Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS JULY GAMES THREAD
Off to a 2-0 start in July. Several games with the Brewers this month which will go a long way in determining if they can win the division.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
If the Reds never have to play the Padres again, that will help...

This weekend series gives them the chance to move into 2nd in the division.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Reds win again and go for the sweep tomorrow! They also move into 2nd place in the division although 8 games back. They are 3rd in the wild card race 6 games back of SD for the 2nd spot.
Reply/Quote
Good 4th of July match-up. Cubs are 1 win over .500 and at Reds 2 games over .500 with 10 win Hendricks and No Hitter Miley on the mound.

At age 66, I will kick back and watch REDS 4th of July Game, and have my chicken wings, cole slaw, macaroni salad and some strawberries with cool whip during game. I will probably fall asleep like Thanksgiving. Then wake up as fireworks go off in neighborhood I live in that shoots off the big ones into morning, and I'll turn on TV fireworks out of DC, NY and Boston, and eat some more.

The 4th, a great day for Baseball, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Chicken Wings, Ice Cream, Strawberries, Watermelon, Fireworks. CUBS AT REDS a great 4th of July Game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
This ump crew has had a garbage strike zone the whole series for both teams. I'm stunned no one has been ejected yet.
Reply/Quote
Brewers finally lose a game 2-0 to the Pirates ending their 11 game win streak. Reds up 3-2 in the 8th and can gain a game if they hold on.
Reply/Quote
SWEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Sending the hordes of annoying Cubs fans home without a single win is just the best.

Reply/Quote
Sweet sweep Rock On

Now if they can just keep it going vs. Brewers
Reply/Quote
The Reds, . . . that is, The Cincinnati Reds, . . . have swept a series from all four division opponents this year. It's been a long time since that's happened mainly due to the Cardinals bullying the Reds for well over a decade. Years ago, in the old NL West, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Houston, LA, San Diego and San Francisco were divisional rivals and when the Dodgers came to town . . . the whole Ohio Valley was buzzing. Houston had Nolan Ryan then Biggio/Bagwell, SF had Willie McCovey then Will Clark, the Padres had Dave Winfield then Tony Gwynn, the Braves had Dale Murphy then Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine. There was a connection with these rivals. Then they moved Atlanta to the East, Cincy and Houston to the Central with long time NL East teams Chicago, St Louis and Pittsburgh. Shortly after, Houston and Milwaukee switched leagues so our old connection to the NL West was completely shut off. 86 games played every year against 15 teams outside of the division which means 76 games against the four teams within the division. As much as I hated the fights the last few years, I did kind of get a little excited that most of them came against division rivals. I missed that spark!

22-12 division record so far this year . . . 10-22 vs NL West with thankfully only three games remaining against the Dodgers in mid September.

5-4 vs Milwaukee with seven straight games coming up, four @ Milwaukee before the break and three in Cincinnati coming out of the break. They only play one three game series after that and that series is sandwiched in between 7 games against the Marlins in late August
6-4 vs St Louis with nine remaining
6-3 vs Chicago with 10 remaining
5-1 vs Pittsburgh with 13 remaining including nine of the last 18 games of the season.

Division records as of July 4th
22-12 Reds(34 division games played - 42 to go with 79 total games remaining)
23-14 Brewers(37 - 39 to go with 77 remaining)
20-20 Cubs(40 - 36 to go with 78 remaining)
13-17 Cardinals(30 - 46 to go with 77 remaining)
11-26 Pirates(37 - 39 to go with 79 remaining)

Starting staff falling into place
Bullpen having a good run with help coming down the road(Lorenzen, Santillan, Greene?)
Rookies playing well(India, Stephenson, Lopez, Gutierrez, Santillan, Osich, Hendrix)
Larkin mentioned that the front office looks to be active soon . . . expect Naquin, Aquino(I am tired of watching this man attempt to play baseball), Akiyama and some minor leaguers to be discussed in trades for bullpen help.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 03:22 PM)cinci4life Wrote: This ump crew has had a garbage strike zone the whole series for both teams. I'm stunned no one has been ejected yet.

This seems to be going around.  If you were a conspiracy-minded person, you might think that the league is putting garbage umps out there to influence public opinion about robo umps.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 11:29 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The Reds, . . . that is, The Cincinnati Reds, . . . have swept a series from all four division opponents this year. It's been a long time since that's happened mainly due to the Cardinals bullying the Reds for well over a decade. Years ago, in the old NL West, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Houston, LA, San Diego and San Francisco were divisional rivals and when the Dodgers came to town . . . the whole Ohio Valley was buzzing. Houston had Nolan Ryan then Biggio/Bagwell, SF had Willie McCovey then Will Clark, the Padres had Dave Winfield then Tony Gwynn, the Braves had Dale Murphy then Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine. There was a connection with these rivals. Then they moved Atlanta to the East, Cincy and Houston to the Central with long time NL East teams Chicago, St Louis and Pittsburgh. Shortly after, Houston and Milwaukee switched leagues so our old connection to the NL West was completely shut off.  86 games played every year against 15 teams outside of the division which means 76 games against the four teams within the division. As much as I hated the fights the last few years, I did kind of get a little excited that most of them came against division rivals. I missed that spark!

22-12 division record so far this year . . . 10-22 vs NL West with thankfully only three games remaining against the Dodgers in mid September.

5-4 vs Milwaukee with seven straight games coming up, four @ Milwaukee before the break and three in Cincinnati coming out of the break. They only play one three game series after that and that series is sandwiched in between 7 games against the Marlins in late August
6-4 vs St Louis with nine remaining
6-3 vs Chicago with 10 remaining
5-1 vs Pittsburgh with 13 remaining including nine of the last 18 games of the season.

Division records as of July 4th
22-12 Reds(34 division games played - 42 to go with 79 total games remaining)
23-14 Brewers(37 - 39 to go with 77 remaining)
20-20 Cubs(40 - 36 to go with 78 remaining)
13-17 Cardinals(30 - 46 to go with 77 remaining)
11-26 Pirates(37 - 39 to go with 79 remaining)

Starting staff falling into place
Bullpen having a good run with help coming down the road(Lorenzen, Santillan, Greene?)
Rookies playing well(India, Stephenson, Lopez, Gutierrez, Santillan, Osich, Hendrix)
Larkin mentioned that the front office looks to be active soon . . . expect Naquin, Aquino(I am tired of watching this man attempt to play baseball), Akiyama and some minor leaguers to be discussed in trades for bullpen help.

I doubt Naquin goes, but you never know.  The guy I wonder about is Senzel.  He never seems to find his place position-wise.  The rise of India makes that even more apparent.  His injury obviously hurts his value, but he could still be viewed as a high upside player by a team looking to sell off assets for a rebuild.  

He's not exactly been a terrible player when healthy.  He's a decent hitter and fields well for a guy that gets dragged all over the field positionally.  

I hate to say it about such a highly regarded prospect, but I wouldn't even notice if the guy wasn't on the team at this point.
Reply/Quote
IF..big IF the Red's can sweep Milwaukee both series and beatup on the Cards and Cubs and the Mets this team may just find themselves in the catbird seat..
I'm not in the business of predicting such deliciousness, but i will be just a bit more than happy as a pig in sh__ if they pull it off.. SHHHHHH!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Good news is Brewers lost again. Better news is they have to face DeGrom tomorrow which very likely another loss. Reds need to take advantage.
Reply/Quote
Reds win and are 6 back of 1st. SD currently losing 5-0 in the 3rd. If that holds Reds are just 4.5 back of the 2nd wild card spot.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 12:12 PM)samhain Wrote: I doubt Naquin goes, but you never know.  The guy I wonder about is Senzel.  He never seems to find his place position-wise.  The rise of India makes that even more apparent.  His injury obviously hurts his value, but he could still be viewed as a high upside player by a team looking to sell off assets for a rebuild.  

He's not exactly been a terrible player when healthy.  He's a decent hitter and fields well for a guy that gets dragged all over the field positionally.  

I hate to say it about such a highly regarded prospect, but I wouldn't even notice if the guy wasn't on the team at this point.
Good point about Senzel. I forgot about him . . . He gets a pass for now mainly due to the Reds hyping him so much that parting ways this early in his career would look a bit pre-mature.

As far as Naquin goes, they don't need another "barely on the team" reliever, they need a stud closer and a solid set up man. Losing Naquin would cost them nothing. All of the investment into his development was by another franchise so throwing him in with Aquino, Payton or Heineman and a minor league prospect would be worth filling one of those two holes. Akiyama and Senzel can hold down center field if that happens. I highly doubt that they'll pull of two trades for quality relievers. They got rid of their two best relievers for nothing so they could free up some money to sign a SS and it never happened so expecting them to actually do their jobs and get two quality arms at the deadline is a bit naive.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Couple nice catches back-to-back (even if LC’s was just luck).

Reply/Quote
Defense on point tonight.

Reply/Quote
JFC they actually blew a 6-1 lead against a terrible KC team…

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2021, 12:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: JFC they actually blew a 6-1 lead against a terrible KC team…

And they lose. This is on Suarez for booting a sure double play. Un fkn real.
Reply/Quote