastball again that had him as one of the League Leaders in Strikeouts his first years. So I always worry about injuries in the early season Ohio cold awful weather, hopefully there are none this week.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 08:38 AM)kevin Wrote: The weather forecast for Arizona at Cincinnati is just awful all 3 games.  Cold, Rain and even Snow.  MLB will try to get them in because it's the last time Reds play Arizona, but the weather looks lousy for baseball.  I've been to Reds games on April Ohio cold rain and snow and it is not a fun day at the ball park for fans or players. I always remember a young Gary Nolan throwing his arm out in this weather. He came back a year later with a curve ball and pitching to have a long World Series career, but he never had the fastball again that had him as one of the League Leaders in Strikeouts his first years. So I always worry about injuries in the early season Ohio cold awful weather, hopefully there are none this week.
Big problem back then was they would keep pitchers out there till their arms were ready to fall off.. They don't do that much anymore..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Got to be the dumbest ump crew ever. Should have stopped the game well before Sims gave up the go ahead run. Even worse that they wanted to keep the game going in pouring rain/sleet and with Sims not able to grip a ball.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Amir Garrett needs to get rid of that stupid AG personality and start getting people out. He lost the last game and his appearance before that was saved by a Votto triple play. I doubt he finishes the season.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
And now he gives up a three run home run to Van Meter. Worthless.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
AG is horrible. Bell is worse for putting him in. Reds need to do something at closer.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
As Marty used to say...THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE
Reply/Quote
The Garrett closer experiment should be over now.
Reply/Quote
I absolutely hate David Bell as a manager. He's worse with a bullpen than Pete Rose.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
David Bell is absolutely horrible. What a season buzz kill
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Star 
Reds lose first home series. Also lose 2 series to Arizona. Arizona goes for SWEEP of Reds Thursday.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The only thing worse then AG giving up the 3 run homer was sitting there at that game in the cold ass weather to watch it.

That was just so horrible to see...

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
David Bell is, has, and will be a terrible manager. Unless of the Reds can win games by 7, he is always going to keep sabotaging wins. Almost like you shouldn't hire based off nepotism.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
About time the offense wakes up!
Reply/Quote
Serious question:

What is worse, the Reds bullpen or Bell's use of the bullpen?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote